RoPieeeXL-NG: another beta round

Hmmm… Thanks.

Made a mistake. Will push out an update in half an hour.

1 Like

:+1: I’ll send you a feedback

The NAA tab is back! :ok_hand: (on 0090)

1 Like

Why do some copies get “stuck” on an old version? Just flashed a copy from a beta XL image that I had lying around, and it got as far as RoPieeeXL 2022.02.1 (0059) but hasn’t gotten updated further after a few hours and multiple reboots. I did change it to stable at one point and back to beta, not sure if I screwed it up with fiddling.

Happy to reflash

Feedback at 89ce2b55078950df

Others all fine:

Thanks,
John

Can you reboot it once more, leave it running for a few hours and send me another round of feedback?

Hi,

I’ve pushed out another beta with stuff all over the place. Mainly ‘hygiene’ stuff. Fixes scheduled reboot functionality.

Thanks

1 Like

With HQPlayer support returned, I’ve jumped into the beta for NG. So far so good. I have two RP4s but only one is on NG right now. That one is seeing my DAC and playing through just fine. Ironically with the 913 build of Roon, there seems to be a problem in Roon recognizing Roon bridges so NG’s bridge isn’t showing up but the NAA with HQPlayer works just fine. I’m guessing there will be a fix for this by Roon shortly.

I should say that my three RopieeeNGXLs have been stable with lots of Roon playing and occasional Spotify usage. No hiccoughs.

I will say, having just gone through reflashing a bunch, it seems to me that once XL is working great, you could just kill non-XL. For a user who doesn’t want any of the other functionality, just don’t go to the advanced tab, and everything is the same as in the non-XL. So for the Keep It Simple users, just don’t go to the advanced tab. That’s all there is to it. If you really want to gate it, put a switch at the top of the advanced tab that locks all the advanced functionality unless you turn it on and when you do the first time it asks you “are you sure you want to use advanced functions?” But maybe it’s really no extra effort to support both versions.

Ran it up on a 4GB Pi 4 now that Librespot and UPnP is there for a quick look. Installation was nice and smooth using a portable USB DAC/Headphone amp.

One small issue that I noticed: I have Librespot set with Volume Control set to “Software” and initial volume post installation was 100. The output level was quite low, so I switched to going via Airplay (Shairport). Its Volume Control also set to “Software”, and seemed to be set to 50% on my iPhone. Output level was much higher than via Librespot (Spotify Connect) at 100%. So I switched back to Spotify Connect (from Airplay) and now the level on Librespot was much higher.

Feature Request: One thing I would like to see is an interface option to set a “speaker name” or “display name” for Shairport, Librespot, etc. This would be independent of the RoPieee host name.

Ideally this would be set per RoPieeeXL service, since it is conceivable that you could output different services to different audio outputs. In my case, I like to have a display name like “Stereo [USB]”, “Stereo [OPT1]” or “Living Room [AUX1]” - in other words the location and what output to select on the amplifier. I’d previously done that on RoPieeeXL by hacking around with some of the config files.

1 Like

Echoing this request to set the “Speaker name” please, independent of hostname and without the “-RopieeeXL” suffix.
Just needs to be a config item under each service please (ie. under Librespot, Squeezelite etc. in the RopieeeXL menu).
I’ve been used to changing this for Spotify via SSH, but if SSH will go away then this will be a problem and a real shame.

I appreciate all your inputs, but please read the top post.
This is not about feature requests, this is about the beta.

And to be frank about it: it demotivates the h. out of me.

Apologies Harry. The beta testing is going well - no issues at all on XL.

1 Like

This is one of the biggest disadvantages of software volume control in combination with different services. For now the only thing I can do is making sure that the UI informs the user that software volume control is a sub par ‘solution’.

One thing that ‘could work’ is that the unit knows which service you are using and in the case of a switch (from Squeezelite to Airplay for example) it resets volume. But meddling with volume is scary as hell :wink:

Would an option be to have an initial volume level set for each service, so a switch would in effect reset the volume to zero then to the initial level set? I’d noticed the volume change between services with the original XL. I thought it was just my imagination at first

Sorry about the feature request, I read the intro a few times and missed that! I’ll put it in a separate, appropriate thread.

Conceptually yeah. But the problem is that RoPieee does not know that there’s an actual switch: one moment you’re streaming service A, next moment it can be B.

Hi,

I’ve pushed out another update, with the following noticeable stuff:

• updated to latest RoPieee 2022.03 release
  • added notification about software volume control (in the old version this was just a badge, now it’s a button that shows a dialog with some information)
  • updated the kernel

I think this is pretty much it. AFAIK everything works as expected and comparable to current XL, with the absence of BT of course.

Thanks

2 Likes

Update successful. Everything ok so far.

1 Like

Just updated my two rpi4 and all is fine :+1:

1 Like

All good on my rp3 as well

All good on my Pi4 !! Thanks Harry

1 Like