Server Sleep and Wake on LAN

Wake on Lan is a function that can be set in the BIOS of the computer. In essence, your computer BIOS is listening on the WAN port(s) and will initiate a power up if it gets the proper signal, from one of the apps danny is referencing.

I have worked my way through this long saga and am disgusted by the Roon responses.

I would summarise the discussion as this…

• There is a very strong community request for WOL.

• There is a very strong economic case for WOL.

• There is a very strong environmental case for WOL.

• Roon’s techies have responded in strength to the above with a stream of nay saying reasons why they will not implement any of the suggestions, amplified by a succession of reasons why they alone think it can’t be/won’t be done.

Customers 0 - Roon Luddites 100
Sensible path forward 0 - Roon Luddites 1000

As a PhD in computer science it is trivial to implement what the Community asks for and even simpler to offer this as a user switch option yes/no.

Roon spends more time and effort giving the finger :fu: to the Community than it would take to implement the desired option.

I would hope that Roon is better than this… great product… sadly at risk of becoming a product to avoid owing to poor respect for its customers.

Now wait to see if Roon can be supportive and listens… or if I get banned…

Dr John Gillies

7 Likes

ATM I’m using apple shortcuts to turn off my Ubuntu RPI4 endpoint, and WOL for my NUC/Apple shortcuts to switch off. Works fine, but I agree it would be a better user experience with this inbuilt into the Roon app.

I would welcome WOL/Standby Rock control, and even a custom section for scripting.

But… as a priority I would prefer Roon fixes the existing issues in the software first… Like pause/play issues, GUI ripping issues in PEQ control, etc.

Yeah, I really don’t see what the problem is here. WOL works fine, but I’m not sure why I’m forced to use a third party app to do it, this functionality should be built in.

WOL Command sent by the remote App would be a great feature. At the moment I always have to either start the core (MacMini) directly or via my Remote Desktop App, that supports WOL.

2 Likes

+1

I also would like to have WOC service for my NUC in the ROON-Software

On average I can use ROON for 2 hours a day, most of the day my dedicated ROON server is sleeping.

Would it be possible to send a magic package if the configured ROON CORE cannot be found?
Currently I use a 3th party WOL app, it would improve the user experience if the ROON clients could send the package.

An additional nice feature would be if ROON ROCK would support WOL. Currently I use Ubuntu and autosuspend. In autosuspend you can configure bandwidth thresholds for sleeping, which works great with ROON!
https://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jammy/man1/autosuspend.1.html

2 Likes

Solution on my Windows 11 Roonserver:

• With ‘powercfg /requests’ check the exe keeping your server awake
  • With ‘powercfg /requestsoverride’ prevent this exe from keeping it awake
  • Install the app ‘Coffee_FF’, and have it start with windows
  • Setup the ‘Download/upload treshhold’, and the ‘Delay to remove sleepblock’ in this app
  • In your networkcard settings check ‘allow this device to wake…’, and uncheck ‘only allow a magic pattern…’

Result: if I start Roon on my tablet, my server wakes and starts Coffee_FF. This app keeps the server awake as long as there is network activity, in other words: as long as I stream music with Roon. If I stop Roon on my tablet, Coffee_FF stops blocking Windows from sleeping and the normal windows powerplan becomes active.
If I start Roon on my tablet again, the server wakes, Coffee_FF starts blocking, ect…

It’s a bit technical maybe, but google is your friend :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Peter_Brand Thanks for the suggestion! I tried something similar, unfortunately it is not a solution (for my situation). When I disable the “the only magic pattern”, other devices within my network wake up the computer.

@danny
Implementation suggestion:
Add a “Wake up core” button next to the “Select a different core” button. The button could be hidden by default. Add a setting in the core or client to display the button. The magic package should be sent to the configured core.

I assume that the idle power consumption of modern computers is seen as neglectable. This does not hold for all computers! See the environmental impact these efforts could make. How many dedicated roon servers are currently running 24/7?

I have the same problem with needing to use magic packets only, my work around on android is to do the following.

Install “Wake on Lan” (by Mike Webb) from the store, and configure it to do WOL with your machine.

Install Automate (by LlamaLab) and configure it to do a WOL when the Roon app is brought to the foreground, this is done by creating a flow as below.

The audio volume box at the bottom is not required, it’s dealing with another thing that annoys me.

This works really well for me.

4 Likes

@Kevin_Hughes Thanks! This works :+1: On iOS I can accomplish something similar using the app shortcuts and a WOL app that supports shortcuts such as Wake Me Up.

Still it would be nice if roon (server/client/rock) would save energy out of the box.

3 Likes

I have now done something similar: installed the app ‘Off’ on my iPhone and the ‘Off’ helper app on the Mac Mini. As I only need to wake up the Mac Mini, I can use the free version. So far it seems to work well.

In the Energy Saver settings of the Mac Mini I configured

• the Mac Mini to go to sleep after 1 hour of inactivity
  • the Mac Mini to go to sleep 00:20 at night, which will effectively make it go to sleep 10 minutes later, so at 00.30

BR,
Richard

1 Like

Thank you for your insight here.
I can see how this could turn the server off but how can you then start it up again?

Your solution and others before also highlight why it would be most welcome for Roon to do this natively……each solution we present is tied to the operating system platform…yours is Apple, others is Microsoft, mine is Linux.

Maybe Roon will come aboard soon😏

That is the beauty of this app, if your Mac Mini went to sleep, you can wake it up with one click, even with the free version of the app. So I have set up my Mac Mini to go to sleep automatically after 1 hour of inactivity and at 00:30 am. Waking it up is now easy through this app.

The screenshot below was taken from my phone just now. The colored bar indicates the state of my Mac Mini during the day. Green is On, Blue is Sleep and Purple is on but locked (I think). If the Mac Mini is asleep I can press the [Wake] button and it will turn on.

BR,
Richard

Nice…… I could almost be tempted to buy apple :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

this is definitely something I’m gonna try!

Thanks a lot for sharing your solution using autosuspend and bandwidth thresholds, works great for me as well on Debian.

Did try to configure it for Roon Arc as well using the ActiveConnection check, but does not seem to work. Did you give this a try?

Hi Woody, today I tested Roon Arc with my configuration the for first time and I think it works fine. Waking up the machine from another network is a bit more tricky, I need my router to do this. Roon Arc is using compression, so the bandwidth can be lower. I only use the networkbandwidth, see my configuration here.

1 Like

I was thinking, another challenge can be that Roon Arc maybe buffers a lot? Network activity could be low for long periods of time, maybe length of a song?. My router has special functionality to use WOL over the internet, but I also found a guide. I do notice that after loss of connection it is the quickest to reboot Roon Arc to reconnect.

1 Like

@Kevin_Hughes can you detail the 3rd item shown. What exactly are you inputting for the WOL step?