Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I got the 24 blade Swiss Army knife does that count :hugs:

1 Like

When I built my speakers - LinkwitzLab.com LX521’s a few years ago, I had only my units balcony to work on (about 50sqft total but maybe only 2/3 of that as open area) and I wanted to use dowels but couldn’t find a jig to do the holes so I made one. the build log is here for those that are into DIY and Open Baffle speakers. It was quite an effort but I use them still and would never sell them - or their other relatives (Orion, Pluto and LXmini)

2 Likes

Life happened:

15 Likes

Qute. I like it :call_me_hand:t2:

:open_mouth:

tenchars

The last time I saw that room pictured was about a year ago you had Phantoms playing via AirPlay in an attempt to simplify your audio chain.

Still a great looking room. Do the Sonos simplify further, and what do you think of the sound quality?

I love the minimalist look of that.

1 Like

What happened to your eggs?

I was wondering that too. Perhaps they hatched and flew away?

2 Likes

There’s a bit of context in the audiophile-or-not thread:

I sold off the Phantoms. The hardware sounded fine but the software sucked well eh… eggs. The Sonos gear is good enough soundwise – brilliant regarding ergonomics and UX. Throw any source at it and it sticks. I just added a handful of rotary volume knobs around the house for €15 a piece (10% of the price of a Devialet remote – and way more responsive with added functionality (track controls) to boot) for those occasions my Harmony remote and iPhone lock screen are out of reach.

He said, casually managing his zones from his Apple Watch…

2 Likes

but… but… hats?

Link to knob?

1 Like

LOL… Wait for it… :wink:

Also available in black. :slight_smile: Needs this gateway:

Volume works fine when Roon plays to the Play:5’s. Track controls work too – but result in ‘Roon has lost control…’ when pausing. It does continue afterwards though.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that. But Apple Music, Sonos, Bose, Mondeo and IKEA… Hmmm that sounds very troubling. Are you sure you’re alright… Is someone forcing you… No just kidding🙂 great to hear its working for you and you don’t miss the eggs.

2 Likes

Health issues can cause you to rethink most things in your life. Don’t ask me how I know.

3 Likes

The set up is completed. The goal this time was to “keep it simple, yet high end” . I am really happy i made the move into the active world. I was never a strong believer of DSP, filters and what ever in the digital domain… boy oh boy i was so wrong.
This is the " cheapest " yet best sounding set up ive ever had in my living room to date.

Dutch and Dutch 8C
Innuos Server (dac in between - waiting for ROON - then bye bye dac)
PS Audio P15 PowerPlant

Only thing thats left is some nice power cables and some nice ethernet cables :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’m using NRG custom cables with my 8cs. I use the .1 CS. Nawaz will make them in custom lengths. They are very flexible for 7.5 AWG.
nrgcustomcables.ca

Minimalist is fine as long as you don’t have to hide the Sennheisers …

Casual listening is now a Soundbar , serious stuff is headphones

Wifey is not keen on 70s Rock :roll_eyes:

Roon has been very nice to integrate everything. It’s also nice getting all the actual files in one place…

1 Like

Jesting aside – all of the above have a single theme in common: they offer excellent usability for their use goals. Most (if not all) of the highend gear I owned was severely compromised in that respect – and somewhere along the lines I decided I’d had enough.

There’s music under my thumb now in almost every occasion. Apple Music is offering great functionality for maintaining a cloud based library that is accessibly from basically anywhere. The Mondeo fits my 200cm frame very well. The Bose gear offers great comfort and fit while working out and excellent noise cancellation while riding trains and plains. The Play:5 surprised me a bit in being ‘good enough for the living room’, while taking any streaming source with aplomb. The IKEA knob is brilliant and has no alternative that is at least as good.

It’s not about the money, really – I could add anything up to a D&D 8C or Kii3 to the living room without needing to consult wife or bank – but it’s in the way that you use it, to quote two legends with one stone.

And of course, there’s this:

But also this (Idagio for classical):

I’m fine. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

@RBM that is a great point you are making regarding ‘day-to-day’ ease of use and ergonomics. Using Apple Music - airplay 2 and compatible speakers does bring peace :-). Out of curiosity, do you multiroom using airplay 2? If so do you find the sync is stable on the sonos speakers? I remember there were sync issues when I tried this route a few months back.

… and how do you manage to tame the Play 5 bass? The sonos trueplay was actually making it worse in my case. Do you eq them?

Cheers