Server Sleep and Wake on LAN

Item 3 is “perform a tasker / plugin action”, inside you select Wake Device from Wake on Lan, then select the pc you want to wake that you have already configured in wake on Lan.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing your auto suspend configuration. Simular settings over here and works fine now for Roon income usage.

Regarding Roon ARC the solution indeed is a WOL configuration which works over the internet. I have done a little bit of monitoring the bandwidth usage of Roon ARC. And buffering is indeed one reason for low bandwidth usage for longer period.

Besides network usage depends on the audio source. Playing local files from the server uses quite some bandwidth. But when playing from Qobuz the Audi stream seems to bypass the Roon server and there is hardly any bandwidth usage. That’s why I tried to use the ActiveConnectionin auto suspend settings. But it failed.

So for now the solution is setting the autosuspend time to a longer period and use remote WOL once in a while. And part of this feature request should be support for Server Sleep and Wake on LAN while using Roon ARC.

A yes, if the Roon Core gets bypassed it gets difficult… although I wouldn’t mind if the server sleeps in that situation. Thanks for the advice and providing all the details (Y).

I do mind: because a playing Qobuz stream started with ARC on my phone, stops playing if my server goes to sleep … ahhhhh.

So @danny : will there ever be a solution for ‘Server Sleep and Wake on LAN’? I mean: this topic started 7 years ago. I would love a final answer, so I can decide what to do with my Roon. Tia!

Roons position (as I understand) is that they want the core left running 24/7 - anything less negatively affects the user experience outside their control. eg, you’re angry at Roon, but it’s your own fault for sleeping the server, etc, etc.

Well, angry? Frustrated. Because:

• I did not test Roon well enough before buying a lifetime licence.
  • I do not like keeping any machine turned on when it’s not in use. Even if it would only cost me only 1 euro a year.
  • This topic is 7 years old, it’s about time.
  • Roon is the only software that expects me to keep my server awake 24/7.

If you also check topic “Roon is preventing Windows from sleeping [Ticket In]” Noris from Roon replies to me in August:

This topic is also old: 4,5 years. There are no proactive updates from Roon: Roon only responds passivly to complaints.

After 4,5 years I would really like to know how much more patience is expected from me?

Can Roon tell how much time they need to solve this, because ‘we are still looking in to this’ after 4,5 years does not sound very comforting to me. And can Roon please be proactive, especially if a topic says ‘Ticket in’?

So again @danny: TIA!

2 Likes

This morning I monitored Roon a bit. Somehow a connection keeps being active on the ARC port, even when I close Roon ARC and put my phone in flight mode. What I did notice is that the number of connections to the Roon ARC port is higher when streaming Tidal. Autosuspend does not support counting the number of active connections to a port, but it does support running an external command. Running an externalcommand which returns 0 if the number of connections to the Roon ARC port is higher than 1 will probably work. This gets very hacky…

1 Like

Reading this multi year thread I wonder how the Roon Developers can not implement at least a WOL option! for those who care about the environment and energy saving. All the arguments have been laid out here very convincingly.
Other companies would fear a major public storm when not taking sustainability concerns seriously. I can only hope Senior management listens and takes sustainability concerns seriously at least now during times of hightend public awareness.

4 Likes

I don’t like my Roon server running 24/7, so today I have decided to cancel my yearly subscription!
It will be cancelled February next year, so we will/I will have a little time to find a solution to this big problem!

Wake on LAN works fine on DietPi with Roon Server on the same PC!
It runs OK, but only Rock have the web administrator interface!
I will now have to find another way to shutdown the Roon Server as I don’t think, it is possibly to install this on DietPi!

I found a solution - I am using Home-assistant and made a start/stop button.
I followed this guide:

@Woody netstat -natu | grep "41183 .* ESTABLISHED" -c will count the number of established connections (not sure if the port I use is the default ARC port). The problem I experienced “established connection(s) without having a client connected”, where probably related to how I closed/disconnected the client and how connections therefore where cleaned. Depending on how ROON core handles/monitors connections (using timeouts etc…) this solution is not very stable.

@Kevin_Hughes Any suggestions as to how this could work with an alternative WoL app? I’m definitely not Android-savvy, but it seems that Mike Web’s app is now too old to install on my daughter’s phone, and the app I have installed doesn’t show up as a plug-in within Automate.

You could try the following, I’ve not tried it so cannot vouch for it. Plugins for tasker should work in automate.

Unfortunately, that’s just a page talking about how good the Mike Webb Wake-on-LAN app is!

Audiophiles leave their gear on 24/7!

This is a dumb response.

Roon Core is a server and should be available on command. Especially when pushing apps like Arc. In 2023 it’s not unreasonable or novel idea to send a WOL command. Hasn’t been for 30 years. Plex does this…

2 Likes

Toby, sorry for the late follow up. I’ve just got a pixel 8 and had to look up on his thread how I did this before. The wol app installs on my new phone, and works, not sure if the app was updated since you tried but I see no reason it shouldn’t install on a current phone.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for your reply. It actually got updated about 3-4 weeks ago after a really long period with nothing. It now installs on my daughter’s phone without any issue.

Send WOL(Wake On Lan) command from Roon client APP to wake up Roon server!

Has been discussed many times and Roon have said no many times.