Scanning Process when starting Roon

It seems a lot of watched folders @miklats, but I don’t know whether or how it relates to the scanning problem you are experiencing. Let’s drop flags for @mike or @brian to let us know what they think. There may be better hardware storage solutions for a library of that size.

The simple solution would be to build a new PC equipped with an i5 (or preferably i7) processor, add a dedicated SSD for the Roon DB and install a few local hard drives to hold the entire collection locally. Keep the NAS’ for backup.

My setup comprises:

• 5 x 3TB drives all formatted Btrfs, 2 x 3TB drives for SnapRaid parity
  • i5 processor
  • 16GB ram (about 2x what’s actually required)
  • 60GB SSD
  • Arch Linux powering the lot
  • Startup scan sorted in under 20 secs.

@evand

Thats exactly what I am going for. Something like your setup.

I think that could be your problem, perhaps. @danny?

It’s certainly true that Roon loves to have the broadest and fastest connection it can to the music library. Storing the library locally as per @evand’s suggestion and keeping the NAS for backup sounds like it could be a good solution.

Also @Ludwig has most probably a point here.
I observed that the scanning process starts on all folders at the same time. Means, scanning starts at 96 places at the same time. So having less directories might indeed be another helpful way.
This is why I wanted to manually control the scanning process. Allowing scanning for different directories at different times.

96 folders is definitely pushing it–we considered releasing the app with a 10-folder limit to prevent this sort of configuration, since that’s really not how our watched folders were designed to be used (actually, it’s mostly just really difficult for the operating system).

Put it all in a small number of folders, and your experience should be better.

I’d be considering @evand’s recommendation. Use the NAS for backup, and keep the music on a few large local drives in a powerful machine. You’ll have a small number of folders, and a much better experience.

550k tracks is huge–it puts you in the top 0.1% of our users. Especially for an app like Roon that handles ~10x as much metadata as other music players, this is a challenging workload. It can work, but some adjustments might be needed.

Since you came out with a 64bit version my experience with Roon is quite ok.I will go for @evand 's recommendation and built a machine with local storage.
In the meantime I have shut down folders with aprox 150k track and the setup looks to be stable right now.

@miklats, have you truly set up 96 watched folders? :dizzy_face: if you have that’s serious determination. :fearful:

It starts to look like he is building his own Tidal/Qobuz at home… Still, how to tune Roon to handle it… Any suggestions?

Unless my reading skills have deserted me, Insee some excellent suggestions posted above…

I did not setup my music specially for Roon.
But to have lots of folders was quite necessary with other music players.
I could build smaller libraries, so they could be handled in an easy way.

And yes, I did setup 96 watched folders.

And no, I am not building Quobuz or Tidal at home.
Thats my private hobby.

1 Like

Wow, I wouldn’t have had the patience.

And to have organized the Database into smaller “units” is also usefull in Roon.
I quite often use Focus/Inspector/Storage Location to listen to the Jazz/Sax/HD folder or any of the many other “folders”

1 Like

I gave my setup a closer thought over last weekend.
The most probable solution I came up with is buying a second license, set up a second Roon server PC and leave my folder structure as is.
This would allow me to grow my collection further and avoid the work to reorganize my database.

I’m not sure how a second licence would help. If you mean by replacing your existing PC with faster hardware then you can just transfer to a Core on the new PC.

You could consider the following:

Do a Focus/Inspector/Storage Location search for Folder 1.
Select All (Ctrl-a, top left select pull down on tablets)
Tag Manager (ticket icon), create a tag for this Folder
Rinse and repeat to Folder 96
Remove the existing 96 watched folders and replace them with a single parent watched folder.

When you want to look at albums in a particular folder, Focus on the relevant tag.

Or at least replace the 96 watched folders with one watched parent folder per NAS that should not be too difficult and it would seem from Brian’s comments above that may help.