Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Hi

It is powered to the Rotel for HCinema with the 2 surround
And front right and left connected to the McIntosh and for Home cinéma in passthrough
And occasionaly i listen Music in 5.1 but i do not know where to find 5.1 Music.
I got Qobuz and i do not know if they have

ah, gotcha. Trying to figure out if it’s worth it to repurpose my Yamaha AV receiver for home theater… but we generally just watch movies without a big home-theater focus.

I love both systems and like to split Music and cinema.
And so far it is my best combination!

Great looking Bryston gear. Their stuff is built to last. Great support too. I needed a new CF card for my BDP, and years after the product model was superseded, they still support it.

1 Like

Your kitchen Atom is my main system :slight_smile:

1 Like

It end up in the kitchen because at first i wanted to use it as a streamer with the McIntosh but i did a beginner mistake not checking if it was possible to use it only as a streamer…
I’ve tried to sold it but no success even if it was more than 50% discount and still under warranty…

1 Like

they pretty much do! no wonder they give you 20 yrs warranty…
I bought them both in 2010.
As third owner of the 4B ST power amp, it needed only 1 service (bias adjust, as one channel overheated) in its 23 yrs of life.
BP20 Pre, I’m the second owner, who never opened it (box and packaging was still sealed!) never needed servicing
(sgrat, sgrat)

1 Like

Nice headphones with interesting stands, along with the equipment stand/rack. Info on the headphone stands and the equipment rack, please. Also what are using for a headphone amp? Thanks!

The headphones stands come from my hifi dealer
He gave them to me…because i was complaining how stands were not cheap…
Hifi rack is a norstone epur « entry level »range. It is crazy as many of racks found on the market can not support both height and depth of gears like the McIntosh or even the rotel RAP 1580.

For the desktop headphone amp, so far i use the one from the Mc intosh and once my Naim Uniti will be sold I am thinking Cayin.
But advices are welcome :pray:
When I travel I use my chord mojo with iPhone.

I just checked and it looks like the headphone output on the McIntosh is first rate and not just an afterthought as headphone outputs all too often are on lots of equipment. As for the Cayin, I’m not a tube guy so I can’t say one way or the other.

I just picked up a Benchmark DAC3 HCG and I am very impressed with how it sounds and how easily it drives even high impedance headphones. Plus it has a very good pre amp section. I would also recommend looking at the Mytek Brooklyn Bridge DAC/headphone amp/pre amp/Roon Ready streamer - an all in one killer of a unit. I would have picked this up instead of the Benchmark but since I already had a Roon endpoint I could not justify the extra money.

Thanks for the feed back! The mytek Brooklyn could be the all around I am looking for it is a fact. I ve read and heard only positive!!!
I said cayin because I’m curious with tube as I never have one at home and I tried few ones at hifi show in France and like how they sound.
But to be honest, I like to think both Dac and headphone in the Mcintosh are great and I wonder if it worth spending € or $ to get let’s say a marginal gain compared to the money spent. But I m saying this because I do not have the money from my Atom yet :wink:

I was really close to buy your dac3 on my former system to get along with my rotel 1592.
I listened to it and was very impressed, but the discount was too far from my expectations…

Here’s my Music Room One setup:

• Preamp: Lamm L2 Reference;
  • Power amp: Lamm M 1.2 Reference mono blocks;
  • DAC: Playback Designs MPD-8;
  • Streamer: Playback Designs Stream-IF (P-Link connection);
  • Server (running Rock): Intel BOXNUC7I3BNH 1356 2.40GHz i3-7100U;
  • Ethernet Card (via M2 to PCI adapter): JCat NET CARD FEMTO;
  • PSU (for NUC, JCat Ethernet card, Playback Designs Stream-IF): HDPLEX 200W Linear Power Supply;
  • Speakers: Vivid Audio Kaya 90;
  • Signal cables (analog): Neutral Cable Reference;
  • Signal cables (digital): Audioquest Vodka (Ethernet), Neutral Cable Reference USB;
  • Speaker cables: Audioquest Aspen;
  • Turntable: Kuzma Stabi Ref 2 + 4Point tonearm;
  • Phono cartridge: Lyra Titan i;
  • Phono preamp: Allnic H-1201;
  • Power: Audioquest Niagara 5000;
  • Passive audio treatment: Astri Audio.
26 Likes

Hi…looks like nobody has picked up on your comment that the farad super 3 LPS made a big difference.

Im going to pick one up to compare against my sotm sps-500. Im not going to get DC cable upgrade just yet, that will be next if I want to keep it. What made you select the level 2 silver over the copper may I ask?

I would get a pair of Dali Epicon 8’s. https://www.dali-speakers.com/products/epicon/

They are gorgeous looking and sound amazing !

I am using an MBL 8010 amp (pretty Old amp !) and MBL 5010 Pre amp.

Also a Cocktail AudioX45 Hi Res Audio Player and DAC.

Your setup looks sharp anyway !

If I’m being honest it was simply to avoid the inevitable “itch” to upgrade to it later. Going incrementally with Rhodium IEC socket, SR Orange Fuse then Silver Cable would have let you appreciate and to a certain extent, quantify the benefit of each upgrade. However starting at the top is probably more cost effective if you know yourself well enough to know that you’d end up trying all the options anyway. I’ve had a positive experience of SR Blue fuses in other components and fitted a Rhodium IEC to my Oppo UDP-205. However what the improvement is to a baseline Super3 I don’t know.

1 Like

Thanks for the information Ian.

I had just ordered one with a orange fuse but didnt opt for the fututech IEC

Hmmm now im thinking should I just add the IEC and just get the cable now lol? So you have a preference of silver for your DC? Have you compared silver with copper in DCs before? You dont find it bright at all?

Cheers
Bill

For the Farad Super3, I was able to try all the same options but in my system the Level 2 Silver DC cable was a little to harsh and went for the Level 2 Copper version. Not because the Siver version is some more expensive but I appreciate the sound of the Copper version more (in my system).
I bought the same configuration but with Level 2 Copper DC cable plus the AC version as well (power cable).

1 Like

When I had a Keces P8 PSU and also an UpTone LPS-1.2 PSU I used Ghent Audio DC cables (https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/list-dc.html). They were very good and had Oyaide connectors but I think copper conductor cable. I have historically found silver too “bright” in interconnects or speaker cable and mainly stick to silver (or rhodium) plated copper these days.

However the person behind Farad is Mattijs de Vries who founded Pink Faun and certainly seems to know his onions. So if in his opinion, this cable made a positive difference to his PSU, then I took that at face value. If you ferret about a bit you can find some comparative reviews of the Farad Super3, this one is Dutch so you may need Google Translate:

I have to say its made a positive and noticeable difference to the Hugo M Scaler and I do wish I’d tried one on my TT 2 but I’d already made the jump to DAVE before acquiring the PSU.

Nick Bacon, of Wave High Fidelity has been testing a replacement PSU for the DAVE made by Dr Sean Jacobs who designs PSUs for Innuos. You do need to replace the internal SMPS but no cutting or soldering is required and according to Nick it makes a dramatic difference.

In my long (and expensive) time of squandering money on Hi-Fi bits and pieces I have found that decent power supplies have consistently made a big improvement. Makes sense really when the active thing inside a Hi-Fi component is low voltage electricity, I doubt Usain Bolt would run very well if he had blood poisoning.

2 Likes

Do you have an analytical sounding system Jeff? I wouldnt say I have, thats why I was thinking the silver DC might be good for my system, however I do try and be as neutral as possible so the copper maybe best

I think the only way I would know what I like is to buy one of each and try them lol

Thanks for your input Ian. Being that you have a Chord DAVE I would have thought copper would have been the better, bearing in mind that its a very analytical DAC…funny how things actually work out though in the real world.

Mattijs has already dispatched mine and will be with my by Friday!!! I was too late to add cables …I shouldnt complain :slight_smile:

1 Like