RopieeeXL wifi dongle

Hi,
What do i base this upon?
–> connected via eth
–> put in TPlink Archer T4U
–> ssh to ropieeeXL
–> lsusb
–> bus and device iD correctly list a hardware device inserted in the USB port with ‘TPLINK’ as manufacturer
–> turn wifi on
–> scanning for networks
–> more info
–> active interface --> external
–> commit changes and reboot
–> active interface --> internal.

@spockfish I had a similar experience as the post above too

1 Like

I want to add that the Comfast CF-912AC that I ordered with my Allo USBridge Signature (based on the 8812au, I think) only seems to work in Ropiee. I attempted to use it with DietPi, Volumio, Moode, and straight Ubuntu. With driver updates best I could do was kernel panics with hard lock-up. Ropiee has “just worked” for me. I’ve gone back and forth between wired and wireless just to see and have had zero performance difference that I can tell.

Thanks for the info!!
Have been at this linux game for 20 years. This wifi business takes me back to that crappy intel b/g/n endless disconnect time :joy:. Intel 5100agn cards etc…

Ok. Seems a bug, will look into this asap.

Thanks

Thanks Harry,
Because RopieeeXL is so snappy and great sounding. It trumps Volumio, Moode etc in user friendliness also.
Regards, Ramon

2 Likes

I might be having a similar issue with the EB Link wifi dongle, and second different dongle in another Ropiee machine. I have a Nest wifi mesh and can not connect my Ropiees to the secondary wifi transmitters. The nesh wifi shows in the scan, but no connection is established. I have another pi running DietPi and connects to the mesh wifi using the same dongle.

1 Like

just for full info I tried with a Netgear WNDA3100 and a non branded 150N out of a Cambridge audio streamer that passed on with a power supply issue but the adapter worked fine on some other devices This one showed up as an Ralink manufacturer name…

another 2 devices I can test with are uplink WN832N and another one I got with my All Sparky I think which reports as a RealTeck Semiconductor Corp device.

1 Like

But it boils down to the everlasting crap linux wifi driver support going back to wifi b/g/n intel crappiness of yesterdecade.

Just give me an rpi 4 dac hat system with working and reliable wifi. Hifi portability at its finest…

Just kiddin’… Or am I?

Hi @Ramon_Philippo,

I’ve ordered the same unit (Archer T4U) which arrives today. I’ll keep you posted.

Thanks

Hi Harry,
Wauw, got to love your devotion. If only al developers would be so involved (are you listening Adobe!!!).
Thanks and kind regards,
Ramon

Hi @Ramon_Philippo,

Pushed an update to the beta channel with support for this unit.
It will require an additional reboot, because the kernel needed to be updated to.

If you’re up to it you can try it out :wink:

Regards

Will do asap today!! Thanks Harry.

Hi @spockfish

It is connecting and remaining stable on the 5G band @ 866Mbps.

Will do some rigorous testing today.
Thank you so much Harry.

PS working on the USB 2.0 connection.
Now trying on the USB 3.0

@spockfish
USB 3.0 also working.
First working on USB 2.0 bus.
The trick is, to disable Wifi, reboot, put T4U in USB 3.0 (while using eth0 to configure ropieeeXL), enable wifi again, scan networks --> reboot.
Et voilá

@spockfish
Testing as we speak. USB extension cable for USB 3.0 fit of the T4U.

@spockfish
Hi Harry,
full day running; no hickups.
Sounds wonderful.
Thanks a million.
Regards, Ramon

@spockfish was there a bug in the save and reboot for new external devices? I can try again with another device that were recognized then didn’t seem to work

No… in cae of Ramon’s dongle it was a matter of adding the correct driver to RoPieee.

I need to investigate, but my suspicion is that it is the other way around: during configuration RoPieee states that it uses ‘external’, but it already has fallen back to internal. The configuration is static (tight to the specific driver), so it can not ‘fall back’ dynamically during boot or something like that.

Thanks