Server 2012 R2 in AO Core Mode NAS issues [fixed]

The issue is not an AO problem as I have stated before. It is Roon in Core Mode of Server 2012 R2 WITHOUT AO that doesn’t work. As a result of it not working in Core Mode of Server it also doesn’t work with AO installed, BUT, AO is not the issue. It is something to do with Roon accessing library files while in Core Mode of Server 2012 R2. Hopefully this is being looked into. Roon and AO people are aware BUT it is a Roon issue if they decide to address it.

Thanks

Hey @landogarner @Priaptor – sorry for the slow response here, looks like we missed this thread. Server 2012 isn’t officially supported yet, but we are doing some internal testing and hoping to officially support it soon.

I haven’t been doing the testing myself, so I need to circle back and see if we can reproduce the issues described here.

Can you let me know a little more about how you’re trying to add the NAS? Is there an error? It sounds like Roon worked, but not RoonServer?

This looks more like a media pack issue to me. Are you sure you have required codecs installed?

I installed windows server role essentials experience but I did not have positive results , I also tried to install the core Windows Media Server Essentials Pack installed , but this returns me to Gui mode.

roon server in the gui version works perfectly without the essentials pack server installation , it works well in all modes minimal server I think the problem is to be found elsewhere, with AO installed nothing changes.

Just to clarify.

Roon needs the Media Pack and Essentials installed to work in GUI and Minimal Server mode. When installed it does not work in Core mode of Server

Roon Server does not need Media Pack or Essentials installed to work in GUI or Minimal Server mode of Server and Roon Server works fine. However, it does NOT work in Core mode of Server.

In Core mode, Roon (with Media pack & Essentials installed) or Roon Server ( with or without Media Pack & Essentials installed) cannot access one’s library. You can Remote with Roon on your iPad but if you try to play it tries to start but goes no where as it can’t access one’s library. The setup for one’s disk is no different than usual. In the setup I just point to my NAS like usual which works in minimal server or GUI server or any other operating system

i agree in everything, and what feedback virtually from me .

Finally I have managed to setup a 2012R2 GUI without RoonServer (no GUI) complaining about missing mfreadwrite.dll and mfplat.dll.

However, now the GUI client is constantly changing between the following 3 states :

This had happened also during my last setup while win10 was connected without any problems. No firewall activated anywhere… No AO present, just virgin 2012R2 with all updates.

Anybody with an idea about this ?

Hi,
Just to kick in, I am having similar problems with ws2012r2. Roon starts, shows it’s found some music then just disappears. I am mapped to my nas so storage device is simply the drive letter. IPad connects then drops connection and cycles thru that as long as I want to watch it. I followed Phil’s suggested method exactly but clearly have a different result (see hisforum post “room server and Ws2012r2”). I wanted to try Roon on my WS machine for comparison to AO WIN 10 machine and had to pay for the second license so I hope we can solve this!
Thanks,
Jim

Hello Folks

Roon will not work on Server 2012 R2 if you don’t install the Essencials Role and the Windows Media Pack OR you use AO and its “Install Kernel-Streaming and MediaPlayers” feature.

The second option will remove the need to install the essentials role and the mediapack, but this work is still in progress to reach perfection. (This will also fix DLL errors and missing codec’s etc.)

The NAS issue has nothing to do with all this, it’s related to the OS itself. I am still investigating on the issue with network drives and will hopefully find a solution very soon.

Please everyone who is willing to help resolve the NAS issue shoot me a message to windows10@highend-audiopc.com so I know who can test future AO betas regarding this NAS issue.

Best,
Phil

Hi, I upgraded the roon server and roon on ipad then I returned to core mode to see if it worked all right now, I have to say it was stepped boast as it is now seen nas and loaded all my library, but I have one problem when I start a song with my ipad me a message appears that says “Transport: Failed to load the media.” To be noted that they are with hqplayer in audio network mode then send the music in my NAA. everything works perfectly with Windows Server 2012 in minimal mode.

Thanks and I hope will solve the problem permanently.
If you want to attach log.

Michele.

Hi someone has solved.
Thanks.

Hi, I am also getting the “Transport: Failed to load media.” error in both Server 2016 Core and Server 2012 R2 Core mode. This happens when trying to play files my library and from Tidal. I’m using AO 2.2 Beta4 and this happens when I am using both a Roon Ready endpoint and a HQplayer NAA. michele_mirenda could you please tell me what did you do to solve this?

Thanks,
Dean