Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I’ve got the USBridge Sig in for review at the moment.

I already have the standard USBridge, plus my regular Pro-ject Stream Box S2 Ultra (whose only fault is a name I’ve had to look up yet again!) It’s going to be interesting comparing them all. May take a while.

5 Likes

Thanks Sascha, my research indicated this was the case but good to have it confirmed 100%. It looks like Devialet can be a little slow with their software implementations so I doubt the Reactors will be a viable RAAT option for some time. A pity as the reviews and measurements are excellent!

1 Like

Yep, it’s too bad; the whole Phantom line’s got a bad rep because of software issues and slow development. If they work these things sound fantastic, especially in stereo. I’m hoping for betterment though as DOS2 unifies the product lines from an OS standpoint. This should make developing new features/protocols more efficient.

That all being said I’m currently having zero issues with both stereo pairs :slight_smile:

Greetings Phil.

I seem to remember you saying you would try to get an Elac DDP-2 to test.

What happened?

The first one, or the second? I must have missed some changes to your system. Are you using the USBridge to connect Roon to the USB input on your 140 instead of springing for a the CI upgrade?

received mine a few hours ago. it replaces a DigiOne (non-Signature) in my secondary system(*)
setup (with RoPiee) was a breeze and it is playing beautifully indeed :slight_smile:
not a single glitch with DSD up to 256 (have no 512 to try)

not selling the Lumin U1 Mini in my main system
(… but not going to test it against the USBridge Sig :stuck_out_tongue: )

(*) Chord Qutest, RWA Signature 15, Klipsch RM-15

Sorry, I meant the USBridge Signature that is powered by the Shanti LPS. And yes, it‘s USB into my Devialet Expert 120. Sweet sound indeed, although I inserted a short wireless bridge with an old AirPort Extreme/Express that I had lying around. Removed the last bit of edginess.

Upgrading my Expert 120 to Pro is still hanging. It‘s quite expensive (around 4.5 K Euros) and I don‘t really need the RAAT upgrade. But I do hear the amp is extraordinary. Need to think about it.

I do like the system as it is now. Near perfect!

The decision to sell the Aurender was an easy one for me, as I never quite liked the Aurender‘s darkish and muddled sound. And realising I get a much more detailed sound with a small box costing a fraction of an Aurender, there was nothing holding me back.

Had I had a Lumin, I might not have sold it. I don‘t know the Lumins, but they seem to be very good reading the reviews.

1 Like

Have you compared Roon via Ethernet/Devialet AIR to your 120 vs. using the USBridge?

No, I have not. Since my Mac Mini had been upgraded to OS Catalina, the Air app just doesn’t work anymore. So, no, up to now, no comparison.

But, I got hold of my daughter’s Macbook Air that still runs under OS Sierra and there it worked. Will try tomorrow to get Devailet’s Air back up to work again and report back.

Paul, I believe Roon supports Devialet AIR directly, so there’s no need to install the driver on a Mac - which as you say, doesn’t work with Catalina anyway.

Anyway, sorry to derail the show and tell thread… I’ll drop out again.

Thanks for the tip, Mike, will try!

I did discuss it but it didn’t happen unfortunately. The list of gear coming in can be quite fluid and fickle at times, initial entusiasm doesn’t always translate into a review.

1 Like

McIntosh MA9000 integrated amplifier, MCT500 SACD transport, Roon on NUC, Auralic Aries G2, Denafrips Terminator. Golden Ear Triton One.R

9 Likes

I don‘t know what I like more - the set-up or the stunning view… Lovely!

1 Like

Thank you Stefan :+1:
Have you also seen the later pics in the posts No. 2745 and No. 2746 from July 2019 as well?
I like that one even more :sunglasses:

1 Like

Probably my next upgrade. You like?

How’s that hard tile floor for reflections?

The room is very hard. Tiled floors, 20 x 40 ft room with 22 ft tray ceiling.

The Triton One.R are better than their predecessor (Paradigm Studio towers which I gave to my son, but the most audible difference to the system was the Denafrips Terminator.)

There are so many options in speaker design. I would have liked to have heard electrostatic (or ribbon) as well as horn speakers. The One.R were well bought and the price, I see, has increased.

Kind of a lukewarm recommendation. :laughing:

Hmm, a rug might help the hardness of the room, unless that’s what you want.

Dunno.

Rugs and curtains would help. That said, I like the room as it is and do not want to modify solely to improve sound.

I do not think that any speaker would get unqualified endorsement from me since each good speaker has a quality I like and qualities which I do not. The Triton One.R are, as you know, very highly reviewed and S. Gross has a long history of skilled design. I only recall one pair of speakers, decades ago, Acoustat, that were, to me at that time, amazing. I did not have that response to the Infinity QLS, Dahlquist DQ-10 etc.

So I am afraid I am a poor source for a strong recommendation. Also, I was out of hi-fi for ~15+ years as the kids were growing up. During that time, I was creating a home theater largely as a family gathering place.

When I returned to stereo, I did so very unskillfully. I began with an excellent deal on the electronics, did not buy speakers for a year. Did not at all like the way CDs have sounded since their inception. Assembled a NUC, bought a DAC, bought a streamer.

I can say that with the best (available to me) media, the Triton One.R are very good. They also reveal what is wrong with the media to which I am listening.

I mentioned in another post that I am deeply indebted to a Community member who recommended several of my purchase and an impending purchase.

2 Likes