Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I’d suggest having a look at the ASR review if you haven’t already - Amir uses the HD650 in testing.

But he didn’t comment on how loud it got …

I stand by my claim “the HD6xxs will play using the Magni amp, you just won’t be able to crank them up.” So it all depends on how loud you like your music. A lower impedance headphone will work much better, i.e. play louder and be easier to drive, with the Magni Hersey amp.

In general, high impedance full size headphones sound better with a full size, powerful headphone amp. The good news is that there are plenty of great sounding low impedance headphones available in all price ranges.

Thanks Ralph, very much. I definitely don’t know a lot about impedance, etc. But already learning more. I actually found a forum thread that completely backs up what you say, specifically regarding the HD6xx pairing with the Magni 3.

https://audioasylum.com/forums/head/messages/4998.html

Perhaps I should go for the 58x Jubillee as you suggested. At $150, it wouldn’t have to be the last pair of cans I ever buy.

Not sure if I’d want to buy the Magni if it can’t power a really nice pair of HP that I may eventually want to own. But again, it’s $99 bucks so I guess I could upgrade later.

If this is too off-topic I can start another thread perhaps, but what would be a semi-reasonable priced headphone amp that could drive the HD 6xx or other high impedance 'phones?

Thanks for posting that, dhusky. A lot of it flew over my head :slight_smile: But it is informative and interesting reading.

JDS Atom is cheapest afaik. Drives my Sens 650HD nicely.

Scary! :wink:

10 Likes

I admire your taste, sir! That – and your cabinet is nicer.

I have a bear though… Let’s call it even. :wink:

1 Like

Ok, I can live with that :joy::ok_hand::+1:

Moved things around in my study and have replaced the Dali floor-standing speakers with a pair of Neat Acoustics Momentum SX3i. Very pleased with my latest additions.

Current system is Allo DigiOne, Chord Electronics 2Qute, Arcam A19 and Pro-Ject 1 Expression Carbon UKX. Headphones are Beyerdynamic T5p 2nd generation. All interconnects use Van Damme cables with Neutrik connectors.

The old boy is Archie. :dog:

29 Likes

Oh man! I want one of these!

1 Like

You’re welcome - the main bit I was pointing to was the listening test at the end. As for the numbers, the Schitt Heresy has more than twice as much power into 300 ohms at high gain as the Arcam rHead that I use with the HD650 and that sounds pretty good to me - I certainly don’t lack for volume, even using both Volume Levelling and a -6dB headroom adjustment.

1 Like

Very nice setup Martin! I think it would be very pleasant indeed, to sit and enjoy music, with a visual backdrop of floor to ceiling books.

2 Likes

StereJo… Those are just the right amount of lights, I had to move my speakers too close to each other, just to fit in a tree.

4 Likes

Where did you get that wooden tablet stand? It’s awesome…

1 Like

My son makes and sells them, allong with the headphone stand. Thanks for the compliment i will let him know.

1 Like

I need one too.

My Sub moved over to the dark side…

…so I’m having a white christmas after all:

9 Likes

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, and (my wife has informed me) a few upcoming birthdays to me! Anyway, Happy Holidays everyone and may all your upgrade wishes come true this season.

10 Likes

$15,000 for an amplifier???

Well, technically, two amplifiers. There is another one for the left channel.

3 Likes