Short hick-ups after Fedora / Vortexbox upgrade

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
OS: Fedora 25, Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. J1800N-D2H, 4 GB.
Vortexbox 2.5, Roon Version 1.7 (build 610)

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Unify network, Streamer is connected through LAN cable to router

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
Streamer USB card -> Calix DAC

Description Of Issue

Since I’ve upgraded both Fedore to 25 from 24 and Vortexbox to 2.5 from 2.4 I have issues with short hick-ups (tick). Music is stored on the stream.

This is Andrew the creator of VorexBox if you don’t know the connection :slight_smile:

The J1800 CPU does not meet Roon minimum CPU spec. It may work ok for a very small music collection but you are bound to have problems at some point.

You would be better off running a faster CPU at least an i3. We sell the sonicTransporter i5 for this but you could use an NUC running VortexBox or Roon ROCK.

Replacing my streamer is not my intention.
It worked flawless on vb 2.4.
So moving back to 2.4 is the solution?

On second thought, I could replace the mobo.
Any suggestion for a mini-itx audio friendly board?

I have bullt a few Vortexbox with Gigabyte ultra durable mini-itx boards. Work well for me and have spdif output options. Also some with ASRock or Asus mini-itx boards, all of these with integrated AMD processors and suitable for use with passive heat sinks and fanless cases. You can find the boards on that well known auction site if you wait for them to turn up. They run Vortexbox 2.5 and Roon including modest DSP without problems, if you want to do heavy DSP you would probably want something with more grunt.

I have a separate usb card to connect to my DAC and guess WiFi is only creating extra noise. Saw more people referring to gigabyte durable. I don’t do heavy dsp.
Are there from audiophile point of view differences I should consider?
Specific model?

I don’t use wifi at all on the streamer, just an ethernet connection. I also prefer to use spdif rather than usb although more out of personal preference rather than any particular technical reason.
For me the priorities are an attractive case (usually Hush cases for me), fanless configuration with passive heat sinks for the processor, low power consumption, spdif output from the motherboard - either toslink on the backplate or spdif headers on the board for a coaxial connection. I also found an HDplex linear power supply for the streamer to be beneficial but this is probably only the case if using a direct output from streamer to a dac rather than a networked end point. Gigabyte and ASrock motherboards have worked well for me, these are long life boards suitable for industrial applications and appliances. Some Asus boards look suitable too. These boards all have integrated processors which should be better for reliability and keeps the cost reasonable too.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.