Server shows "initializing" - Android app can't connect

I have this intermittent issue also. Galaxy S6 Edge android 6.0.1. Running RoonServer on Linux Elementary OS (was also having the same issues on Ubuntu 16.04 so I switched to Elementary to see if it persisted). As others have stated sometimes rebooting the phone fixes it but not always. Sometimes it reconnects on it’s own (but rarely). I’ve found bouncing the RoonServer always fixes it immediately (which is what had me chasing the Linux distro thinking maybe it was a server side problem).

Having the same issues here with Galaxy S7. Prior to 1.3 release I was having constant problem with disconnects, to the extent that I found the product almost unusable. Who wants to walk around with their laptop to change music? I was hoping 1.3 would fix this problem. Phone is running 1.3 32bit (196), Core is 1.3 (200). The problem has not gone away. I uninstalled and reinstalled the Android client and that didn’t fix the problem. My logs show the same things as posted above. I have not seen the same problem with MacOS clients 1.3 (200) 64bit

Having the same issue as well with Galaxy S7 and on my tablet Nexus 10. But I run Elac Discovery with Roon Essentails

Same issue. Samsung Note 4/Linux 1.3.
Only reboot helps.
Unusable and unstable platform… 499€ :pensive:

Same here with Galaxy Tab A. A core reboot gets me in but SWMBO doesn’t know this.

I don’t know if these problems are related, but there are some more reports about difficulties with the android app here:

Let’s get @support into the loop.

Am having the same issue ! Just created a discussion topic here: Android Roon Remote not connecting... stuck at 'initializing'

Having the same issue on Samsung s7 and Samsung a3 (2016).

Please fix this, incredibly annoying!

Some more info:
Android 7.0
Roon build 233
Server is Linux, no problem connecting from windows remote.
Tried force stopping the app, still the same problem.
Rebooting the phone fixed the problem temporarily.

I’m als having the same issue on a samsung galaxy s6 running android 7.0. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it just keeps initializing. My core is running on Ubuntu Server 16.04.2 LTS. Roon version 3.1. build 234.

Same issue appeared today.
I tried :
Turning wifi on off, onto the s7 - no fix
Reinstalled app on s7 - no fix
Restarted the s7 - works again

I haven’t found a systematic way to the Android app to connect to the core. Sometimes just rebooting the core fixes it, sometimes I have to reboot the core multiple times and/or reboot the Android (Samsung S6 on Android 7) to get it to reconnect…

Having the same issue. Does the Android app get any priority with the Roon developers? There are problems with the Android tablet app screen tearing at the edges, performance issues with the tablet app and now connectivity problems with the Android phone app which I assume will start occurring with the tablet.

Buggy and frustrating for an expensive piece of software.

Nice to know I am not the only one getting tearing at the edges. I find just rebooting the device fixes the connection problems with core. Hardly ideal but I guess development for android is like windows to many hardware configs to deal with.

Frustrating, isn’t it? I have a Samsung S7 and an old Samsung tablet. Both will connect to the core with the Roon Android App - sometimes. I see no relationship between when they can and when they cannot connect. In fact, I purposely logged into the Roon core a couple hours before my dinner party last night - just to assure muself that all was well. It was - until the dinner party started when, as these folks are saying, the two devices (yes, both of them) failed to connect to the core. I had to keep going back to a hard-wired computer to control the Roon Server.

I am thinking of getting some new tablet or laptop which I will place closer to the “listening zone.” Must it be a hard-wired (ethernet) connection to a windows computer? At least I know that setup works.

Is there any development work taking place now on the Android app? Sure would be nice to be able to use these devices to control Roon…

That’s one of the reasons I put together a Pi3 with a 7" screen running RoPieee and put it next to my TV. it is hardwired and I can skip tracks pause etc. The android devices I have just don’t want to connect unless I restart the core.

Bob, I did that too, at your suggestion. Yes it does keep its connection (unless the Roon extension happens to stop for some unknown reason, which it just did for me). But you cannot select music or adjust volume - just skip tracks and see what’s playing.

Got a new Samsung Galaxy Tab A - still the same problem getting and keeping a connection to the server. Still hoping to use this tablet to control my music. But just when you want to impress someone… it cannot find the Roon server. Not just frustrating, but also maddening.

I have made a bookmark in the web browser on my tablet to the ROCK web manager and I find that just saving the settings makes it connect. I don’t have to change anything or restart. just hit save on the main page of the rock web page. It works better if you tell the remote to try to connect to a differnet core, though.

Sorry to hear your connection problems but fyi, here’s my setup with no problems, nor have have I ever have I ever experienced what you’re describing. Here’s my configuration:
RoonServer 1.0.2 on SSD hosted via QNAP NAS to LinkSys WRT1900AC router
Samsung S8 running Android 7.0 (had an S7 until July), wifi at 5 GHz
Samsung Tab S 8.4 running Android 6.0.1 (latest OS released for this product), wifi at 2.4 GHz
Roon build 269

I recently ran a test on another piece of hardware and left Roon running for 24 hours with hiccups.