Search by record label outside library

Thanks Geoff.

+1 for this functionality. It would be really good to search by ECM, ACT, Erato etc etc.

5 Likes

+1 for this. With so much music being released now, I use labels more than ever to find great new music.

4 Likes

I concur :diamond_shape_with_a_dot_inside:

2 Likes

+1
I would add a globally better advanced search. The search feature is really poor in Roon.

1 Like

Indeed - Qobuz have for a long while offered ‘Label’ searches and hyperlinks - yes please! Also native Qobuz search has just been improved and Roon is still quite strange - for example “Mahler: Symphony No. 5” finds just about any Mahler symphony and can be filtered to get to the one you want, whilst “Mahler Symphony” finds but a few? “Mahler: Synpnonie 5” finds other albums titled “Symphony” not found before when typing “Mahler Symphony” really weird!

1 Like

@support

Have I missed something? Despite all the search improvements in Roon 1.7 this does not seem to be one of them.

Can someone explain why not? It does not seem complicated and far less advanced streaming services (the old Rdio for one) offered this years ago.

I’d like to be able to see all the Blue Note or Verve, or ECM titles Roon makes available. I’m sure others have favorite labels as well.

1 Like

I use focus to display all my albums from a specific label. This works well for me.

+1 also to search by any criteria for non library stuff would be great as it appears to be title or artist only.

1 Like

as far as i have understood…
label infos (actually, all release infos) in roon are 90% fake, because:

1. an identified album is most of the times matched with a DB entry not correspondig to the real album. that means the entries “released”, “label” (and even other production credits) are not the real ones.
  2. this is a problem, clearly, only for those albums with many different releases, under different international labels.

i think that, basically, roon metadata are quite robust on some aspects (composition and composer), but poor on others (perfomers, release dates etc).
and tha’t why you can explore albums/tracks/composer/compositions… and you cannot explore performers! or labels…

For those of us using Qobuz labels are clearly shown and search is supported - in the Qobuz desktop app. It would be nice if Roon utilised the integration it has with Qobuz to bring across that metadata - in fact Qobuz metadata I have found is often more complete than the imported metadata - release years etc excluded of course.

2 Likes

Mark you’ve missed the point of my suggestion. It is easy enough to find all the albums in my collection based on the label. What I am looking for is a way to find other albums on a given label, that are not in my collection.

@support
I am still hoping someone from Roon will respond.

1 Like

We want this too, but I don’t have a timeline to share right now.

Making this work in a reasonable way will involve a few different projects, including cleaning up all the label data we coalesce – so you don’t get 137 variants back when you search for “Atlantic” – and having a first class way to browse these label sets, which could be massive in any number of cases.

As a recovering vinyl addict, trust me when I say I’d really like to do this. But we’re not going to just dump all the data out and force people to make sense of it – when we do it we’re going to do it right.

12 Likes

Thanks very much. That’s an answer that makes sense to me. Because as things stand now, when I do a label search the same label, sometimes with slight variations in the name comes up three different ways (e.g. Venus Records, Venus Records Inc., and Venus Records Inc).

Why this is complicated is over my head. But I am glad to know it is being worked on.

1 Like

Just wondering how this is going, when it comes to searching I’m finding more success recently (not just on labels) actually using the Qobuz desktop app than using Roon? Can’t Roon simply defer to Qobuz data rather than the outsourced metadata? In a general search for example Roon finds some considerable number of artists called Ayo, some of which have some of her albums - whereas Qobuz has one Ayo with all 47 albums and EP’s in one place - presumably its the outsourced data Roon is using causing the confusion?

3 Likes

Yes. I was wondering as well. Found this thread when I realised I couldn’t search in roon on a Danish independent Jazz label “Storyville”. But I can in Qobuz. The use-case also crosses over into the lack of a mobility option. After a recent concert in Copenhagen I bought the CD on that label. But I couldn’t check first on my phone in roon whether there was a streaming option (there was). I guess I could have checked on Qobuz but you get my point.

2 Likes

+1. This feature is on top of my list together with Android DAC (internal/external) support :pray:

2 Likes

+1. It’s been over a year since this request was raised. Are you working on it?

1 Like

I like to organize some of my watched folders, by Label.
Last time I used Roon, out of curiosity, I tried browsing my release collection from a specific Label, by actually clicking on the Label, within Roon. I did not get as many results, as the amount I have for this Label on a watched folder. Maybe this means some of the tags, on my releases, are not exactly the same as Roon sees it for this Label…I don’t know…

What I’m trying to say, is that unless you want to go through every release making sure the tags are correct (if the problem is with the tags, which I don’t know), I suggest if you like to organize stuff by Label, for some of your collection, then put this one Label collection, on one watched folder.

Hopefully RoonLabs doesn’t put a limit of the amount of watched folders.

As far as I’m aware of and out of comments from the Roon team here in the forum in the past, Roon does not apply any limits to the amount of watched folders, folder nesting depth or the length of file names / file path supported. All file operations, this includes watching folders for changes, are delegated to the OS the Roon Core runs on – and from the core machine then maybe even further if non-local storage is configured/used in some way. This doesn’t mean that there are no limits – just that they are not set/given by Roon.

1 Like

Thanks, BlackJack.