Showing off your DESKTOP Roon setup

I have been thinking of a setup like that, with speakers on a cabinet facing into the room, facing my desk.

Question: does the large monitor negatively affect the sound from the speakers behind it?

I was concerned about that too. Originally, I went from dual 24" monitors side by side to stacked top/bottom for that very reason. I made sure from my normal typing position I could visually see both speakers and they were more or less aimed at me.

I didnā€™t notice any issues and really liked the setup. NOTE that the Lyngdorf has Room Perfect room correctionsā€¦so perhaps that is part of the secret sauce.

When I got the larger curved monitor I tried to do my best before and after test, but memory is only so good after pulling wires and switching mounts. Still no issues I noticed. My limited understanding of sound waves would lead me to guess that bass and itā€™s larger waves would be impacted more, but there is plenty. The highs are fine and when I move my head side to side or up above the monitor I donā€™t notice any difference. In a perfect world there would be nothing between me and he music, but I have a different space for that.

If it is a compromise, and it probably is to some degree, I donā€™t mind it. Wharfedale/Lyngdorf combo is a nice step up over the previous SONOS Play One stereo pair. So is the BDI cabinet.

Note since that picture Iā€™ve shifted the monitor stand to the right, articulated the monitor further back and left. Then opened the space between the main monitor and the vertical 24" one on the right. If I sit back in my chair to think (listen) I can clearly see both speakers fully.

Blocked or not the additional space is better than anything I had actually sitting on the desk in nearfield.

Good luck with your quest.

Thanks for that! Very helpful.

Itā€™s indeed a nearfield setup which I have now and with which I am unhappy ā€¦ KEF LSX sitting on the corners of my computer desk (desk is in the centre of the room adjacent a window). I find the nearfield speaker arrangement claustrophobic, visually and acoustically.

1 Like

LSX was on my short list. Iā€™m so glad I turned my roomā€¦er, my arrangement 90 degrees and got the speakers off the desk and onto some stands. One or two days a week form home was not bad but now Iā€™m in this room 50+ hours a week. Probably the room I listen to music in the most.

Iā€™m super happy with the Lyngdorf (Room Perfect) and passive speakersā€¦though I totally see the appeal of actives for simplicity.

My desk is a mess I know but I have been known to listen to Roon via the Bose PC speakers (when listening to the cricket), The Focal Clear headphones via the SMSL thingummy and RPi4 running Ropieee (when Iā€™m listening to music), or even via the Jabra headset thatā€™s bluetooth connected to the Microsoft Surface tablet (when Iā€™m supposed to be working and donā€™t want to miss incoming Teams calls)

It works for me - OK? :smiley:

8 Likes

Great cubby. I worked from home also, although long before Zoom etc.
A good separate work environment is even more important there.

2 Likes

OMG, youā€™ll have the ethernet cable aficionados reeling! :grin:

5 Likes

Well, here is my setup - not of the highest ā€œhi-fiā€ caliber, but will do for now.

14 Likes

I imagine that must be quite loud from that close.
I had two Play 5s in my conservatory and they sounded great but too loud from 8 feet away for the room. I ended up selling them and buying two play 1ā€™s which worked a treat (and are still there about 6 years later).
They were 1st gen models and the bass did not kick in properly for some time and then BOOM.
I am guessing that they have that much tighter now.

They look very good on the desk.

You know you can turn them down right?

3 Likes

I had heard that, butā€¦ā€¦ :crazy_face:

Here is mine!!

12 Likes

Way too neat :smiley:

3 Likes

Very Messy desktop but I love my Naim Unit Atom and LS50 Meta (Space Mouse via rooExtend is also awesome)

4 Likes

Nice set up! I use an M1 Mac Mini in my Office for Roon, how do you like that new Studio Mini? Looks like it certainly fits right in!

Also, I see two of those stand alone Volume controlsā€¦do they work with your Studio Mini? I love to get one for my main systemā€¦

The Mac Studio is my everyday work computer so I used it as Roon remote. My Roon Core is in a NUC 10i7FNHN running Roon ROCK. Those dials are the controls for my pair of BenQ ScreenBar Halo lights placed on top of each Apple Studio Display.

1 Like

Roon is just one of the 57 apps I have in my Mac Studio. Itā€™s NOT a Roon Remote only, that would be stupid to say the less. Like I said, my Mac Studio is my work computer which I also use as Roon remote to listen to music while working.

1 Like

Jim the occasional emoticon can help avoid misunderstandings :wink:

1 Like

Unfortunately some humour and the like still does not translate well on a forum type arena.
Now if we were all down the pub it would be a different matteršŸ˜

2 Likes

Book me in for the pub :+1:t3::beer:

There I go, off topic againā€¦.:grin:

1 Like