Set up questions, What / Where is the Core Core?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Not sure as this is my question.
I have Windows 10 computer.
I have a Roon Ready device a Gato Audio amplifier.
Which one is my core?

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on IWiFi/Ethernet)
Ethernet cable to switch connecting the internet router and my Seagate Personal Cloud NAS.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Roon Ready Gato DIA 250s NPM

Description Of Issue
I just need to set up Roon. I need to know if my Windows 10 computer is my core or is the Gato Audio DIA 250 s NPM the core. I intend to control Roon with an Android tablet, phone and the Windows 10 laptop.

I have some experience as I have Roon Essentials on a Elac device this will be disconnected.

As yet I have not connected the Gato Audio DIA 250s NPM. Do I need to have this device up and running before I set up Roon?

Core is where the Roon program is running.

Sorry to appear daft but where will the roon program be running? Will it be the Windows 10 laptop or the roon ready device?

You have to download the Roon program and install it on a computer.
In this case, your laptop.

https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

Will this mean I will always need the laptop to be running to play music?

Yes, you need a computer to run a computer program. :sunglasses:

The laptop is good to see if you like Roon, but you’ll probably want to buy a different solution in the future.

Okay I think I get it. But what is “roon ready” about my device? What does it claim to be able to do by calling itself “roon ready”?

Roon Ready means that your device has all the necessary smarts to understand a network input from Core.

E.G. -
Outputs are devices that make noise.

Roon is built from the ground up to run a multi-room audio system. Whether you have one output or a dozen or more, we have you covered.

Our playback engine is built for audiophile quality playback of standard and high-resolution audio content to a wide variety of output devices.

Our RAAT streaming technology moves bit-perfect streams to Roon Ready networked devices and outputs connected to devices running Roon, Roon Server, or Roon Bridge.

Roon supports many different kinds of output devices, including:

*** Roon Ready Networked devices.**
*** Connected outputs, including USB DACs, sound cards, and built-in outputs**
*** AirPlay devices**
*** Logitech’s Squeezebox devices**
*** Meridian Audio’s networked endpoints**
*** HQPlayer**

For a more comprehensive view of our output support see here: Partner Devices Matrix

More info here -
https://kb.roonlabs.com/

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. That link should help me.

1 Like

Hi @Paul_Goodwin,

First, I’d like to point to some documentation that would be helpful for getting started:

Generally speaking, you’ll need a Core machine that meets our requirements. Your Roon Ready device can then be played to from the Roon Core using RAAT (our streaming protocol).

If you have any questions about this please let us know.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.