Schiit New yggy USB Gen 5 board not working with 24 bit [Resolved - Hardware Issue]

Looks like The Schiit “Made in USA” is not the real solution.
They maybe should consider China as their place for building their products ( as 99% of the companies do)

I think Schiit makes quality stuff and offers good value. There is a communication link in place between Roon and Schiit.

Whatever is amiss, I’m confident Roon partner Schiit will get it straightened out.

I don’t see an exclusive Chinese manufacturing approach as being the way to go. PS Audio moved operations back to the US, since they were having a way too many failures and were putting their brand in a bad light (google failures for the PS Audio Power Plant Premier). Even Emotiva, who manufactures many of its products in China, makes some of its higher end products here in the USA. A small amount of my gear is made in China - certain brands like Oppo Digital make great stuff.

It’s not a Schiit issue, it’s a Sonore issue. Or rather it’s an issue with the USB driver used in the Sonic Orbiter software. It “sees” the Schiit USB receiver as a mixed-use device not as an audio device. It is one reason I abandoned my Sonore players with my Yggdrasil. Any other USB source I have used works fine.

I have this issue as well. Other than that, the Gen 5 USB and Roon sound amazing. Just will not work with Roon in “Exclusive Mode”. I get the message, “Transport: Playback_Error_Endpoint_Device_Init_Failed” It works great otherwise. I see this issue has been fixed for some with Roon updates, (but not for me running 262), and also by returning the USB card so not sure what to do. I sent this in as a ticket to Schiit as well.
Running a PC with Windows 10. Should I be looking at something else? Just looking for advice.
Thanks and Best, Don

David,

Appreciate your response, but Sonare’s response was clear where the problem exists. If you read further up this thread there is some insight as how a software driver works. Schiit’s lack of response? I will send the USB card back once I return and maybe Schiit can come up with a solution.

I suspect there is simply disagreement on the root cause. I had Andrew from Small Green Computer remote in to my system to look at why the Sonic Orbiter software would not work with Yggdrasil. He concluded that the driver in their device was identifying the USB receiver in the Schiit as a printer and therefor not transmitting audio. His work around was to use another device in between to convert to S/PDIF. My solution was to simply use a different music player and I have had no issues since.

A printer that’s reassuring :). Not sure who at Schiit is responsible for the usb side, but they said USB was not their better connectivity choice now after the second try I believe them.

It’s easy to generalize in anger when things don’t work, but I’ve got excellent quality and compatibility with both a Gen 5 Bifrost driven by a RPi running RuneAudio, and Eitr (for a non-Schiit DAC) driven by an Allo USBridge running DietPi (I also own an Yggy, but since it is driven by an Aries via AES, I did not bother to upgrade it to Gen 5). In any case, the problem is not USB or Gen 5, but the particular combination of Sonic Orbiter software and a particular Yggy Gen 5. You problem could be caused by one, the other, or both. That’s the frustration of dealing with an almost infinite combination of software and hardware configurations, and poorly specified protocols like USB audio.

Latest communication from Schiit.

We shipped a replacement board today. It was exchanged because it is possible the original Gen 5 USB card you received had an issue with the programming. Once you have installed the Gen 5 USB, if you are still having an issue please contact tech@schiit.com. We cannot assist any further until we get the first board back and have had the opportunity to test it and you have installed the replacement and tested it with your setup.

Just installed replacement board and everything works fine now. What a pain to figure this out not to mention having to install, remove, install gen3’ remove, and then reinstall the new board. No thanks to Nick at Schiit who proved useless and non responsive. Are you reading this Schiit management?

They are not reading this, I’d bet. There have never been here AFAIK. If you want to reach them, use their email addresses, or maybe their threads on Head-Fi. What I don’t understand, though, is what is the issue. You got a replacement Gen 5 board that works. What else would you want from Schiit? The standard procedure with online sales is that you send back the faulty item and they send you back a replacement. In your case, they sent the replacement before they got the original back. So?

Please read above.
I stated time ago that this is a hardware problem you encountered.
I had the same problem with the Eitr.
I sent it back, got a new one. All works fine.
I understand it neither. What is your trouble with Schiit?

I guess you both are fine with a non-responsive customer support team. It doesn’t matter if it is hardware, software, or any other issue causing the problem. When a customer (actually several customers have written about this problem) sends multiple emails to Schiit and asks them what they think the issue is, you expect a response. There was no response from Schiit. So i dont ASSume anything like “I stated a …time ago that is is a hardware problem.” I expect customer service to give me some options including sending board back for exchange. When i pay for a product with a warranty and a customer service department, that is what i expect; customer service. Glad you all are so much smarter than the rest of us

I also said that they might have some trouble with quality control at Schiit, at least with their USB 5 boards.
Because that problem happened to more people.
In my experience with them their service was fast and responsive. They exchanged the Eitr immediately.
And the Usb board in the Yggdrasil never had that problem.
I think I was just more lucky than you.

You got a response, a replacement board. Schiit’s high value proposition will evaporate if they waste time in idle chit-chat to make customers feel warm and fuzzy before Schiit figures out what the problem is. I remember a similar set of complaints with the first multibit Bifrost upgrades, but Schiit simply did not know what the problem was for a while. When they did, they addressed it and made everyone good. Much preferred to placebo talk that does not solve anything.

1 Like

Let’s move on folks, the problem with the Gen 5 has been resolved, and all that needs to be said about Schiit’s customer support has been.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 23 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.