Seeking Grouping Suggestions

What is the best way to group a Roon Ready device with another but also have them play individually when desired?

I’m trying to have Roon control devices in different rooms of my home and at times I may want them to be synced and other times may want different streams playing on each.

What I do now is enable the AirPlay function of each device and group those, while keeping the Roon Ready function ungrouped.

You should get the highest resolution playback available from your endpoints using the Roon Ready connection over Airplay.

I have 6 RR endpoints connected, one is HDMI and the rest are Ethernet, and that is my preference.

I group mine for whole house music or ungroup them for individual locations, or any combinations of grouped and ungrouped as desired.

Sounds like that is what your currently doing with Airplay.

I keep the RR protocol ungrouped and select that when listening through my HiFi systems.
I keep AirPlay grouped and select that when listening through my whole home audio sytem.

This allows me not to have to ungroup and regroup each time. Was hoping I could have instances of the same devices grouped and ungrouped using RR but that doesnt seem possible.

1 Like

I’m using the same approach. On the one hand it’s convenient to not have to fiddle with the groups every time you want to change where you’re listening. On the other hand, my reasoning is also that when playing to multiple zones it usually means I’m moving around the house doing something or other, in which case I’m not actively listening and the reduced quality of Airplay is less of a concern.

There is a long standing feature suggestion to address your question:

Thanks for the feedback Gents, seems like this method is the way to go…at least for now.