RopieeeXL wifi dongle

@spockfish
Ramon’s Dongle :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

@spockfish
Still going strong.
That TP-Link T4U is a real gem. Keeps a steady 5G connection @300Mbps on the otherside of two stone walls with aluminium insulation from the Fritz 3000 Repeater that’s closest in my mesh.

Maybe one question though: when starting Bubbleupnp or Hifi-Cast on android the volume of the DLNA RopieeXL is started at an earshattering 97. Is there a way to program this to a child and wife-safe level?
Regards, Ramon

Looking into dongles for my four RopieeeXL RPi 3b+ installations, too. @spockfish are the RTL8812BU chipsets supported as well? Wasn’t able to find proper info around here…

Yes. BUT. No guarantees :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

More serious: the Realtek Linux stuff is a mess (and a bad joke). So I can’t guarantee it will work.

2 Likes

Hah! Thanks! :smiley: I’ll report back with my results!

@spockfish Wow. What a massive difference installing these RTL8812BU adaptors [Amazon.de, sorry] has made for my four RoPieeeXL installations. No more slightly asynchronous playback with the Devialet Phantoms and Reactors using AirPlay and Roon. I can recommend the update to anyone who currently relies on the built-in WiFi of the RPi 3b+. All adapters are running on 802.11ac with reported 866 Mbps and signal strength between -51dBm and -64dBm. This is up from a reported 150 Mbps and signal strength between -70dBm and around -65dBm. Why didn’t I do this earlier? :sweat_smile:

Quick and easy process for upgrading.
This assumes that the RPi are already running on internal WiFi:

1. Connect the new USB WiFi adaptor to the running RPi (any USB port will do)
  2. Go to the web interface, network and hit “Commit Changes”
  3. Go to your router interface and check for the IP of the reconfigured RPi. Because the RPi is using new hardware at that point, the IP will change as the devices MAC address will be different.
  4. Enter the IP into your browser address bar to go to the RoPieee control interface, now already using the external adaptor for WiFi.
  5. Go to the Network tab, hit “More Info” in the Wireless section, confirm that the external interface (the adaptor) is being used, hit “Reboot” in the alert box at the top.

At this point the RPi should be up and running with the newly installed adapter. Hope this helps someone.

2 Likes

Have ordered one to test. Thanks for the heads up

1 Like

I have a slightly different problem that reders the adapter unusable (T4U)

WHen I config the adapter it connects to my wifi network and workd for about a minute or so. Then it just powers down. I am using a brand new HifiBerry supplies RPI4 with Dac+

If I use the adapter on my mac it works fine. I am thinking it is requiring too much power from the RPI. I may try using it via a hub

Works like a charm. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

Similar issue here…external is shown during wifi configuration but after reboot it swichted back to internal

2f892ad24263c71f

Do you have more than 1 plugged in or something?
What’s the type of the dongle?

(and please, general: don’t start a reply with ‘similar issue’, because then I need to figure out what ‘similar issue’ is)

Sorry for that. So the issue is that while enabling WIFI is see in the details that Ropieee is using the external wifi but after reboot it switch back to inernal.

The wifi dongle is the only device plugged into the ubs ports.
I am using a Asus USB Dongle: USB-N10-NANO-B1

Again sorry for the post

Hmm… with that chipset it should work. It is also detected, but it keeps the on-board wifi running as well.

Ok, I’ll try to add some debug stuff tonight and push an update to the beta channel so I can get a better picture of what’s going on.

Thanks

Thanks a lot.

Do you need an addtional feedback ID?

fed002eda082ade1

updated the system to the latest beta version but still same situation. I can not get the wifi dongle to work. It blinks for several minutes during boot. After some time the LED goes off and the internal wifi is used.

Yeah need to look into this further this weekend.

I do see 5 files at “/” 99-ropieee-disable-wifi. followed by some numbers
the file contains blacklist information

Hi @MiniBlister,

Can you switch to the beta channel? I’ve pushed some updates out and am curious if this fixes your issue.
Switching to the beta channel can be done from the ‘advanced’ tab.

Let me know how it goes.

thanks!

Hi @spockfish

thank for your support.
I moved to the beta channel and rebooted the system. 2.532 is loaded. After a final reboot i attached the dongle to the usb. Rebooted again and enabled WIFI. I justed my network an entered the password safed and finally rebooted. Now the internal wifi is enabled. The dongle does not even shows a blinking LED.

I testet the dongle with my PC…works fine