MacMini

Networking Gear & Setup Details

FritzBox Ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

New Rotel RC 1590MKII via USB to Mac mini

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Signal path is “Enhanced” if I play MQA. Why not “Lossless”

Simply because MQA is NOT lossless and will never be.

This is correct according to Roon designation.

Thank you very much! I fixed it. SQ is excellent.

Assuming the signal path is accurate, you’re actually using the wrong configuration. You’re defeating the MQA rendering by the Rotel.

2 Likes

Hello Peter, I know, but it is still sounding much better :smiley:

Thank you anyway, nice day, Lambert

Addition:
So the “MQA full decoder” ( step 5 on the signal path ) is “enhanced” and not “lossless”, is this correct?
Thank you

The endpoint is reporting back to Roon that it is performing MQA decoding, which Roon considers as signal enhancing by Roon.

It’s just semantics I’d not read too much into it, but for me that description feels about right.
What’s important is that Roon’s signal path is transparent and show the step in the signals path from Roon to DAC (cavate provided the DAC reports the correct information).

MQA Full Decoder and MQA Rendering are Enhanced.

1 Like

You are now using the wrong settings. But hey, if it sounds better to you, that’s all that matters.

Settings should be:

Roon core decoder off (unless you use Roon DSP)

Rotel set to decoder and renderer.

Signal will be enhanced and that’s how it should be :slight_smile:

1 Like

Raz you can’t stand between a man and better SQ even if he is holding it wrong :joy:

1 Like

Absolutely not :slight_smile:

1 Like

That old Steve Jobs quote always comes in useful :grin::+1:t2:

1 Like

For endpoints that support MQA decoding, provided the later is set correctly there should be no need to switch off the decoder, as Roon will not activate it unless DSP is used. Switching off the MQA Core Decoder in Roon creates a potential trip hazard should any DSP features be switched on in the future.

I personally would not advise users to switch off Roon’s Core MQA decoder, but do concede it can give “piece of mind” to some users.