Roon Server Machine

Nucleus+
Remote - Macbook Pro M1, Sonoma 14.1.2

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Asus Router, connecting Macbook Pro and Nucleus+ via ethernet

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Jan 6, after 3 weeks away, I attempted to load Roon. It notified me that an update was available, so I pressed “Update All”.

Everything seemed to be going fine, until it asked me to “Find the Roon Server”. It couldn’t find it. Roon just kept searching (for 10 minutes).

I then searched in Finder to see if the Nucleus + was showing in the network. It was. But when I tried to access it, a “Connection Failure” message appeared.

I then tried rebooting the Nucleus+ by unplugging the power, waiting 30 secs. and then re-inserting the power plug. All lights were on, but the system still could not locate the Nucleus+ and now it was not showing up in Finder.

I then tried shutting down the Nucleus+ by pressing the power button, until the lights went off. I re-started it and tried to start Roon up again, once all lights came on. Roon core could not be found still.

That’s the situation now. Roon ARC quit on me half way through my trip to visit family, as well.

Bruce

Can you access the Web Administration interface of the Nucleus by typing its IP address into a web browser?

Geoff: No, it tried for a few minutes, then gave me an error message that it couldn’t find the page. The next time I tried, it immediately gave me the error message. I then shut down the whole system overnight and just re-booted it. The Nucleus lights are on, but now when I load Roon on my Macbook Pro, it only gives me the option of choosing my Mac as a Server. The Nucleus doesn’t even show up. When I ask to connect, it tells me I have to get permission. I of course do not want to use my Mac as a the server.

Thanks,
Bruce

I suspect that if you connect a monitor or a TV to the HDMI connector on the Nucleus it won’t be displaying a message telling you its IP address. It sounds as though the SSD has failed.

Two questions:

• Is the unit still within the 2 year warranty period?
  • Did you buy it from a dealer or direct from Roon Labs?

Your answers will determine the next steps from the Support team. Thanks.

Geoff: unfortunately, you are right. Connecting the Nucleus+ via HDMI 1 yields a blank screen.

I bought it in May of 2021 at a dealer (Audio Ark, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada), so does that mean I’m out of luck?

Would it make sense to try re-loading the software through the USB port, if that even makes sense?

The symptoms point to a failure of the m.2 SSD. Given that the Nucleus is out of warranty, the best course of action would be to replace the SSD.

Here’s what the Roon Labs Support team say about this situation:

Note that you’ll need a USB drive for this process that you can connect to a computer, and then the Nucleus.

The first thing you’ll want to do is purchase a new SSD. Here is a link to one SSD option we recommend to many users:

https://www.amazon.com/Transcend-TS128GMTE110S-128GB-Solid-State/dp/B07CXC32T2/ref=sr_1_1?tag=roonlabs0b-20

And here is a short video on how to replace the SSD on your device: Nucleus SSD replacement.mp4

After that, you’ll need to format the SSD. We have a good help article you can find here for next steps. Start from step #3 :

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en/kb/articles/rock-install-guide#4_Writing_to_a_USB_flash_drive_from_a_second_computer_not_the_NUC:~:text=3.%20Download-,To%20install%20ROCK,-%2C%20you%20will%20first

Essentially, you’ll be flashing the ROCK OS to a USB drive, and using it to boot and format the new SSD in your Nucleus.

Once you’ve successfully flashed ROCK onto the new SSD, keep your Nucleus online and let me know. From there, we can update you to the Nucleus OS on our end. :+1:

Well, it started working again!
This time, I disconnected everything, including the Matrix SPDIF re-clocker and the connection to my DAC (PS Audio Direct Stream MkII). I left it that way for about 12 hours, reconnected everything and then powered up. Initially, Roon could not find the Core, as before. But after leaving it running for several hours, while I watched a movie, I decided to check again and saw a new option for the Nucleus+ Core. I chose that.

At first, I couldn’t get any sound, until I switched to my Matrix/PS Audio location option. I did not have the Nucleus+ Core location option before, so I don’t know what is happening. I also thought that the Core name was changed to “Server”. However, when I go to “About” under Settings, it says Roon Server version 2.0 (build 1357).

I can also now reset Roon ARC, which had failed, while I was away. I can also access the Web Administrator page. Everything, then, seems to be in order.

Since I had already had Roon searching for the core for a couple of hours previously, which failed, is there something I need to be aware of that I might have missed? Or, could the SSD have become unstable and just happened to start up again for some unknown reason?

Thanks, Bruce

It’s possible that the SSD is failing. I am ruling out problems with your network, because you said that there was a blank screen on the HDMI output of the Nucleus.

One thing to try is to reinstall the RoonOS using the reinstall button on the Web Administration interface. This will give you a fresh installation of RoonOS and Roon Server, but it will preserve your current database and settings, so you don’t have to start from scratch and set up the Nucleus again.

If the SSD does fail completely in the future, you have the procedure for replacing it from my earlier post.

1 Like

Many thanks for your great help, Geoff. I’ve never had the kind of careful analysis you’ve given to my issue from Roon before.

I’ll try what you advise, although I must say, I’m a bit nervous to do anything that might revert Roon back to its problem state.

Thanks, again.

Bruce

Sorry, here we go again.
I did try to re-load the operating system. After a few minutes, I got an error message and lost my connection to the Nucleus+. It asked me to take a screen shot, which I did, but there is some sensitive info in it, so here is the message verbatim:

“Error. There was an error installing the software. Please take a screen shot and contact support. [“status”: “Failure”,exitcode”:40]. OK

I’m going to leave the Nucleus hooked up and turned on to see if it will again give me the option to choose the Nucleus+ as the Roon Server. Right now it is only giving me the option of choosing my Macbook Pro. This does sound like a software problem, rather than a hardware one.

Bruce

Update Jan 8

Tried again after letting it sit all hooked up.

Reloaded Roon. Gives me the option of making my MacBook Pro the Server.
But I clicked on the bottom line “Configure Roon OS Devices on your network” - The Nucleus+ option pops up under “Roon OS Devices”, with the Version 1.0 (build 259), Serial # and Address.
I click on the address, which takes me to the admin page. It says that Roon Server is not running, although it is OK.

First, I tried to reload the OS. It took 30 minutes before giving me the error message, “Something went wrong. Please check network connection and try again”. I did check the connections and everything appeared fine. Other devices from the same switch are running. And since the Nucleus+ shows up when I click on “Configure Roon OS Devices on your Network”, the network connection must be OK.

I then exited Roon and re-loaded it. Got the same page, so I went back to the admin page and re-started the Server. It says that the Server has been successfully started, but then, after I press the OK button, it gives error message, “Failed to load device state (status: 0). Please refresh”.

Since it gives the option of configuring the Nucleus Plus on the page, “Roon OS devices”, the Nucleus+ must be running and on the network; and since I can get to the admin page and try reloading the OS and Re-starting the Server, the problem can’t be the hardware. Or, could it?

Well, it sounds like a failing SSD to me. You say that there was a situation where the Roon Server on the Web Administration interface page was not running - that is also a symptom of a failing SSD, as is the network section not showing details:

Personally, I would just replace the SSD, install ROCK on it to get the Nucleus back up and running, and then ask @support to upgrade RoonOS to the Nucleus version remotely.

OK, I’ll go that route. What size SSD are you recommending? They have 128, 256 and 512 Gb.
By the way, indeed, the Roon Database and Settings was Not Ready, although Networking is filled in. Here’s a screen shot

The Nucleus comes with 128GB - that’s all you need. (in fact the earliest models came with 64GB, but it’s not worth searching for them any more…)

I’ve got a 128GB SSD in my ROCK/NUC system, and 91% of it is free space…

Actually, looking at your Nucleus+ - I see it has a 256GB SSD - so go with that…

Following the steps you outline. When I tried to download the roonbox… img.gz file, it came with an .img ending, not the gz. Can I just transfer that file to the flash drive using Mac’s Finder?
The Etcher program can’t seem to find the file, perhaps because it doesn’t have the gz ending?

Trying to become familiar with the process before the SSD comes.

It’s a compressed image folder, and my balenaEtcher app is having no problems with it. Mind you, I’m on Windows, not a Mac…

I find this kind of difference between Macs and Windows all the time. Frustrating. It seems to me that .dmg extensions are typical of Mac programs, so it may be that that’s all I need and don’t have to do anything more. If you hear of any source of info, I can try to figure it out.

The SSD is going to take 1.5 weeks to get here, anyways, so I have time to figure it out.

OK, Geoff, the new SSD has arrived and is installed.

I again tried to download the roonbox file and get something a bit different. The file name is roonbox-linux64-nuc4-usb-factoryreset-100000258.img that’s it. No gz extension. But Etcher found it and flashed a file onto my USB drive, with a “Flash Complete” message.
When it was finished, I could no longer see the USB drive in Finder. I tried to plug it into the Nucleus+ anyway, but nothing happened. I also realized that instructions for a NUC, e.g., holding down the F10 button, doesn’t seem possible with my setup. There is no keyboard attached to the Nucleus+. So, I don’t seem able to load the file onto my Nucleus+.
I tried again to load Roon and go to the Admin page, but of course it told me, "Failed to load device state (status:0).
Next steps?

Other details: I plugged an HDMI cable into the HDMI ports on the Nucleus+, but nothing comes up on the screen. That cable works with my Blu ray player, so it is not the cable or TV setting.
I tried plugging a USB keyboard into one of the USB ports on the Nucleus+, switched it around with the USB flash drive; still nothing.

So, I guess the question is: Is there a different procedure for the Nucleus+ than for a NUC?

Well, you need to have a USB keyboard and monitor plugged in to your Nucleus temporarily as part of the ROCK installation procedure. Without these, you won’t be able to complete the installation.