Several connection Issues after setting up ROCK on Intel NUC

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Intel NUC i5 - NUC10i5FNH with 16GB Ram Samsung Pro M2.0 SSD and T7 SSD for storage.

Operating System - Version 1.0 (build 227) stable

Roon Server Software - Version 1.7 (build 667) stable

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Plume Pods … Wired Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Monolith HTP-1 connected via Ethernet

Description Of Issue

I was using my laptop as the Core and using Roon on the laptop for navigation. No issues up until I decided to get the NUC and install ROCK on it and move my Core to the NUC. I updated Bios first, as in structed, then installed ROCK as instructed. However, now I can’t play music because I can’t stay connected… constantly “Trying to reconnect”. Tidal and qobuz won’t log in… keeps failing. I can go direct to Tidal and qobuz and login with no issues, but not thru the NUC with ROCK. Doesn’t make any since. I was running wireless on my laptop with no issues, now I’m wired and having all kinds of issues. I am not having any other issues on the network… everything else is running fine… only issue is the NUC and ROCK.

Regards,
Sonnie

I was hoping this morning it would be better, but it is not. Maybe I will try reinstalling ROCK.

Reinstalled ROCK … checked all the network connections and I am showing EXCELLENT signal for the NUC and for my HTP-1 endpoint. Of course everything is wired, so I would not expect there to be an issue with the network. I did swap out the Ethernet cable to the NUC to be sure. However, still have connection issues… same as before, can’t login to Tidal or qobuz and stay connected, and can’t play more than a second of music.

Regards,
Sonnie

Hi @Sonnie_Parker,

Can you please share a screenshot of your ROCK Web UI?
Should look similar to this for reference:

Here ya go…

It’s going to be something in my network. Despite it showing a good signal, something is not right. I moved the NUC from the other room to my listening room and it connects and works fine. I’ll have to talk with my network folks. The good thing is this NUC is silent, so not a big deal, although I did want it in the other room.

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

Hi @Sonnie_Parker,

Thanks for letting us know the issue only occurs in one of the rooms! Are you by any chance using a managed switch in that one affected room? In case this helps, our Networking Guide is linked below:

It’s not managed… just a simple switch.

I asked our ISP about it and they are looking into what it might be. Not sure they want to get too involved with it, as it may require them investigating ROCK and my NUC. I suppose if I have to leave it in my listening room I will do so.

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

Thanks for the update @Sonnie_Parker, if you need any feedback from us, just let me know.

My ISP advised to connect the Ethernet cable running from my entry switch to the second switch instead of directly to the second pod. He believe the pod between the two switches is attempting to multi-cast. I can then run from the second switch to the pod for Wi-Fi when I need it. I will try this tonight, but he’s fairly certain this will resolve the issue.

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

Apparently this NUC does not like going thru the Zyxel GS-108i switch. Not sure why this would be an issue, but it is.

Regards,
Sonnie

1 Like

Reviewing it spec sheet shows that is not a true un-managed switch, and it is optimized for IPTV, and as such controls the IGMP traffic, which is what Roon uses to communicate to its endpoints.

Quoted from it’s spec sheet

Optimized for IPTV DeploymentsFeaturing IGMP v1/2/3 snooping, the GS-108I is optimized for delivering IPTV service to Set-Top Boxes (STB) in a home network. The IGMP functionality prevents multicast flooding of multimedia traffic

If you review the Roon FAQ on network practices, there are issues with switches/routers that control IGMP traffic. The FAQ suggests settings for some router/switches, but the Zyxel is not on the list. However, changing its IGMP settings might correct the issue.

1 Like

I had a TP-Link 5-port switch that I had previously used before getting the Zyxel switch. I took the entry cable and connected it to the TP, then connected the cable running to my theater/listening room and connected it to the TP, along with the NUC, bypassing the Zyxel. Works great now. I then went from the TP to the Plume pod and to the Zyxel switch to connect the other items, so all is good now.

Regards,
Sonnie

2 Likes

Hi @Sonnie_Parker,

Thanks for letting us know that the setup is working nicely with the TP Link switch!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.