Schiit Yggy GS and Rggy 2 - Is a Loki is needed for my new kit

I am awaiting delivery of a Schiit Yggy GS and Rggy 2 just an amp with 3 RCAs inputs.

Like @evand I also have a lot of SACDs(and DVD-A’s) and a Yamaha CD/SACD/DVD-A/DVD changer that I have semi retired but think I will use it without multichannel connections obviously just toslink digital optical out to the DAC-my SACDs should play correct … as most of them are multilayered, what about those DVD-A’s probably not correct?

Does anyone think a Loki is needed for my new kit and how would I connect it?

The Schiits will be mated to a new pair of just made for me Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors anyone have opinions on these?

I also use Sennheiser HD598’s and RS-195’s.
I now listen to mostly streaming HD/HiRes/MQA music from TIDAL and Qobuz through Roon (and maybe as above those SACDs/CDs/DVD-A’s and 800 other plain CD’s through that changer).

My system is a late 2012 mac mini i7 16GB RAM and brand new Samsung 4TB SSD HD with OS being El Capitan (will never upgrade!) via Apple Time Capsule tower WiFI (I consider SQ this way to be pristine).

For now am just using headphones via AQDFRed and ME2 DACs
Hope someone answers,
Thanks bobbmd

Out of toslink your SACD’s should only output the CD layer. It should be disabled or downsampled for SACD layer playback. I can’t answer questions about the Schitt gear as I don’t own any.

@Henry_McLeod Hey- thanks for replying and confirming my suspicions–hopefully others will give more input-will drop a line as to everything sounds(and looks) when it gets here this is probably my ‘last rodeo’/system confirmed by the CFO who approved me purchasing it!!
bobbmd

The Loki you will only need if you have native DSD files you want to play. Be advised that Loki DSD is discontinued and you will have to find a used one if you don’t already own one. I’ve been looking for one and haven’t seen one come up for sale in the last couple of month.

As @Henry_McLeod noted if you want to read the SACD layers via your Yamaha player you have to take the analog outputs to your amp. It will not output DSD to a Loki- you have to have DSD files stored on your drive to do that.

If you just want to send 44.1/16 bit audio from your discs to your Yggy you can do that with the digital output. You can actually compare the SACD decoding of your Yamaha to the 16 bit versions via Yggy and see which you prefer.

Are you doing direct from the Mac Mini via USB to the Yggy? If so you should be good to go on the TIDAL/Qobuz front.

Must say I’m tempted by the price on the Yggy GS. I can live without the upgraded analog circuits- I usually buy second hand stuff so I’m typically a step or two behind on the digital front lines. But my current DAC works fine and I’m not sure I want to spend that kind of money. Hope you enjoy yours!

@Chris_Daley: Thanks for the detailed note- as I said I would not unretire the changer for multichannel as I will no longer have a 5.1/7.1 system(the CFO allowed me to ‘upgrade’ if I would KISS and get rid of my cambridge soundworks towers model 6s and s-300 satellites the AVR the bass manager etc and all those wires!!) will just have the Schiit DAC and amp and Legacy HD studio monitors and I understand I will output the changer via digital optical out to the DAC to play CDs and multilayered SACDs on occasion and for comparison for the reasons you outlined-I did rip my DVA-As to m( never understood or had ability to do same with the SACDs) and they are in my iTunes library and on TIDAL Qobuz ROON and A+3.5
Yes- the Yggy will be USB from the Mac Mini
Just wanted to utilize the optical input also in some way either with the changer or try the optical output on my HD TV which is also my computer screen maybe the DAC will decode that -I know it won’t directly from the cablebox(DTS 5.1) or will connect my apple tv to the Yggy( I know that works as it did with my original delta-sigma Gungnir-I plan to use the RCA inputs on the Rggy 2 for the Yggy of course and my ME2 DAC and may do RCA to RCA from the yamaha as you suggested
The Loki I asked about only for the ability to adjust speaker separation if need be didn’t realize it was discontinued- it or some variant is still offered on the Schiit web page and didn’t realize the discontinued version did DSD(thought THEY frowned on THAT format??)
Thank you for the information and your time I am waiting with bated breath and ears for all this new ‘stuff’ to arrive as at my age and my penny pinching CFO this probably my last rodeo/system!
bobbmd-will let you all know how it sounds and with pictures-I ordered the Schiits in black

Ah, I assumed you were looking at the Loki DSD because you were talking about your SACD player. Schitt for whatever reason is re-using the Loki name and you can now get Loki as a tone control.

Most audiophiles will tell you to avoid tone controls/graphic equalizers on the theory that the less stuff in the signal rather the better. There would be cases where you have room issues that can best be addressed by messing with the signal. Now with DSP built into some products we have a lot more ability to do correction in the digital realm.

I’d suggest setting up all your new stuff and get used it before you start messing with tone controls, digital or otherwise.

@Chris_Daley THANK YOU that is exactly what @Grover @Schiit customer service said and thanks again those Schiits are in Parachute Colorado right now bobbmd