Ropieee with display - perfect! :)

Spockfish Hi Harry, could you clarify this for me? What does the radio-like icon mean? I see three icons on my touchscreen (the radio thing, the toggle, and the repeat).!

Here’s my battery powered “portable” with Dragonfly Cobalt DAC. The radio ICON turns on and off Roon Radio.

2 Likes

Jim_F Thank you so much. I could not for the life of me figure that one out.

1 Like

Finished building mine a few nights ago.

Has anyone tried any larger screens. I have just been looking ThePiHut in the UK and there are some 10" screens with 1280 x 800 resolution. Or is it just the official 7" screen?

1 Like

Just the official 7" screen, which uses the Raspberry Pi’s DSI (Display Serial Interface) port.

1 Like

Can I add a screen to any endpoint? I currently have a Allo USBridge Sig feeding a RME ADI-2 DAC FS on my desktop. I have a spare rpi4b I am not currenly using, could I add a screen and case and the show what is on my desktop endpoint? How do I go about that?

You can use the RoPieee software and point the RPi4 at any endpoint to display what’s playing to that endpoint. You simply specify the particular endpoint you want when doing the RoPieee setup. It’s easy to change also.

1 Like

I rejigged some kit last night to free up a rpi4 for my new screen.

I had a few teething issues, firstly I set up wired, I then try to run wirelessly, and when I load the credentials in via the ropieee web interface the rpi4 wants to reboot, so I let it. But when it comes back the IP has changed and I can’t see a new extension in Roon, just the old IP. I have just stuck with the cable for now. Anyone else have this and how did you solve it?

Also, it does run very hot, the display is reporting in ropieee 52.5C/126.5F which is toasty. I have stuck some spare heat sinks on two of the chips and it may of helped a bit. Should I try and find a quiet heatsink/fan, and has anyone used one before??

Finally, I would like to lower the brightness of the screen a little, is there anyway to do this?

Touch the lower right corner, just above the 5:40 in your picture, to bring up the brightness menu.

Ha! Thanks @mikeb - I thought I tried that last night, but obviously not. Great!

Does anyone know of a thread on the forum that is, essentially, Ropieee for Dummies? This seems fascinating, cheap, and relatively easy, but would love to better understand how to get it ready fir my needs, how to install, what I can push through these little buggers (i.e., how to get all non-Roon streaming devices I need to be serviced thru these).

Thanks!

3 Likes

Thanks!! Just what I needed.

2 Likes

OMG the meters! :slight_smile: I’d very much like to own an amp like this. Enjoy!

Hey, I’m really interested in your setup as it looks just like what I’m after. How are you getting on with your RME DAC? And what are you using as the transport - the ‘regular’ RPi USB output or are you using some sort of HAT?

I’ve just got myself a new set of headphones so looking for a nice desktop setup like yours.

Hi @richratt,

The DAC itself is great, feels well made. I was about to sell my Allo USBridge Signature, thats the box to the right of the DAC. It is being fed by a Allo Shanti LPSU, but I don’t think it sounds much different to a RPI4 with ropieee - however I used the RPI with the screen and brought the Allo back into the set-up. So, I am using the USB input on the DAC for music, I use optical for my PC. I don’t use headphones, but some ADAM F5 speakers. I upscale using Roon for this endpoint. I enjoy it, but I am always adjusting and changing.

Great, thanks for the info. My plan is to get the RME DAC and use the RPi’s USB output, maybe trying out the Allo DigiOne as a way of improving the signal path a little without adding too much expense (no extra PSU required). I might try switching that with my microRendu from my main system to see which works best. I’m really enjoying getting back into HiFi again.
Thanks again.

I would be interested if you hear any difference at all between streamers. I certainly can’t. I sold my digione as it wasnt getting the use.

1 Like

I am noticing a whine on my screen, which is a bit annoying as its pretty close to me on my desk, so hard to get away from. Anyone else had this? Have you managed to solve it?

Putting my ear close to the screen you can hear the whine starts as Ropieee loads. I was then playing around with the screen brightness wondering if it made a difference, which is does. Strangely, the whine will disappear the brighter you have the screen, lower brightness = more whine. I tested moving back and forth with the slider. Annoyingly, its stopped now, but the screen is basically near full brightness, it feels like I am getting a tan!

With a little more testing, moving the sliders back and forth you can find quieter areas. very weird.