Schiit Bifrost vs Topping D90

Cheers Stuart, I tend to switch between sources and that was my main reason for using the remote. Not using D90 as pre amp, so don’t need to worry about the volume, that is controlled by my amp.

1 Like

I read a review that lists one of the cons of the Topping D90 as " RCA out uses only half the DAC"

Could someone please explain that in simple terms, and how much of a “con” is this?

I am using RCA out from the D90 DAC to my amp. Is the reviewer implying that using XLR out would use the whole DAC, and does this improve sound quality?
My amp does not have XLR inputs, could I use a cable that was XLR out at the DAC end, and RCA inputs at the amp end?

Why would you turn your DAC off?

They don’t get even warm and in ‘standby’ they probably use less power than a router.

Most manufactures advise not turning off a DAC, presumably because of the clocks having to ‘spin’ up.

Honestly, there is no need to turn it off. It was more of a problem to solve - a puzzle – than it was something I actually ended up needing to use.

You know, the Gustard X16 is only $499. It has MQA and it tests even better than the D90.

I too considered the Bifrost 2 and the D90 before the purchase.

1 Like

For anyone that is interested I got an excellent explanation to my query about RCA out only using half of the DAC from a guy over on Pinkfishmedia

"What the review says is broadly true. The RCA outputs use the full DAC converter but carry only half its output voltage. Most of the time this doesn’t matter in practice.

The DAC chip in the D90 produces its analogue output on two connections - positive-going signal and negative-going signal. Its output is the difference between the two. That matches how the signal is carried on an XLR interconnect with two signal connections and a shield/ground. The RCA interconnect carries its signal on just one signal connection and a shield/ground; in the D90 it carries half the signal voltage the DAC can produce.

There is a theoretical advantage in the XLR interconnect’s ability to better resist interference and have a larger signal to noise ratio. But in a home audio system this is is rarely an issue and the RCA output will be indistinguishable"

Another guy on that forum also stated that this view about RCA only using half the DAC was “misleading bollox” lol.

Thanks for pointing to this product. Reading the reviews and this may be my next dac attack; I like it.

1 Like

I was considering snatching up a D90 before they became unavailable, but so far, no regrets with the Gustard X16. It even stacks nicely with my Topping gear.