SFP Modules for Lumin Streamer

Just read an interesting thread on the use of SFP modules with Lumin X1 or U2 products. The posts recommended the Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL, which I ordered today.

May I ask whether Lumin preferred 1G connectivity over 10G connectivity. Was a bit disappointed not to be able to use my former SFP+ Module. Would appreciate your arguments.

I’m commenting to follow along for the answers :slight_smile:

Fwiw, Lumin itself recommends a much cheaper $12 module. Although if you are spending the $5k on a streamer what’s an extra $60 more…

1 Like

That is a baseline configuration that works in our test for reference only, so that users can have something cheap to start experiment with before finding what works best for them. There is absolutely no sound quality implication from listing those in our web page.

I encourage users to share what they consider to work / sound best for them.

1 Like

I find it hard to understand why there would be any different. If both can handle single-mode and you use a good fiber cable (OS2 Single Mode Grade B Fiber Patch Cable – Connector LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex - Bend Insensitive) why would there be a different?

Torben

And rather than question why or how, some/many of us use trial and error to discover what sounds best. I could care less on the why and just implement what sounds best.

OP, I run a Finisar 1318 in my U2 and a Finisar 1471 (10G) in my switch. To get this to work, you must use a 1G port in your router/switch. This arrangement sounded the best to me and better than 1318s at both ends. Again, why? I have no idea.

I also live near the tech capital of the world. So I never buy modules new, unless they’regeneric (ie 10Gtek). There are too many counterfeits out there. I source from IT Professionals that I trust, who’ve pulled the modules from other tech companies’ fiber networks.

I have around 70-80 transceivers in total, from many different makes. So my experimentation was fairly thorough.

1 Like

That must be a great switch that accepts that many different SFPs from different vendors? What switch is it?

Torben

It has recognized every SFP/SFP+ module I have tried and it is surprisingly inexpensive. Even my Mikrotik switches run into issues with certain SFP/SFP+ modules. My entire LAN is fiber optics, so it’s not like I went out and bought all of these different SFP modules for my streamer.

Binardat 10 Port Gigabit SFP Switch, 8 Gigabit SFP, 2 Gigabit Ethernet, Desktop & Wallmount, Unmanaged Fiber Ethernet Switch Amazon.com

1 Like

I was bagging and tagging around half of my transceivers a month ago. I have roughly 30 more deployed in my network.

1 Like

I had some $12 trendnet modules that sounded awful. I swapped in the pricier Finnisar modules and they sounded great- all the glassiness and glare was gone. Surprised at the differences.

2 Likes

For others who are interested in buying Finisar SFP modules, note that there are fakes.

3 Likes

Hi Peter, thx for your advice. I do not understand your comment: I bought some Finisar 1318 transceivers at a trustable vendor (Mouser) and they are working fine with Lumin U2. Probably you do not think those are ‚fakes‘? Could you explain?

1 Like

Then you will be fine.

There are some fakes on eBay.

Torben

1 Like

Ooooh! Thx! Did not realize those actions. To be honest, I would not be able to distinguish them :frowning:

Thx so much!

Amazon hosts many counterfeit Finisar transceivers as well… among other fiber network components (ie Intel X520 NICs).

But to be honest: is it possible for a ‚consumer‘ without technical expertise to distinguish among original Finisar and ‚fake products‘. I have bought at a trusted vendor and really hope that those transceivers are original … thx

1 Like

It is not possible for the ‘average consumer’ to distinguish them apart. I think that’s the whole point. But one huge clue would be if the price is far lower than, say Mouser, that’s a pretty telling sign.

1 Like

I think you made the right choice of choosing from where you were going to purchase it from.

1 Like

Thx! Best greetings

1 Like

I bought from Mouser too, the quality difference b/t the trendnet modules is readily apparent.

1 Like