Severe Performance Issues - Roon on Synology DS1618+

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Synology DS1618+ NAS, 32GB Memory, DSM 6.2.2, Roon 1.7 build 537

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Fritzbox 7590, Netgear Switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Linn DSM / Sneaky, Ethernet Connection

Description Of Issue

I am having severe performance issues with Roon Core running on above NAS. After a few hours of operation, minor library changes (tagging issues, merging composition etc.) the system comes to a virtually complete standstill. Album list only loads after 12-15sec, Composition list takes even longer.

During the entire time, I have monitored the NAS performance and CPU usage maxed out at below 30%, RAM between 12-18%, i.e. the NAS ist nowhere near its limits at all.

The issues can be temporarily rectified by restarting the Roon core. But - depending on intensity of use - this will only help for a few hours or a day, after which the issues are all back again.

I would appreciate any advise on how to fix this. Thank you.

Whilst it may work your processor is way under the recommended power for roon. Compared to the minimum recommended i3. There’s been a few threads of underpowered machines stumbling after running for some time.

Hi @bbrip,

As Ged noted, your Core machine definitely falls below what we’d recommend using as a Core machine. Can you also confirm whether or not Roon is installed on an SSD?

Do you have another machine you can temporarily use as your Core as a test? Is there any improvement when you use this other Core?

Roon is installed on an SSD plugged into the NAS. I may try plugging that SSD into my iMac Pro as a temp trial later.

Still puzzled, though. That NAS runs heavy video decoding and streaming without any issues on Emby. Audio should be substantially less demanding. And it runs super smooth after a reboot, only clogs up after modifying stuff in the library to some larger extend.

Thanks.

If it happens after doing changes to the library then that makes sense as it’s probably rearranging metadata in the background and hence slows down.
This is a parallel thread about network performance, similar sort of refrain.

Ok, thanks, go it.

I’ll see wether things are improving as I am slowly but surely approaching the end of fixing all that metadata mess that Roon has presented me after importing my classical library. Once I’ve reached a relatively stable base in my library, that NAS may do just fine.

Once I know for sure that I’ll stick with Roon, I might buy a NUC. Haven’t quite reached that decision point yet.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.