Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I bought my old man (dad) a pair of Focal Elear headphones recently, so he can listen late at night without waking anybody up.

We demo’ed the entire Focal range. They all shared the same sense of dynamics (subjectively, to my ears) that I’d not heard with headphones before.

Frequency response is (subjectively, to my ears) very different to what I’ve been used to and enjoying with planar magnetic cans.

But I’m a sucker for great speaker dynamics and the Focal lineup really got my attention. The only other dynamic driver cans I’ve owned before were Sennn HD800S…

So I got myself the sexy and stealth all-black Focal Elex… And now I’m pretty keen on getting the Utopia’s!

Driven here very easily by the little iFi xDSD which is fed DSD256 via @jussi_laako’s incredible HQPlayer software.

8 Likes

Very nice! Have you tried the Focals with the Hugo 2?

1 Like

Nice @dabassgoesboomboom, where’s your stapler? :grin:

2 Likes

Ha, nobody panic, she’s never too far.

9 Likes

I guess you didn’t read the feminist diatribe of the last few days.:laughing:

1 Like

No, on the contrary. Music playback outside sounds usually a whole lot better then indoors. The problem is that there is no room gain and the average way too small audiophile speakers are totally not up to the task.

Cheers Mikael. I haven’t yet but I’ll hook her up tomorrow probably and see/hear how she goes.

1 Like

Sorry, I must disagree with you.

If it sounds better it’s because of the sound engineer.

As I said, all things being equal.

I.e. If your take your setup and move it outdoors and keep the same speakers and speaker geometry, then it will not sound as good as indoors, because there is no reflected sound.

My main point was about reflected sound, rather than whether or not one can have good sound outdoors.

My point is abiut the loudspeakers that are not up to the task. Take some kef ls50’s outside and the will sound like toys, no room gain, no moving area, no power to deliver, it will not sound good. Last weeks I worked for a festival in a forest where I had set up a set of speakers with dual 18"subs, 12"mids and horns and music has never sounded so detailed, so fresh, lush, with perfect imaging. A pair of monitors with 6’5inch woofers sounded dreadfull, no body, no mass, no dynamics, no detail, no imaging and lots of distortion. They where simply not up to the task. Most if not all home audio speakers are not sutable for outdoor playback, they will sound lifeless. It’s not only about the reflection.

This is a setup which may persuade;

(Images by calle_jr@euphonia-audioforum.se)

Oh, theres a YouTube video also:

16 Likes

Few people would enjoy music in an anechoic chamber, no matter what speakers are used.

Yes, because they are indoor speakers and are designed, in part, to take advantage of reflecting surfaces.

Again, you are focusing on how music could sound outdoors.

My original entry point was that a room that is too dead will not sound good.

I know you’re mostly joking, but notice that there is a surface behind the ‘audience’ and the site seems to be surrounding by other buildings, i.e. reflecting surfaces.

1 Like

I would imagine they have run Acourate to get the drivers into better time alignment?

LOL, add some wheels and it’s a portable system. On my phone it looks like there is a trailer hitch on the end already. .:joy::grin:

HEH, is that a lego roof, too?

1 Like

Not sure how the timing is calculated, but the x-over is a Behringer ProDrive DCX2496!
Heres a link to the original article;
https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.euphonia-audioforum.se%2Fforums%2Findex.php%3F%2Fforums%2Ftopic%2F12827-into-the-great-wide-open%2F

1 Like

Just a friendly suggestion, I think you would get better results if you could pull the left speaker further away from the wall…

:laughing:

4 Likes

New SBooster power supply

4 Likes

biglebowski, I like how the carpet ties the room together.

4 Likes

Work in progress. The carpet in front om the speakers did just miss the picture.

Have to get some plants and thinking om a very subtile warm led ramp behind the sideboard with very low lumen.

And maybe fill the bookshelf with more books :laughing:

7 Likes

great looking mid-century credenza.

1 Like