Same old Roon under the hood?

Nope. I have tags, but I lay to be able group albums by individuals that recommended them and to rattle off recommendations to them. If Roon gets social interaction among listeners that’ll change.

I am just wondering if, when one shuffles a Tag, that is basically a Tag focus query for each track, thus what is causing the core to slowly degrade until restarted.

To explain further, my main method of listening is to group Artists by Tags. Something like “Sunday morning easy listening” versus “Friday night thunder” or whatever. So I’ll have a Tag with 200 Artists in it. Those Artists will represent maybe 500-1000 albums and thus 6000-12000 tracks. I’ll shuffle the Tag. I wonder if translating an Artist Tag into tracks that are shuffled are each Focus “queries” that little by little slow Roon down just like how direct Tag focus (using Boolean combinations) slows down Roon very quickly, and how Roon used to completely choke on multiple searches.

The choking on searches seems to be “fixed” but I wonder if all that happened was just pushing the issue deeper into the Roon engine and this is one symptom?

The main point is, there is nothing special about my network. There’s one switch between my Roon Core and my FLAC files. There are two switches between the Roon Core and some of my endpoints. But it runs quite peppy after reboot, and only slows down over time.

If it is a network problem, it would not so TOTALLY RELIABLY slow down over the course of a day, then completely reliably work well after restarting the core, then repeat the process. If it were the network, restarting Roon wouldn’t help.

C’mon Roon, it’s not me, it’s you!

1 Like

Interesting - I use Shuffle based on Tags fairly often - maybe I’ll try not using it for a few days and see if the slow-down doesn’t happen.

Yeah I am thinking of the same experiment. That would mean queuing up albums, using a playlist, manually queuing tracks, or Roon Radio I guess.

I never use tags to queue tracks; I exclusively listen to albums which I find looking up composer-artists. Even so, Roon slows down after 4-5 days, using ever more memory, until I restart Roonserver to bring things back to normal. What I have noticed, though, is that the point of unusable crawl is approached much faster, when I search a lot, or insert many new (Tidal) albums into my library.

1 Like

Thats how it used to be. Now, once you start using filter, you can kill that cat with no more than 2 filters in 3 minutes. But it will take 20 minutes to recover from it…

This is quite interesting, I have quite a few Tags, but most are small groups, so I just used Cntl-A to Queue up all my Tags, let’s see what happens, the question is how long can I go without wanting to break the chain to play something I read about in What We Are Listening to 2021

I’ve no idea if this would help with the issues described in this thread but you can disable connected standby by reference to this registry location

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Control\Power

Set the value CsEnabled to 0

CsEnabled was removed in Windows 10 version 2004 and newer builds.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-power/csenabled-not-available/cb49f247-090a-40cb-905b-7fe2c18f6ea5

Instead set power profile to Ultimate Performance, CPU min/max to 100% and disable USB suspend.

1 Like

Memory leaks have multiple sufficient causes. The memory leak reports are taken seriously and they are being investigated. I’m not a programmer’s bootlace but I understand memory leaks can be insidious and difficult to identify. Roon are not ignoring this issue.

If you mean address the reports by responding to them then I’d agree that Roon staff don’t necessarily respond to issues on the Forum. Maybe there could be a more centralised communication to users of issues that are under investigation. In the Support category anything marked [Ticket In] means the issue has been replicated and a fix is in the works. I’m not sure what expectations [Under Investigation] would create. Some bugs have gone for many months or even years before they could be reliably replicated.

And this I find quite unacceptable. Which other software takes years to have bugs fixed?

1 Like

MacOS, Windows… most software actually.

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl: Nowhere even close! Not talking the one or other odd bug here. There are base functionalities broken. Some since a very long time.

I’ve got a MacOS bug thats there since 2013 I think, every new version ships with the bug.

What basic functionality?

Read my bug reports And others. not getting into auto-repeat here.

Went through a lot of your posts, but apart from iOS issues (which i’m also experiencing, see my issues) I don’t see a lot of basic functionality you’ve got issues with… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Sooo… glass half empty type personality?

Ah you scratched on some suface of this weeks post! Wow, deep research!

1 Like

Oh my god, you’re right! I feel sorry for the Roon team.

Pfff I’m out of here!

1 Like

I always chuckle when i see this or hear someone say this glass 1/2 empty 1/2 full phase…

I say it’s the wrong size glass. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

2 Likes