Showing off your DESKTOP Roon setup

According to recent research we are all performing worse because of our rigs.

It confirms my view of a particularly pernicious genre :smiley::smiley:

“responses were inhibited irrespective of the volume level when hearing jazz”

2 Likes

I can make these default on HQPlayer OS image. Now it ships with the default values from Merging.

On HQPlayer OS, it is hooked to the bridge interface “br0”. Not sure if this could be causing some trouble, but it is only way to have this plug-and-play without having to touch network configurations on any hardware.

If you have things like WiFi on the network, you will certainly want to right-click when doing connection and tell it to make an unicast connection. This way it is not banging the audio to the whole network as multicast messages which can make the entire network stall, for example if you have some 100 Mbps devices.

1 Like

Who is this poster? Does anyone know?

1 Like

@jussi_laako thank you so much for your feedback! :smiley:
FYI screenshot the tic_frame_size_at_1fs was 192. Circled areas were the playout delay of DSD256 and related frame counts. Tried higher (up to 1024) and lower (down to 48) numbers. I personally thought 192 was the best choice IMHO.

What an awful study :slight_smile:

The subjects wore headphones that emitted a different sound in each ear.

The participants were required to push a button each time they detected auditory stimuli in their left ear, while simple sounds or a jazz piano tune were played in the right ear.

Although playing simple sounds in the right ear had little effect on the results, responses were inhibited irrespective of the volume level when hearing jazz. This led to a slight delay in the time the button was pressed.

And from this they conclude that “Listening to music while driving, studying or going about other tasks that require attention can result in lowered concentration and efficiency, even if it is not played loud." How did they come to that conclusion? Clearly hearing something in one ear will impact the ability to discriminate with the other, and I suspect that other genres would have much the same effect, but how can they go on from that to talk about driving, studying and other tasks? I’m currently typing, with music in both ears, and I’m pretty sure it’s a task I can manage just as well with no music playing.

At the end of the article:

According to the team, the outcome likely is due to the fact that the music diverted the subjects’ attention from the button-pushing sound.

No s***, Sherlock :smiley:

Sorry, felt the need to rant.

4 Likes

I only posted for the comic effect. Your rage return also made me smile.

3 Likes

I know, and I’m not sure why it wound me up, other than that it’s been one of those days :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well having let off steam, listen to either something light and pastoral or something heavy and thrash.

I believe you are a photographer, you could post something here to share and forget about psychoacoustics…

RoonShareImage-637810718096281060

Purely for pleasure these days (it didn’t pay enough of the bills), but I’ll definitely post something. Don’t know how I missed that thread :slight_smile:

1 Like

You missed it because I only started it a few days ago, i decided I needed a distraction from psychoacoustic affairs, as well as MQA, cables costing £1000’s & snake oil.
Your pics will be most welcome, I’m fed up of mine :grin:

2 Likes

It seems to me I finally found the setup to enjoy music while working

A couple of second hand CleverAudio 1005036 active monitors connected to a SqueezeBox Touch. I am using it native, no DAC connected. Despite having already used like this I understand this place and motivation does not need that investment. I do not think final result would worth it.

This Clever Audio I own now are much better than Logitech Pc Speakers I used to use

About costs, Squeezebox Touch is only available 2nd hand but around 180 eur and the monitors were bought per 45 eur, give or take.

6 Likes

Meridian MS200 (Streamer not shown, resides in media closet rack)
Meridian AC400 (Desktop Controller)
Meridian DSP33 (Digital DSP Speakers)
MacMini M1(remote)
Technics SL1200MKII (Static Display)
Monoprice Dark Matter 34 (Monitor)

9 Likes

Just basic stuff :wink:

7 Likes

Pretty simple Roon setup at my workdesk. Chord Poly and Mojo with MrSpeakers Æon Closed headphones there right in the middle. The weight on top is just for keeping DAC and streamer from moving around…

12 Likes

Love the turntable mat :grinning:

2 Likes

for scale, what size is that monitor?

The monitor is 34 inches wide.

quite a desktop.

2 Likes

Home office / man cave
RME ADI-2 DAC fs
Volumio pi (& external PSU) with Allo SPDIF HAT.
Audioengine 2+
Meze Empyrean

The Pi is not setup as Roon endpoint at the moment but instead used for listening to radio whilst I’m working during the day without having to fire up the main 12 core home rig under desk.

I do really like the Audioengine 2+ speakers. I bought my son a pair to take to university many years ago and eventually bought myself a pair, mainly due to space constraints. Sure they have a bit of a bass hump that can become pronounced if played loud but at modest volumes, I find them detailed and musical with an engaging presence and charm about them. For sure, I’d get a pair of LSX if I had space but (as you can see) I don’t…

I’m absolutely delighted with the RME, it’s an astonishing bit of kit and suits my needs perfectly.

11 Likes