Searching for Roon Server failure

Don’t know if you saw my last message, but I have both plugged in. Still nothing. When I look at what the HDMI and USB ports are for, it is not clear that they are for monitors or keyboards.

Well, they are indeed used for USB and HDMI devices. So if there really is nothing showing on the monitor after a reboot of the Nucleus, then something serious has gone wrong. And yet that doesn’t jive with the fact that, with the old SSD, you were seeing the Web Administration interface page even though it was reporting exit code 40.

Let’s wait to see what @support have to say.

OK. Hopefully, this extra bit of info helps. I have turned off the Nucleus and back on twice at least with a USB keyboard plugged in and my TV monitor into the HDMI port. Nothing comes onto the screen, but when I turn Roon on remotely, it shows that I could load Roon server onto one of them (a green dot appears beside the name of the computer, either my Macbook Pro or Mac mini), which I don’t want to do. On that page, I have the option of trying to “Configure Roon OS devices on your network.” When I click on it, Roon shows the Nucleus on the network, but when I click on the address, it either tells me that the connection failed (as in my previous message), or it shows that it is trying to load (an icon blinks on and off), but goes on endlessly (overnight). When I look for the Nucleus on my Mac in Finder, it detects it. But when I try to connect, the connection fails.

I suspect that is a cached IP address in Roon from a time when the Nucleus was up and running.

I assume that you are now at the state where:

• you have removed the original SSD and
  • replaced it with the new SSD, but you have not successfully installed ROCK on it.

Yes, that’s correct. I mentioned in a previous post that I have loaded the software using balenaEthcher onto a USB flash drive, which is now plugged into the Nucleus+. balenaEtcher indicated, “Flash Completed! 1 Successful target”. But after it successfully loaded, my Mac would not register that the USB drive was plugged in, when I hadn’t done anything yet. It disappeared from Finder.

I believe that is to be expected. The formatting of the USB drive is of a type that Finder can’t deal with.

Hi @Bruce_Morito,

Thanks for the detailed follow up, and sorry for your issues you’ve run into so far! Thank you @Geoff_Coupe for the support on this - you’ve helped clarify some important information. :pray:

Bruce, if possible, could you re-attempt the process but try using Rufus instead of Ethcher? In the past, we’ve seen situations where one will work while the other has odd issues.

If you can’t get things working after that, we can get an RMA started and have you send in the Nucleus for repair.

Let me know! :+1:

Benjamin: there doesn’t seem to be a Mac version of Rufus.
I have also contacted the dealer from whom I bought the unit. Would it be best to have them try to work with you on a fix, since it looks like my tech abilities and resources are too limited.

Bruce

Hi @Bruce_Morito,

Yes, your dealer can certainly help with the RMA process. Good to get in touch with them directly in this case. :white_check_mark:

Benjamin: I’ll take it in during the next couple of days. While it is in for repair, I’d like to switch my Roon core over to one of my Macs. Could you send me instructions for my situation: 1) all music files are backed up to a different disk. Obviously, I am unable to access music files on the Nucleus+). 2) Most recent Roon back up is Nov 17, 2023 (5.01 Gb), which was manually backed up from the backup drive connected to the Nucleus to my MAcbook Pro. I used my Roon backup USB flash drive to load the re-boot file, not knowing that the process would completely re-format the USB drive. So, no Roon backup on the original backup disk. Thanks

Hi @Bruce_Morito,

Are you able to re-format the drive? Unfortunately without a backup available, you’ll have to start off with a fresh instance of Roon on your Mac, which you can download from our website - you can then connect and import your drive holding your local library.

To confirm, all you need from the re-formatted drive is your backup file - from there you can open the freshly downloaded Roon and select ’ restore from backup’ and locate+select your backup file. Here’s more info:

@benjamin: I’ve taken it in to my dealer. He informs me that Roon’s Canadian distributor is changing and that the Nucleus is undergoing a re-modelling, because of a parts problem. Will this have implications for getting the Nucleus fixed?
On the matter of moving Roon to my Mac: when I try to load Roon through my remote (the Mac I used to have it on before the Nucleus), it gives me the option of switching my core to it, with a little green light below the option. I haven’t tried it, fearing another mess. Could I use this option to switch my Roon core instead of downloading Roon from the site?

Hi @Bruce_Morito,

It shouldn’t - it will depend on what part needs replacing and if your dealer has it in stock and if any parts would need to be shipped for replacement. It will likely not have any implication on getting your Nucleus fixed though.

Yes, this is another way to temporarily switch servers, and have Roon Server run on your Mac. It will appear as a fresh instance of Roon, you’d need to restore from a saved Backup to load your prior library and settings.

I have switched my server to my Mac-mini and everything seemed to be going well, until I had to log in again. As I was restoring from my backup, my files were being recognized and the count for tracks and albums etc. were being tabulated. Then, all tabulations on the home page returned to 0 (zero). Roon recognizes my Mac-mini, I think, since it recognizes that the server is on “This Computer”, but it says my Roon server name is “brucemoritosnucleusplus”, despite my having removed that as the server in order to use my mac-mini. Help.

HI @Bruce_Morito,

Do you have your local library added as a watched folder within your Mac mini server setup? If you head to Roon Settings> Storage, how are things looking?

If you head to Roon Settings> Setup, you should be able to re-name your Roon Server. :+1: