Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Wow! Listening to great music with that view must be marvelous.

1 Like

My very small system. ROON server and NAS are in the technology cabinet.

8 Likes

Nice set-up. How is the Atom performing? In your opinion, is that 2x40W enough power for a moderate volume?

I use the Atom with floorstanders and my neighbours would attest to them going beyond moderate.

All the gubbins replaced with

9 Likes

Yes, the Atom is powerfull enough to drive my Dynaudio Contour S 1.4 LE in my 25qm livingroom.

@ged_hickman1 you a Tangential Tracking Fan too…that an SL-7 I see on top there? I have one too, had it since new :slight_smile:

Its a replacement for the one I had from 1980 that I upgraded to a Sondek at one point. Now I play vinyl so seldom the sl7 isn’t even hooked up.

1 Like

Here we have some LUA main loudspeakers, an old Zeiss Cinema Speaker as Center, for stereo sound I enjoy a DIY tube buffered Streamer (Soekris dam1121 DAC, BeagleBone running Roon Bridge) amplified by LUA Reference No. 6 (KT88 quad 100Watt).

Surround sound system is a Dolby CinemaProcessor, sourced by a Meridian HD621 via 8 Channel QTP over Cat6 cable coming from Roon ROCK via HDMI powering 4 QSC professional amplifiers driving some more LUA loudspeakers.

4 Likes

What’s that perspex roundabout lurking?

:smiley: well, that’s for music made before roon has arisen.

What is missing, is Multichannel LPCM via HDMI out of the ROCK that is also the core of Roon in my network. Apparently these things don’t go together …

Thanks for Letting me know, also to @ged_hickman1 I will definitely give it a try.

Project. Looks similar to my Experience X Pack, but the platter looks thicker. Possibly this?
https://www.project-audio.com/en/product/6perspex-sb/

Why do you say that? I’ve been using my ROCK NUC to deliver multichannel via HDMI to my Denon AVR for years…

1 Like

Yes, that’s a Pro-Ject PerspeX 6 Version 1

I have to take back what I said.

What I want and meant is the following:

Channel mapping from stereo content to the surround speakers:

Left -> Left Surround & Left Rear
R -> RS & RR
Same content on L&R-> Center

Or something like Trifield (Meridan)

I recognize the ‚Pharmakologie Und Toxikologie‘ in your bookshelf :grinning: Used to be quite handy for me.

1 Like

With the great help of @Geoff_Coupe I managed to establish channel mapping from Left and Right to all 7.1 surround channels. Simply via dsp Settings in roon, Procedural EQ, Mixing. Now there is stereo to 7.1 Multichannel mapping with HDMI out of ROCK.

That’s it. Thank you very much!

I’ve been working on my Audio Video entertainment system since the late 70’s, had a lot of good (at the time) equipment, and it took up a lot of space. It’s been a long and expensive journey with huge wall units, big stereo speakers, big reel to reel tape machines, cassette players, video players, Amps, Preamps, Equalizers, FM tuners, Turntables, RCA cables and speaker wire running everywhere, and 25-30 inch box TV’s, etc. etc… Hard to remember it all.

Now, as we head into the retirement years and downsizing, it has all been reduced to a 65 inch picture hanging on the wall, a receiver, disc player, cable box, media player, speakers, a good network setup, and a 4” by 4” computer that fits in the palm of your hand and can seemingly access all the music the world has to offer. The AV/Network systems takes up a quarter of the space, has less interconnecting cables, more networking cables, costs at least twice as much, and sounds so much better. At least to me.

I miss the old days of running the wires across the floor, connecting the speakers, and playing some music. The last (??) upgrade, to complete the 7.2.4 surround system setup, was adding/replacing small height speakers I got for Christmas. Took most of a day to install/configure height speakers up near the vaulted ceiling in the living room. The area was pre-wired last year. Took an hour to go through the Denon 8500H speaker configuration setup to verify the location for 11 speakers, verify wiring phase, and volume balance 2 subs. The receiver displays the configuration on the TV and highlights each speaker/sub location, sends a test signal to that location, and you have to respond that the sound is coming from that speaker or sub. Then another hour to run the Audyssey speaker calibration process to set a mic up in 8 seating locations while it tests each speaker and sub at each location. What an ordeal just to add/replace 2 speakers, 104 Audyssey calibration tests plus the 13 receiver speaker/sub configuration tests. But the results are worth the effort.

I played some tracks to see how it sounds. The Denon Dolby Surround Processor does a pretty good job of redirecting 2 channel sounds from the Nuc. One track, chill music, has ocean waves crashing and bird sounds among others. Don’t know how the receiver does it but the waves were crashing in the subs and lower level speakers while the bird sounds were flying around the ceiling. Pretty damn cool.

Cheers to the younger generation and enjoy the wonderful selection of equipment and music you have to choose from. If we win the lottery I’ll be right there with you.

2 Likes

Thanks for the wonderful post! Unfortunately I understand what you went through all too well and yes when watching a Blu-ray disc with a really well done multi-channel soundtrack it’s all worth it!

Replaced an ancient Win7 laptop running Foobar2000 last month to go full Roon. I’m having a blast!

So I put together a NUC8i7 16GB 250GB (w/2Tb internal SSD 60% full of flac files, stuck it in an Akasa Turing fanless case, then installed the ROCK. Connected it via Ethernet to my router, and to the DAC via USB. Pretty simple really, but still took several days to work the bugs out. Happy that my wife didn’t complain when I punched a hole through the wall to run the Ethernet conn.

I also just finished an RPI 4, with a HiFiBerry Pro DAC board, and touch screen display. After installing Ropieee, I have a WiFi endpoint for my entertainment room.

Other equipment: Grace m903 for pre-amp volume control, and the DAC in the Grace or an S.M.S.L M8 DAC… Power amp is an NAD C275. Speakers are Revel F208.

I’m looking for a new DAC with MQA. I don’t really want MQA, but TIDAL… I’m on the 5-months/$5 plan for now.

I have a smaller house, so equipment is sharing space in the front living room with my wife’s aesthetics. 2nd older picture is a temporary diagonal setup that I use sometimes when my wife is traveling. It gives, by far the purest sound stage and imaging. The audio show lighting I sometimes use for special listening sessions and photos.

19 Likes