Showing off your DESKTOP Roon setup

There some really fine music displayed on that beautiful monitor.

5 Likes

Thank you.

What you see here (in Roon) is a combination of many old faves, some diving into nostalgia and recent discoveries whilst listening to Radio Paradise. For me, the #1 killer feature of Roon is listening to RP and being able to click on the artist/album being played (now the links now appear to be properly fixed) and discovering more about them and then adding the album to my collection (via Qobuz).

The monitor is great. Itā€™s a Samsung 34" CF791 that I treated myself to back in 2018 when I started working from home full time. I needed lots of pixels for handling multiple windows for my job plus it has decent default calibration for working on photos in lightroom (hobby). The curvature of the screen is nowhere near as pronounced as it appears in the photo but the curvature definitely works well on a widescreen of this size. The screen is bolted to the wall and now raised to itā€™s maximum possible height with a 2mm gap to the top of the speakers which I bought 2 years later. So itā€™s all a tight fit.

1 Like

I would post some pictures of my man cave set up but itā€™s not exactly a desktop set up since I have a full stereo system in the room, the sound of which comes fairly close to that of my main audio system. And of course itā€™s based on a Benchmark DAC3 HGC so headphones are also in play.

by the way, the more Richard Thompson the better. :wink:

2 Likes

Added a wee bit of bass reinforcement and a new streamer

12 Likes

IMG_1099
IMG_1100
My Denon amp, which I bought over 20 years ago, works great with the Bluesound streamer and a pair of Mirage bookself speakers. ROON ROCK is on the NUC connected to the router and ethernet switch. But the big deal for my home/office has been the acquisition of Elon Muskā€™s Starlink internet service. I live in a rural area and struggled with DSL with a download speed of 5mbps and upload of 300kbps. Now have download speeds of 150mbps and upload of 12mbps. Streaming music in now dropout free but I can no longer blame the internet for not be able to attend a virtual meeting when working from homeā€¦and yes, I am going bald

8 Likes

First love the Blue Note artā€¦originals?

Second Sooooooo jealous of you getting Starlink. Iā€™ve been on the ā€œbetaā€ waitlist for over a year. Iā€™d gladly give them 10X the monthly fee if they would just send me a dish. Time for my area keeps moving in 6 month blocks into the future every time I check. Good for you. I bet you are loving your digital life circa 2004. My prior house was 1997-2002 and I had cable broadband from day 1. Having it and losing it is wore then never having it. Everyone that moves into our neighborhood has the very first same conversation. ā€œwhat do you do for Internet, I never figured I had to check that when I movedā€.

1 Like

This is a great thread. I often think of what a desk top system would be like. I have a specific room for it. Often thought of posting a photo and asking the Community to offer their recommendations.

1 Like

Never had a subwoofer before. Marvellous addition even though I havenā€™t had the system loud yet!
Second hand is good enough.

2 Likes

You need to try a ā€œsubā€ with your main system. Iā€™ve been using them for many years, you need to spend some time (a lot) integrating them but once set-up the overall improvement is remarkable.

1 Like

D.I.V.O.R.C.E. Billy Connolly D.I.V.O.R.C.E. - Google Search

1 Like

It was the same for me. Never used a sub, then added one to run with my Kef LSX in my office. Itā€™s a massive improvement. And you should definitely try turning it up. Youā€™ll be surprised at what you can get to rattle when you crank it up :slight_smile:

1 Like

My ā€œmistookā€ you need a sub & divorce (insist on keeping the pets, when it gets tough concede, you then get House, hifi & sub & wife gets the pets) :grin:

No pets, so need another cunning plan Baldrick.

2 Likes

Offspring :thinking:

1 Like

What sub do you use with your office LSX? I was thinking of adding one as well.

As @ged_hickman1 mentioned, itā€™s the Arendal 1961 1S. Iā€™ve been impressed so far.

I have updated my setup recently and old one was definitely poorer but I miss the small subwoofer I got before

You are all enablersā€¦and I appreciate it. Last year I was looking for an all-in-one box for the office and the Roon crew solved my problem with a Lyngdorf 1120. I even bought it from a member that owns an audio business.

Recently in this thread I saw a shot of a cool curved monitor that seemed larger than Life, time to get out the credit card. Done. Several of the system shots have showed BDI furniture, got to have one of those. Check.

• Roon Rock on 8th gen i7 Nuc
  • DLink switches throughout 3 floors of the house
  • Cat5 to Lyngdorf 1120 in the BDI cabinet
  • Wharfdale EVO 4.1 on NorStone stands
  • 10" Fire HD as remote, wireless for Roon only when on customers VPNs
  • Fake vinyl record mouse pad

16 Likes

Itā€™s not the music, even without the music I sometimes lack the ability to pay attentionā€¦ Oh look! Something shiny! :crazy_face:

2 Likes