Show us your signal path

Short (path) is sweet :slight_smile:

1 Like

My headphone rig.

My main rig with Allo DigiOne feeding Chord Electronics 2Qute DAC.

2 Likes

Amazingly beautiful with this Meridian Prime headphone amp/dac and new AEON open back headphones.

Here’s mine… keeping it as simple as possible for the main listening room (living room).
Roon Server (Mint 19.3) -> RaspberryPi -> Digione Signature -> Genelec 8330a using SAM
Only conversion is performed by the Genelecs own dsp in the end.

For my office a bit more conversion going on :slight_smile:

Regards,
Toby

I might have the most unconventional signal path here. I have an 8 channel Motu Ultralite AVB pro interface I use to drive active speakers. Roon converts everything to 96/24 and sends LR stereo out to the Motu interface.

The LR stereo then loops back through the interface into Reaper which is a highly configurable DAW like ProTools. At the end of the processing chain Reaper sends the right frequencies to each output channel. One huge advantage is Reaper works in realtime with only very small gaps in playback when adjustments are made. And a very nice real time spectrum display…

5 Likes

real interested in your setup. i was intending to go down the minidsp route, multiple DACs (rpi roon > SPDIF to nanodigi > 2x schiit modi DACs, etc), being fed from an rpi roon endpoint, maybe building a dedicated i5/i7 roon core to “power” it all. but, i was interested in getting a fully integrated roon-based streaming/DSP system (eliminating minidsp if possible). based on my initial investigation it didn’t seem practical; multiple endpoints streaming to 2 channel DACs. not great.

i saw from another post of yours that you were trying to do FIR through roon for an 8 channel setup - did that not work out and you have to use reaper? doesn’t the MOTU have stuff like crossovers and filtering in its software as well? i too was considering an audio interface as a possible option but i wasn’t seeing any full fledged implementations, aside from this post. so i’m curious how its worked out for you!

@kayo

So pumped to see a Massive Attack listener on these boards!

1 Like

pre/dac is a pure NOS, filterless, Metrum Acoustics Adagio so I’m x2 upsampling everything
added Headroom Adjustment a few months ago after spotting an intermittent “red light” whilst streaming one album from Qobuz. doesn’t look to be necessary with any album other than that one but… leaving it in place nonetheless

2 Likes

My new signal path, having calibrated and enabled convolution room correction. No doubt about it, a subtle but worthwhile improvement. Core is a NUC 7i5 with Rock.

1 Like

Aren’t we all Massive Attack listeners? Excellent band, one of my favourites! I had a run through Mezzanine yesterday.

3 Likes

Turn it up loud … and dwell in that base line!

3 Likes

Favorite
P_AIR

Alternative
P_RAAT
P_iFi

Short and sweet

For headphone listening with HD-650

1 Like

Good lord. :laughing:

Ha ha… most of the time, all DSP is disabled.

For headphone listening, I am having fun playing around with the convolution filters and cross feed.

1 Like

Mainly I went to Reaper to have broader capabilities beyond just FIR filters, and to utilize the very good support for Pro interfaces on the Mac platform. Also I had a Macbook Pro my son broke the screen on just lying around doing nothing.

I find it funny that the same people who would never use DSP will roll tubes in their preamps.

1 Like

Apples and oranges?

I find it curious that I’m OCD about a “lossless” path, but then fine about adding DSP. But room correction can be analog: adding curtains and plants, or digital: DSP. Is one better than the other?