RPi zone died

Hi everyone,

My only RPi zone died.

Server: NUC highest supported spec. Running 2.71 (1683)

Network: mesh with Hardwired LAN but a few mesh units around the place, including by the RPi zone in question.

Seems to have happened while I was out.

I see this message in Roon:

I see the RPi unit on the network, can navigate to it and change ropieee settings.

But can’t see it in Roon to fix the audio.

suggestions?

Fix time and date on the DietPi as this is what seems to be off currently. A reboot of the DietPi may do this for you, if not you may have to correct it manually.

1 Like

Changing the time made no difference. I have managed (reinstalling everything including eeprom boot recovery) to get the zone back as far as Roon is concerned: it is available in Audio Settings and can be activated and played to, but no sound comes out and (most weirdly) it won’t accept a volume level - the slider moves back to 0 if I try to raise the volume.

I wonder if my HAT has given up the ghost?

I have no idea. Maybe post to Audio Gear Talk > DietPi or Audio Gear Talk > Raspberry Pi to help attract the right people?

Note: You can move this thread to another category by using the pencil symbol that shows up when you move your pointer over the thread title.

Well I moved it but “the right people” haven’t noticed…

Help!

it’s as quiet here as in my kitchen where my Zone is dead!

You are reporting in the RoPieee category. Might be wise to move it to the DietPi area.

Moved it now for the 3rd time.

So the audio HAT it shows up in aplay -l? Does it have controls in alsamixer?

Maybe a goodood start would be confirmation of what hardware and software the zone is running. You posted a screenshot of extenstions (which @BlackJack responded to, i.e. server certfificate issue) and also mentioned Ropieee.

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 2Gb/16Gb+

HifiBerry DAC2 HD

RoPieee 2026.08.3 (4037) [STABLE]

LAN hardwired.

Roon 2.71 1683

What else is needed?

How do I find the answer to this?: “Does it have controls in alsamixer?”

Okay, so nothing to do with DietPi.

I’ll move this back to Audio Gear Talk > RoPieee. If you can play music through the zone, go to the Ropieee web interface, grab feeback and post here with a timestamp, and @spockfish may be able to see what is happening.

Since you said that it does not accept a volume level, I was wondering whether a volume control is available on plain ALSA level. You should see one when running the alsamixer command on the console of the RPi. If there is none, might be some issue with the device tree overlay or driver for the HAT.

I don’t seem to have access to the Terminal. What can I do to connect to it?

No SSH access and no way to attach screen and keyboard?

No, the OP is using Ropieee.

@Ludwig, please share your Roon Audio settings for the zone, e.g. Device volume.

1 Like

Ok, this is RoPieee. My bad, I got confused by the thread.

Can you send me feedback? There’s a button on the ‘advanced’ tab. Hit it and follow instructions.

Thanks

2fd5e8a822f1a326

Standing by …

So, what do you mean with ‘My only RPi zone died.’?

This is also where I got confused: you showed me a screenshot from some extensions that are running on a DietPi instance, but have nothing to do with RoPieee.

So you can reach the webinterface (otherwise you can’t send feedback), the logs show basically stuff being ok, so what is the exact issue?

RPi was meant to mean Raspberry Pi, the device.

It (the zone) firstly completely disappeared. Then needed clean firmware EPROM upload etc before I could get Roon to see it.

Roon now sees it and seems to be playing (time is rolling) but doesn’t accept volume from Roon so is silent.