Sharing a USB HDD mounted on Raspberry Pi based Roon Endpoint

Hi,

I am new to Roon. Currently I’m running a RPI with a Hifiberry Digi Pro as a Roon endpoint. The Core is stored on a different computer in the same Network.

To the RPI I have attached a 2.5 USB HDD. I was wondering if I somehow could share the HDD so the Roon Core can use it … in order to play the FLACS on the HDD.

Regards

Is there a reason you can’t attach the HD to the core?

Perhaps you could provide details of your Roon core. What OS etc.? BTW, the thread subject is misleading … it would seem that you already have mounted a USB HDD on Raspberry Pi.

Because the computer with the core is in a different room. Streaming the FLACS via Powerline from there does
not work. But the PRI as an endpoint works fine.

I have changed the subject. Thank you.
The core is installed on a Win10 computer an connected to the RPI Hifiberry Digi + pro via Powerline in a different room.
Everything works absolute perfect accept playing FLACS from the HDD of the core computer.
With PiCoreplayer its no problem.

Sorry, I’m struggling to understand what problem you have and what device the USB should be connected. Ideally, you want the USB drive connected to Roon core. PiCorePlayer is a Squeezebox endpoint.

Some details of your setup would be really helpful. Otherwise it’s difficult to assist you. The subject line is still misleading.

All audio data must pass through the Roon Core device regardless of where the HDD is located. In the case of connecting the HDD to your RPi, the RPi would first send the Flac data to the Roon Core, then Roon Core would stream uncompressed PCM data back to the RPi (or any other) endpoint. If the HDD is connected to the Core directly, data only moves once from the Core to the RPi endpoint.

Note that Roon sends all data to endpoints as uncompressed PCM to lighten the workload of the endpoint (no decompression required). This uses more network bandwidth than sending FLAC data (approximately 2x more), so could be a reason Roon stresses your Powerline Ethernet connection more than other audio software.

1 Like

Subject was unfortunately not updated, I have updated post for you. Trust it reads ok now.

Hi,
It sounds like your powerline is compromised.

Options (in order of preference)

1. Pull an eithernet cable (and remove powerline equipment).
  2. Upgrade to better powerline equipment.
  3. Relocate Roon Core to listen Roon.
1 Like

The picture shows how the HDD is physically attached to the RPI.
I am not technically well-versed, probably that’s why I have mis-formulated the title. Thank you for your patience.

RoPieee is running on the RPI. RoPieee is recognized by the core and can be controlled by the core. Only the HDD is not being recognized. If there is no way to share the contents of the disk then the core needs to be in the other room.

Ideally, you want to move the USB to your Roon core (Windows 10) machine and then add the media through Roon settings (https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_import_music%3F.) The RPi is your network player or Roon end point and plays music sent from Roon core.

Check out https://kb.roonlabs.com/Roon_User_Guide for more information on using and setting up Roon.

My best guess is that he was hoping that, since he has a HDD connected to his RoPieee, that he could listen to the music stored on the HDD directly, so that the powerline would not be involved at all. If I am right in these assumptions, then NO, this is not possible. As stated earlier the data has to go through the CORE to get to an endpoint. Your networking needs to be improved. RoPieee supports WiFi, so maybe you would have more luck with that?

1 Like

Too many assumptions. :slightly_smiling_face: Let’s get the configuration right and then look at the problem.

1. What music plays correctly? Format?
  2. Is DSP used?
  3. Specification of the Windows PC? SSD or HDD?
  4. What happens if the RPi is connected via Ethernet?

… exactly. Thx.

1. FLAC
  2. No
  3. Win 7/64bit/SSD 128GB
  4. The RPI is already connected to ethernet.

Kenneth_Price:
" If I am right in these assumptions, then NO, this is not possible."

Regards

I thought you stated that FLAC doesn’t work, i.e. Roon core -> RPi. Also, you said that the RPi is connected via Poweline not Ethernet. Do you mean PC -> Ethernet -> Powerline --Main circuit-- Powerline -> Ethernet -> RPi?

The Core relays everything you play regardless of where it is held. In short if you were able to make the core see and use a HDD on the endpoint it still wouldn’t work because it would need to go to the core and come back again passing through your powerline twice. This has already been explained above by Jim (JWC).

2 Likes

PC (with FLACS and Roon Core) => Powerline => Main Circut =>Powerline =>Router => Ethernet => RPI (with RoPieee + HDD with FLACs on it, attached via USB)

Streaming FLACS from PC to RPI with RoPieee does not work.
Streaming Tidal from PC (Roon Core) to PPi (with RoPieee) does work.

Sorry for the confusion I created not being specific enough.

Hi @Berislav_Seljan,

The problem is your powerline adaptors do not have enough bandwidth.

Having the HDD connected to the Pi and not the PC doubles the network traffic across the powerline adaptors.

You should move the HDD that’s connected to the Pi and connect it directly to the PC that is running the Roon Core.

You seem reluctant to acknowledge / implement this suggestion, why is that? Are there other factors that are influencing you?