Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I was at an outside gig last week and after the show we went to congratulate the sound engineer for such a beautiful clear sound, it was perfect.

2 Likes

Another non sequitur, Chris?

Indeedā€¦ But it can sound amazingā€¦ itā€™s possibleā€¦

1 Like

DIY Cat 5e cable!!! I still use the pair I made back in 2002! I also still have the box of Cat5e with the leftover cable - I should put it on the garage sale pile.

Iā€™m currently trying to reverse engineer the Auditorium 23 cable, because I need a longer run to try diagonal speaker placement. I know: I could just use cheap speaker wire to test placement. Iā€™m OCD like thatā€¦

Klipsch is what got me into this hobby. I used to dream of the KHorns. My current home is the first place Iā€™ve lived in that might accommodate them, but I already made my speaker exit-strategy purchase. I remember sitting in the auditorium where my psychology 101 class was taught: they had a pair of La Scalas hanging from the ceiling, and I could never pay attention to the lecture, because I could only stare at and dream about those speakers.

Enjoy!

Where do you live, and can I come round?! And pray tell about the Klipsch mods. I was rather taken with the Heresy 3 and particularly the Forte 3 when I reviewed them.

1 Like

New toys in the house: MiniDSP DDRC-24 and a MiniDSP UMIK-1.

Did a quick first measurement and Iā€™m happy with the result.

Will play some more in the weekend. :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I dig the knobs and switches.

Ainā€™t shiny stuff great?:laughing:

2 Likes

I have tried many cables and I always come back to the DIY CAT5e and some old Kimber 8tc. I have always had better than average gear since junior high school. It started with my much older brother who purchased high quality pressings in the 60ā€™s while living in Germany. He played them a few times and put then on high speed reel to reel. He went to college and left the vinyl at home. I played a few original issue Beatles albums on a antique mono rig with a ceramic stylus. Rather than beating me he made me spend my paper route money on a Technics and Bose system. Tube amps and horn speakers followed later in life when a hifi store owner asked me to replace the veneer on a pair of Cornwalls. I joined the Klipsch forum and found some people with great ideas a willingness to share their knowledge. Sorry for the ramble.

I live in northeastern US. You are welcome to pop around anytime.

The Khorns and the Cornwalls have crossovers by ALK Engineering http://www.alkeng.com/. They both also have wood DIY tractrix midrange horns and titanium tweeters installed

A good friend is a Klipsch dealer and I have heard all the new heritage line except the Khorn. These were all driven by very high end, nicely matched gear. I do like some of the modern Klipsch drivers but I have mine just right and I am very happy with the my kit.

There is one speaker I might sell it all for someday. Check out the Volti Vittora and matching sub at http://voltiaudio.com/. Greg at Volti has also done very nice Klipsch upgrades much like mine at https://www.klipschupgrades.com/

I do need some guidance on an MQA DAC. I have been listening to my Dragonfly Red and comparing it to my Lynx Hilo. The Hilo does not do the final MQA rendering but still sounds great. I think the Dragonfly sounds a bit better than the Hilo on MQA. Non-MQA files are better on the Hilo.

I have ordered the new Dragonfly Cobalt. I wonder what it will sound like. I hope Gordon Rankin can improve on his work again.

I am likely to continue looking for an MQA compatible DAC that will be a good fit. Any suggestions?

Peter

I live in the south west. UK that is, so I guess popping in isnā€™t going to happen :frowning: Thanks for the offer though.

And the links are an interesting read, makes me want to listen more. Particularly those Volti horns

Phil

If the coincidence of you being in London and Classic Album Sundays are doing one of their shows in Bright Corners they use a Klipschorn set up if you fancy a pleasant eveningā€™s listening.

Just got my Raspberry Pi 4, installed with the Buster DietPi and the AMAZING Sabre ES9038Q2M HAT from eBay.
Still an absolutetely stunning piece of budget-fi! (I do have rather costly alternatives, but this does just fine!)

10 Likes

My current desk setup.

Just got the RME ADI-2 Dac and itā€™s beautiful.

The speakers are Ruark MR1 MK2 which are amazing desktop speakers.

I also took delivery of a MiniDSP UMIK-1 to have a go at some room correction on my main setup and maybe these little things thanks to the guides on here.

Made up :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Been reading this thread from the start and at the time I was living in my old bedroom at my moms whilst I attempted to convert a small industrial building in Birmingham, UK to my home. Itā€™s taken far too long and far too much money but here is my new listening space. Oh, and the space doubles as a headshot photography studio when not listening to Roon.

Since my previous property purchase Iā€™ve become more enamoured with a tiny house/minimalist/reuse/recycle way of thinking and life. Hence lots of second hand furniture being repurposed and vintage Meridian hi-fi. Using a Meridian system - as well as being the best hi-fi Iā€™ve ever had - also has the benefit of not looking at and being tempted by ā€˜upgradesā€™ of amplifier/speaker etc from other makes, just because of how hard it it is to integrate two philosophies.

System:
2012 Mac mini with Roon Core (in a cupboard at the other end of the main space)
Meridian MS600 endpoint
Meridian HD621
Meridian 568.2mm
BK Monolith subwoofer
Meridian M100 speakers

IMG_1456|375x500

17 Likes

Looks great. Iā€™m into the retro look and meridian have a fab sound in my opinion.

1 Like

Just got Ropieee going using two dacs, one to try MQA. Like the screen interface. Sound is good through both dacs. Audioquest a little warmer than the CA.

1 Like

The set up.
Speakers: Dutch and Dutch 8C (Soon to be ROON ready)
ROON Core: Innuos Statement for a while, but no longer due to the lack of ROON ready.

In the future:
Either a Roon core or a high end streamer with AES/EBU output. But i think i want to have ROONā€¦
Power conditioner/regenerator. Ideas ? Class D amps in the speakers.
New power cables. Ideas ?

19 Likes

Hey Peter,

Can you tell me a bit about these Cat 5e speaker cables? Never heard of that before.

https://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html This site discusses the cables in great detail.