Schiit Yggdrasil problem when using exclusive mode

Probably unnecessary but you did fully shutdown Tidal and Foobar?

Have you tried increasing the resync delay (settings - audio - device setup)? Helped me a few times.

I’ve deleted all other music players including tidal, foobar but still doesn’t work.
Setting Resync Delay doesn’t help.
Thanks everybody answered.

Hi @YEONTAEK_CHUNG ----- Thank you for the feedback, and more importantly, thank you for your patience. Apologies for the slow response here.

I would like to have our techs take a closer look into this behavior you’re experiencing with the Yggdrasil + “exclusive mode” (setting), in Roon, by sending us logs from the device hosting your core. With this in mind may I very kindly ask you to please perform the following:

• With “exclusive mode: off”, please play some music to the Yggdrasil and note the time when you were able to use the DAC successfully.

• After the above has been completed, turn “exclusive mode: on” and play some music to the Yggdrasil. Note the time when you were unable to use the DAC successfully.

• Send us Roon and RAATSever logs, using the instructions found here.

-Eric

drop box link :

exclusive mode off time AM 02:09~AM 02:11
exclusive mode on time AM 02:12~

The new Gen5 USB board in my Yggdrasil Dac works in exclusive mode without problems.

But I had problems when I received the Schiit Eitr ( Gen5 Usb to Coax switcher). Never got it working with Roon in exclusive mode.
Finally it got replaced by Schiit. That was the solution. Now it does work as intended in exclusive mode.

What I want to say: Also consider the possibility that you received a faulty USBGen5 board in your Yggdrasil that needs to be replaced by Schiit Audio.

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG,

I’ve a similar issue like yours, Windows 10 install their USB driver once I plug in the the DAC. Do the followings:

1. With DAC connected, go to system properties, locate the sound device ‘Schiit Yggdrasil’ driver, remove it, if there’s uninstall perform that.

2. Unplug the DAC from the PC, restart your PC. Install the manufacturer driver, then plug-in the DAC, Windows now detect and use the installed driver.

The proper way is always install the manufacturer driver, then plug in the USB-DAC, that way, it will always default using the installed driver. Hope this helps.

Hi @YEONTAEK_CHUNG ---- Thank you for the follow up! Confirming that the logs have been received and are in queue to be evaluated by a member of our tech staff.

Once my report has been updated and passed back, I will be sure to share the team’s thoughts/findings with you asap. Your patience is very appreciated!

-Eric

MusicEar,
Would that work?

IIRC the current driver for Yggdrasil on Schiit’s web site is still for the Gen 3 module.

not USB Gen 5. Is the driver is upward compatible?

I also made sure to remove the USB driver from other DAC before I plugged in the Yggdrasil.

It’s now running on windows base audio driver.

@Eric
I would be great if this can be figured out soon, I just started Roon trial yesterday, and noticed the same issue.

Hi @YEONTAEK_CHUNG ----- Thank you for your patience while our techs have been reviewing the traces found in the provided logs.

Moving forward, the team has noticed that they are seeing errors which indicate that the DAC is “misreporting” acceptable formats. In light of this, our techs have ask me to have you go into the “Playback” tab under “device setup” (for the Yggdrasil DAC) and enable “Work Around Drivers that misreport device capabilities” to see if this triggers a change in behavior.

-Eric

I’ve already tried work around mode, but it didn’t work.

I also set max sample rate ‘up to 192khz’ and max bits per sample ‘24 bits’

I attached the log with work around mode on.

the time is AM07:18

1 Like

Hi @YEONTAEK_CHUNG ---- Thank you for touching base with me and sharing your observations while testing with the mentioned feature enabled. Confirming that latest set of logs have been received.

I will let you know what the team finds.
-Eric

I just installed the GEN 5 USB in my Yggdrasil, the only way I can get exclusive mode to work is by using the ASIO generic USB device on the PC that the Yggdrasil is connected to. The Gen 5 entry only works in WASAPI. This is not a big deal for me, as I don’t use the USB very often anyway. Mostly I use the COAX or Optical into the Yggdrasil. Just another data point, I also went through all the iterations of settings and uninstall reinstall of the different drivers. Tried installing older drivers etc. in compatibility mode also, but no joy.

You are right, had a bit more time to play with the software today.

Also got in contact with Schiit support today on a Sunday O.o Apparently, there is no driver for the USB Gen 5 version on their end, windows default driver would be the best driver according to support.

Also got ASIO to work in exclusive mode. under the ASIO output for Generic USB device.

But this one would force the output bitdepth down size to 16 bit… so still not a lossless path. Orz

Asio control panel can set bit depth to 24 bit.
I couldn’t find stand alone Asio control panel program but Jriver has the panel. (You may try 30day trial)

After you set the bit depth to 24 bit, Roon can make loseless path with asio.

Yeontaek,
thanks, that was helpful.

I have the full version of Jriver as well and now set the ASIO to 24 bit.

Roon also picked up the setting changes to ASIO and now shown as 24 bit.

Now I get at least one lossless path working…

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG / @Inno ----- Thank you both for the feedback! I wanted to let you know that we are going to be doing some testing in house to see if we can determine what is causing this behavior while using the Yggdrasil with “exclusive mode”.

Once I have some feedback from our techs, I will be sure to update this thread in a timely manor.

-Eric

How long does it take to do the test?

@Eric

Any good news on the research?

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG and @Inno – we appreciate your patience here.

We had a meeting about this yesterday, and we’re hoping to have some more concrete progress soon.

For now I wanted to reassure you guys that we are following up with Schiit and continuing to test internally, and we’ll follow up here as soon as we have some more news. Thanks all!

@YEONTAEK_CHUNG and @Inno ----- Touching base with you both, as we still continue to investigate this behavior you have reported to us with your Schiit devices.

As @mike mentioned in his previous post, we have been conducting internal tests and coordinating with the folks over at Schiit to acquire the necessary equipment for testing in our QA lab. We understand that this has taken a bit longer than we’d like so again, your patience and understanding have both been very appreciated by the team.

Despite the team’s best efforts, we are still struggling to reproduce this issue in house. Our CTO has asked if you could please confirm that your Schiit drivers are up to date (which I believe they are :thumbsup:) as well as your operating system as Schiit’s recommendation is to use microsoft’s driver on all platforms where it works.

-Eric