Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus AC RT5300

Connected Audio Devices

Sonos Connect Amp,

Number of Tracks in Library

4000 tracks?

Description of Issue

Streams mostly from Tidal

after a while Roon becomes sluggish, very slow to browse and play. long pauses between tracks.
A reboot of the server makes no differens, but a reboot of my router fixes the issue.

Suggestions?
Read something about allowing multicast somewere, makes no sense when it works fine after a reboot of the router?

Sounds like you need to buy a new router.
If you can upgrade the firmware, that is worth a try first.

Edit: there is also the possibility that there is an issue with your core. Have you any resource monitoring in place to see if the core is still working well when the slowdown occurs? Rebooting the router could have an impact on the server network stack? I recall that there was an issue a while back with linux and network software causing slow downs and resource issues.

Can you set your router to reboot at pre-defined times (such as during the night)?

I guess it’s possible that this could also indicate a possible problem with your connection to your ISP, that gets fixed when you reconnect after a reboot. Have you tried running a speediest when things get sluggish?

Sounds like a software fault in the router. Firmware upgrade or buy a new router. If my memory serves me… that router is 7 years old? May be time for a nice new mesh system.

That is possible, but then my smart house would be pretty dumt for a period every night. I would preferanser to find the root cause and fix the problem permanent.

Is is a rather complient router in a mesh setup that regularitet get new updates.

Anthony, that is a good aproach, thank you. I will monitor the server more closely next time.

As previously mentioned, when the problem occurs you should perform a speed test to assess performance of your broadband connection as there may may issues with your ISP/broadband connection.
There no point in replacing anything until you have proved that the broadband is working well. After that, if necessary, you may need to start investigating the local network.

Speedtest

Thank you, I beleve I have a pretry good idea about the quality of both my wan and lan. There is some intense gaming going on in the room of my youngest, we do a lot of TV streaming and regularly work from home in long Teams meetings. The problem only surfases after about 7-10 days after a reboot and also on times not concurent with other bandwith demanding actvities.

A fair point but having a “pretty good idea” isn’t particularly scientific, conducting some simple tests to eliminate potential problems is standard practice when trying to resolve problems.

Good luck in your search.

The issue may well have nothing to do with the amount of traffic on your LAN, hence my suggestion to check your connection to the outside world when you experience issues. As @PixelPopper just mentioned, it’s a good idea to run tests to narrow down the issue. I’d guess that the router is probably the culprit, as various people have mentioned, but testing other potential causes is still a good idea.

Thsnk you all for taking interest. PP, How would you go about testing if it was you.

Personally, the next time the system runs slowly I would run the speed test (see link in previous posts) a couple of times, prior to that you should also test so you that know the speeds when the system is working without problems.Each test takes about 30 seconds and will prove your broadband connection good/bad.

In the meantime check (google is your friend) if there are any known issues with your router (people having similar problems).
Also, gaming machines are very bandwidth hungry, as is streaming tv & movies. If the devices are not being used make sure that gaming and streaming applications are terminated or better still power the devices down. Gaming machines/apps frequently stay live and active even when not being used, so powering down guarantees no bandwidth is being consumed and is good for the environment.

Following these guidelines will eliminate possible problems before intervening and changing network device settings. For the record rebooting your router (& server) from time to time can clear problems that don’t seem to follow any logic when trying to identify them.

Others may also be able to offer some additional thoughts…

:+1:t4:

WIFI routers always been problematic for me regardless of the brand. Since I have dedicated router, switch and access point, no more network issues.

In that situation - which I also have - even with the latest, greatest router, I would plan on rebooting all the LAN devices AT LEAST once per week and count myself lucky that it solves the problem. It is good practice. I do mine at least once per month.

Thank you for sharing that, Tom. Some comfort in knowing one is not alene with the problem.
I suppose reboot once pr month is smart. Once a week is somewhat extrene in my view, but maybe I’ll bite that apple. Will try some more reseach first.

It is pretty easy to run some basic tests when the issue presents like traceroutes perhaps to roonlabs.com or tidal.com

what DNS settings are you using too?

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.