Shared Folders Disappeared

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Nucleus+

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Laptop/iPad

Description Of Issue

I followed Roon’s instructions to set up a shared folder on my Mac Pro (that is on the same network as Nucleus+) and it worked great for a day or so. Then it stopped working. And I can’t get the shared folders to show back up. Roon Settings>Storage Folders says “This directory is not available” no matter which device (laptop, Mac Pro, iPad)—even though the shared folders are on the Mac Pro!!

Image 2|690x316

How do I get the shared folders to show back up? Again, I didn’t change anything in the settings from when they were working.

Also, all software is the latest version.

Hi @Jack_West,

If you try connecting via IP address instead of hostname, is there any change in behavior?

Have you confirmed you used this guide to set up the shares?

I just wanted to comment on this to better explain how Roon works. The devices (clients) you use are giving you information from the server’s perspective, not the client. So, all of them show the same view of the Server’s inability to see the Share; even though you are using the client on the same machine as the share itself.

1 Like

Noris, yes, I followed the instructions you linked above the first time I did this and it worked great—but only worked for a few days, then crapped out on its own without me changing anything.

Attached is a screenshot of my Sharing settings. I tried using my IP address (smb://192.168.1.21) instead of hostname as you suggested, but this also did not work. Roon gives me an “UnexpectedError” when trying to add a folder with the IP address. It also gives me an error when trying to add new folder with the hostname. Seems like Roon can’t find this computer any more even though they are on the same network and everything had been working fine?

Any ideas on what to do to fix this?

Maybe you can also provide screenshots from Roon, depicting where you are, what the add network share window looks like and the error message in Roon? Also, can you see the share on the Mac Pro from your laptop? Can you connect to it from your laptop?

Hi @Jack_West,

Just to confirm, you tried smb://192.168.1.21/iTunes Music and also included your login information in the Roon “Add Network Share” window? Can you share a screenshot of what the error is in Roon when you try to input this?

What is your network setup like? Have you changed anything in that regard? Is the router on the latest firmware?

I hadn’t added user name and pass before and it worked, so I didn’t do it when I switched to IP address either. But now I just added credentials with IP address as you suggest and it is now working again. I’ll try this for a few days to see if it is stable.

Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I have found out that the new fix adding user name and pass (see my previous post) is not stable and didn’t stick either. So I’m still really fighting Roon on this one. It keeps dumping access to folders even though it allows access at first.

Strangely, when it dumped the IP address folders (as described above), it decided to allow the original hostname folders (which I had disabled since they weren’t working). I simply re-enabled them and they magically started working again. See attached screenshot showing the Storage Settings window. Note the original two are now working and the IP address 2 (the bottom two) are now disabled because they crapped out.

See attached screenshot showing what happens when I try to create another folder in the exact same hostname location that is currently working.

Also, I have changed nothing on my router, it is running current firmware, and I haven’t changed firmware in the middle of having this issue.

Lastly, I tried restarting Nucleus+, and this did not solve it. But I do regularly shut down the computer with the files stored on it (Jacks-Mac-Pro-2). Obviously, I restart this computer before complaining that the files are missing in Roon, but I wonder if Roon doesn’t like it when you shut down a shared computer? Seems like restarting Nucleus+ should resolve this, but it didn’t. Leaving Nucleus+ on and restarting the computer doesn’t solve it either. One combination I haven’t tried is to always shut down nucleus+ first, then the computer. Seems kinda weird to have to remember to do this, but curious if that is required?

One other clue that I will add is that I can’t make the problem happen by just shutting down the Mac Pro and restarting it. Roon continues to see the folders when I do that. But if I shut down for a day or two and restart, then I see the problem. Does Roon forget folders when it hasn’t seen them for a while?

Hi @Jack_West,

It sounds like your router might not be properly resolving hostname addresses and the IP address might be changing when you try to access the share via IP. Here is what I would do:

1. Go into your router settings and assign a Reserved IP address for both your Nucleus+ and your Mac Pro. A Reserved IP ensures that when your Mac or Nucleus first turn on, they get assigned the same IP address.

2. Disable hostname connection in Roon and enable the IP address again for your Mac Pro share.

3. Verify if the same issue is still occurring with Reserved IP addresses in place.

Thanks for the help here, but you’re at an IT level that I don’t know enough about. I thought the thing I plugged Roon into was a router, but maybe it was a hub? Don’t know the difference. So, before trying to figure out what you’re suggesting, I tried plugging the Nucleus+ into the Apple Time Machine instead of the router/hub thing. This appeared to work. At least on first try. I’ll give this a go for a few days and see if it is stable.

Is the Time Machine a router? And is there what I should have plugged the Nucleus+ into?

1 Like

Hi @Jack_West,

It sounds like your Time Machine is the router here and your “hub” is a network switch. The switch itself might not be passing hostname addresses properly, if the system is stable with the Nucleus plugged into the Time Machine capsule, then I would leave it connected there. Do let me know if it still remains stable after a few days of testing.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.