Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

He means the BBC iPlayer - it’s a website and app that lets you listen to the past week or more of programmes - so not live, as available on Roon.

2 Likes

It’s called BBC Sounds now, but loads of BBC Radio and Podcasts are on it as well as Listen Live. Excellent

2 Likes

Thanks, I enjoy looking at everyone’s systems

Thanks. Luxman make great products, very happy with my cd player.

1 Like

When my wife and I got together, she was so kind, to leave a roon, where I could put my hifi and speakers. But she did not like my favorite music. Nor did I like hers. Short after I was renting an office next to the flat, where I had my system and could basically do what I want. Later when we moved into our house/office my company had highest priority, but I could use a part of the attic to place my system. So I can now listen very loud to what I like, no discussions.

Sometimes I have to tell my son, he has to listen somewhere else, it is my turn now.

So I have now my music room under the roof, 10 meters long, 5 meters wide, highest point 4.5 meters. The accoustic is very dry without a lot of tuning.

The digital path consists of an Auralic Aries G1 and an Antelope Zodiac Gold, with external power supply. Roon core is virtualized in the basement, running on one of the servers.

Power amps are the Wyred4Sound SX-1000R. The Apogee Diva Signature Speakers I got for 30 years now. The crossover is heavily modified, but it is very difficult to find a better speaker today.

Turntable is a Platine Verdier, with a custom tone arm and a custom Benz Ruby open air. The developer of Benz Micro used to listen to his prototypes on my system. If I want to listen analog seriously, I have to rewire my system. In this case I use a Mark Levinson No26s as pre amp.

I am not a big fan of having all devices plugged in and powered on, just becuase you might use them now an then.

Powercables are home made. For device interconnects I did do massive studies and had them manufactured to my specs.

I’m really happy with my system. It produces a real hologram of the music. The good thing: good recordings sound great. Bad recordings you can’t listen. You hear every single error or dirty trick the sound engineer did do.

24 Likes

Wunderbar. Prima!

hi @Peter_Bruderer - what amp stands are those?

They are from Soundstyle. I filled them with sand. The original boards were glass. I replaced them with granite boards.

1 Like

I really love these Apogee speakers. I almost bought a pair of second hand Apogees 15 to 20 years ago, but was worried that my mono-blocks at the time wouldn’t be able to drive them safely. I went down the Magnepan route instead.

I had forgotten, but I bought a pair of the same Apogee. Went for a walk and found an abandoned kitten. Took the kitten home and gave it to my daughter. The cat discovered that she could virtually leap across the room and break her fall on the ribbons. For their brief life, I really enjoyed them. The cat was with us for ~17 years. She did not sound as good.

9 Likes

What did you think? And would they be suitable if you couldn’t utilize full sized speakers? I have Monitor Audio Gold References. I’m not looking for a change, but for those people who space conscience? Thanks.

The Divas are real beasts. I had Krell amps, but I did not like them. They sounded slow. Then I had Meitner mono amps, they were much better, but they were not strong enough. The W4S can deliver enough current at 1 Ohm.

Once my Divas die, I probably go Maggie too.

1 Like

My current setup consists mostly of second hand Linn equipment. I had the opportunity to “start again” when we moved to our new home and decided to build an “all-Linn” setup.

While Linn prides itself as a company that provides (constant) upgrade paths for their products, it seems that I have more or less reached the end-state of the system - the last multichannel pre-amp that they offered is the Akurate Kontrol from 2009, which I’m using. To upgrade, I would have to drop the multichannel setup and return to 2.x. (Or, if I would win the lottery, I could build an active multichannel system but that would require a silly amount of money for their active speakers and the digital front end(s)).

Currently most of my listening is with Roon, supported with a Rube Goldberg-like mashup of software, just to allow me to insert Dirac Live room correction in the digital domain. It works but it is a shame that Roon does not allow a more elegant way of inserting VST-plugins to the signal chain…

I’ve also started investing in acoustic treatments, as you can see from the large(ish) acoustic panel on the back wall. I will install micro-perforated acoustic curtains next and behind the curtains I have more acoustic panels hidden from view. Eventually I’m hoping to add a removable panel to the first reflection point from the windows, to be used for more serious listening sessions.

The hardware chain in brief: Linn KRDS/1 ∧ Sondek LP12 ∧ Oppo 105D :arrow_forward: Linn AK/D :arrow_forward: Linn AV5125/D :arrow_forward: Linn A242 ∧ Stax 3170

15 Likes

Who makes the acoustic panel behind the sofa?

2 Likes

Nice rug Pete! I don’t recall ever seeing your setup in ‘the other place’ :slightly_smiling_face:. Decent amp that.

1 Like

Apogees are extremely hard to beat, they don’t sound like Magnepans (in a positive way) and have tons of grunt in the lower end, I mean really they do SLAM. It’s like having an electrostatic but without most of the shortcomings of it. The biggest issue is the maintenance cost…it takes €4k to rebuild only the tweeter and bass panels of the smaller Duetta Signatures. I’m keeping mine until they really start buzzing or break down alltogether.
Man these were PITA to move around too, no easypeasy lightweight that you can lift on your own, there is a whole array of magnets behind the foil and on both sides of the tweeter and midrage! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, they are really heavy. 100 kilos each. To place them is a nightmare. The room behind them must be free. They must be exactly vertical. They don‘t like wooden floors. They must stand on concrete. They must have the exact position to the side walls. 5 millimeter more or less makes a difference. They are real bitches with electronics. Most good poweramps cannot deliver enough current. Or they have too slow impulses. Slow preamps they hate. Speaker cable must be low induction.

But then, when everything is right, they play like angels. You have a real 3d soundstage. Mine is about 7 meters wide and 5 meters deep. The size of the musicians is very realistic.

It is a hate love relation. If a recording is not perfect, they show the errors like with a magnifying glass.

2 Likes

Audionote!

Amazing and congratulations.

1 Like

Great looking, sensible setup. I’m also a huge Josh Ritter fan; in fact, my daughter is at Oberlin College, Josh’s alma mater — though I don’t think that’s why she chose it.:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

The panel is sold by a Finnish company called Innofusor. The design is called “Hiljaiset Puut” and it is made of peat moss. The raw material is sourced from Konto.

4 Likes