Running RoonCore on Linux desktop

Heya folks,

I do not have a home server at the moment, and along with the rest of the functionality, all music files are on my desktop.
I want to run roon core from here. Other than use the windows version and run with wine, how do I do this? Only asking since the windows version solution is laggy/glitchy/borched for me.
Thanks!

Install Roon Server for Linux on the desktop (this will also serve as Roon Bridge on that machine too, so you can listen direct.) You can control Roon from a mobile phone or tablet, or install Roon on Wine.

4 Likes

Okay, as I thought. Thank you :slight_smile:
Though, what do you mean that I can listen direct?
Unfortunately the app for android at least has some issues for me. I don’t suppose we have a way of using their web UI that they use for their ROCK?

My Core is on a NUC running ROCK. On my Linux desktop, I use Roon on Wine for Control, but this doesn’t see devices attached to the laptop. Therefore, I install Roon Bridge for Linux to have direct access to audio devices and my DAC.

The Web interface with ROCK can’t be used for controlling Roon, i.e., play actions, library management etc., and is integral to the ROCK OS.

Installing Roon Server is straightforward. Something similar to:

sudo apt install ffmpeg cifs-utils -y
curl -O https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
chmod +x roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh
sudo ./roonserver-installer-linuxx64.sh

The Roon on Wine script is easy to use, too.

sudo apt install wine winetricks wget -y
curl -L -o roon-on-wine-master.zip https://github.com/RoPieee/roon-on-wine/archive/refs/heads/master.zip
unzip roon-on-wine-master.zip
cd roon-on-wine-master/
./install.sh

When the installer has finished, uncheck run Roon, and exit. If your monitor has no scaling, edit ~/start_my_roon_instance.sh and replace the -scalefactor=2 with -scalefactor=1

3 Likes

Thanks a bunch for your help. I’ll look into using wine again soon, but for now the server on my desktop is working alright to feel how roon goes (trial). I’m building a respectable server for personal use in a month or so, so will see again then if I go down that path with roon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to run Roon on Wine for days (weeks) as people keep saying it’s possible. However, I always run into the same

@S_Heeren, welcome to the Roon community.

It would be really helpful if you could describe your Linux system, and the steps you’ve tried.

Whilst I’ve not seen that message, I’d hazard a guess that you aren’t using a 64 bit Wine prefix.

Hold on, the rubber duck effect is kicking in. I used WINEPREFIX=~/my_roon_instance/ winecfg to set the compatibility mode to Windows 10, and now the installer doesn’t reject it immediately.

However, I cannot run the resulting installation:

env WINEPREFIX=/home/sehe/my_roon_instance wine '/home/sehe/my_roon_instance/drive_c/users/sehe/Local Settings/Application Data/Roon/Application/Roon.exe' -scalefactor=2
029c:err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
025c:err:combase:RoGetActivationFactory Failed to find library for L"Windows.Foundation.Diagnostics.AsyncCausalityTracer"
04d8:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
04d8:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
02f4:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Using the OpenGL renderer.
DirectManipulation CoCreateInstance hr: 0
DirectManipulation GetUpdateManager hr: 0
DirectManipulation CreateViewport hr: 0
DirectManipulation ActivateConfiguration hr: 0
DirectManipulation SetViewportOptions hr: 0
DirectManipulation AddEventHandler hr: -2147467263
025c:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
025c:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
034c:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733

And that exits the process in 2 to 5 seconds

I’m on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS (jammy), up to date. I wager to guess that wine is 64 bits by default :slight_smile:

My alternatives select wine-stable:

update-alternatives --list wine
/usr/bin/wine-stable

Here’s the output of bash -x ./install.sh in case you want to check (I did a rm -rf ~/my_roon_instance/ first just in case): Ubuntu Pastebin

That’s the run that results in the “This device is not compatible with Roon 2.0” installer screen.

Then, after

env WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/home/sehe/my_roon_instance WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder.exe=d winecfg

to switch the Windows Version from the defaulted “Windows 7” to “Windows 10”, and relaunching the installer:

env WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/home/sehe/my_roon_instance WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder.exe=d wine RoonInstaller64.exe

Shiny results! https://imgur.com/a/lxULT7j

Then attempting to run with (the path in start_my_roon_instance.sh does not exactly match the installed location for me):

env WINEARCH=win64 WINEPREFIX=/home/sehe/my_roon_instance WINEDLLOVERRIDES=winemenubuilder.exe=d wine '/home/sehe/my_roon_instance/drive_c/users/sehe/Local Settings/Application Data/Roon/Application/Roon.exe'

Fails with the errors shown before:

0034:err:module:process_init L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe" not found
002c:err:wineboot:process_run_key Error running cmd L"C:\\windows\\system32\\winemenubuilder.exe -a -r" (126).
00c8:err:ole:CoGetContextToken apartment not initialised
00b8:err:combase:RoGetActivationFactory Failed to find library for L"Windows.Foundation.Diagnostics.AsyncCausalityTracer"
012c:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
013c:err:winediag:SECUR32_initNTLMSP ntlm_auth was not found or is outdated. Make sure that ntlm_auth >= 3.0.25 is in your path. Usually, you can find it in the winbind package of your distribution.
0154:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
0154:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
0118:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Using the OpenGL renderer.
00b8:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
00b8:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
 sehe  ~  custom  roon-on-wine-master  5  0198:err:ntdll:RtlLeaveCriticalSection section 00000000000217C0 is not acquired

Thanks for any hints whatsoever!

This was not part of older versions of the install script. As it seems to give an error for you, don’t use it.

All my older wine bottles (using wine stable under ubuntu) still run with current Roon.

Tried without (editing install.sh and also the start commands manually), I don’t see a significant difference:

038c:err:combase:RoGetActivationFactory Failed to find library for L"Windows.Foundation.Diagnostics.AsyncCausalityTracer"
055c:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
055c:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733
0420:err:winediag:wined3d_dll_init Using the OpenGL renderer.
038c:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
038c:err:module:import_dll Library api-ms-win-shcore-stream-winrt-l1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\users\\sehe\\Local Settings\\Application Data\\Roon\\Application\\200001182\\roon_mediacontrols.dll") not found
0774:err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> ?('', 12, 18) request failed with status 0x2733

Thanks for thinking along. Hoping more sets of eyes see more

I don’t know. The log snippet is full of, what seems unrelated to me, different errors. It’s unclear to me, and probably others too, which one of those actually breaks Roon for you (again: Roon runs on my system without issue – currently).

Yeah. I’m not sure what those messages mean either. I’m kinda used to lost of stub errors in Wine, but it’s hard to pinpoint a cause here.

What does your system look like? Distro, versions? I might try my luck in other ways, and perhaps even spot the issue so we can help others

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (5.4.0-135-lowlatency) with Wine stable (7.0.1 from WineHQ) on i5-6400T (integrated GPU).

So, that’d be wine 3.0-1ubuntu1

ii  fonts-wine                           3.0-1ubuntu1                        all          Windows API implementation - fonts
ii  libwine:amd64                        3.0-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Windows API implementation - library
ii  wine-stable                          3.0-1ubuntu1                        all          Windows API implementation - standard suite
ii  wine64                               3.0-1ubuntu1                        amd64        Windows API implementation - 64-bit binary loader

I’ll try that later. I still have my 18.04 partition bootable as well.

Just noticed your edit (sneaky). I’m trying with winehq stable now

Wine 3 really? Maybe that what’s in the Ubuntu repository – there are good reasons to not use outdated software from distribution repositories. From own experience I can tell you that ubuntu’s wine doesn’t work for 18.04 LTS – you have to remove it completely, including the outdated winetricks, and follow the instructions from WineHQ to install current versions of the two programs.

Also just noticed your edit, but leave this in because of the hint for the also outdated winetricks.

Ha! I specifically avoided using the version from WineHQ as every article I saw referred to sticking with “stable”, which in my experience equates to the distro version!

Indeed, it looks a lot better now. It did crash at first, but now it is showing some signs of life!

Now I’m crossing my fingers that media keys (can be made to) work, and all my hesitation of using Roon is out the window. Way more success than I anticipated already.

Cheers for the help

1 Like

It’s not. 22.04.1 LTS (jammy) has wine 6.0.3
https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=wine&searchon=names&suite=jammy&section=all
No idea why @S_Heeren’s terminal output showed wine 3

We were talking about Ubuntu 18.04 LTS tough:

1 Like