Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Hi there Bill,

Difficult to answer your question or my system is analytical, some of the componenten are but the sum is just fine for me. I can show you an overview of my set and up to you or this is analytical or not.

Equipment:
Dan D’Agostino Progression Pre and Main
dCS Rossini Player and Clock
Magico M2 with MPods
Transparent Power Cords and Interlinks
Transparent Reference Power Isolator
Crystal Cable speaker cables
Roon Nucleus Plus with 4TB SSD
Silent Angel Bonn N8 switches

as I am living in The Netherlands it was easy to pick it up from Mattijs and tested all individual options.

Very very nice indeed. I know they are great components etc. I wouldn’t Know together how they would all come across as…I would guess precision being the word that springs to mind.

I myself aren’t in that league however I feel it’s still a great combo

Antipodes CX/EX Solution Server/Renderer 4tb ssd (Roon & HQPLAYER)
Aqua La Scala Mk2 Optologic DAC
Brystron SP3 pre amp Processor
Anthem Power
Sotm shh-10g switch with internal upgrade
Sotm sps-500 psu
HiDiamond 3 power chords
HiDiamond 7rca (DAC >pre amp)
HiDiamond USB1 (EX>DAC)
Sotm Cat 7 Ethernet (Switch>CX)
KEF Reference 1 Speakers

I would probably put mine in the organic/analogue sounding corner. Perhaps The worst part of silver wouldn’t be obvious here but who knows. I think I may try both if Mattijs agrees.

Yes certainly helps living in Holland :blush:

That’s a very nice setup as well.
If you are gone test your Farad power supply in comparison to your actual one please let us know or there are any differences for you and what those differences are?
Same goes for both different DC cables, please let us know your results as a lot of people don’t believe there can be differences by using a different (improved) power supply.

Looking forward Bill :smiley:

1 Like

Have the same speaker since 20 years…with additional bassaligment filter for 6th order reflex system. Bass response is outstanding, deep and clear. Just recently I replaced them with Manger S1 active speaker. More precise mid and treble but not the same bass.

No problem Jeff

Where you say Switches, you use more than the one? I know a lot of people also recommend two SOtM switches too. I may venture down that road however there are very good reports of adding the Uptone etherREGEN to the SOtM

Sony DMP-Z1 used as DAC
USB-C to Apple Mac Pro running Windows 10 Pro Workstation via Parallels Desktop
ethernet to Roon Nucleus + (back of Sony)
Roon Nucleus + running off a rechargeable battery pack rated to 20V and 4.5A

Sony can only go up to a native DSD256 losslessly.
With DSD512:

Listening today on a Sony IER-Z1R using balanced wiring.

9 Likes

Where the cable connection arrives at my house, there is the modem/router. Here I also connected the Silent Angel Bonn N8 switch. At the same spot also my huge NAS is located with 64 TB storage. Just music :joy:
OK, admitted in RAID configuration.

From here an AudioQuest Carbon of 18 meters length with Telegartner connectors at both sides. Under my house in an isolated tube to my living room where the set is located. Strange but true, direct in the dCS Rossini Player DAC the result was less as putting a switch in between. From here with an AudioQuest Diamond to the dCS was a better result. Also here a Silent Angel Bonn N8.

Was the first mentioned N8 a must? Not that big improvement here (I have to admit) but the N8 near the set was a huge step forward.

The test here with UTP cables here was a great experience. All kind of cables were here for this test. All 20 meters long, even optical ones with converters at both ends. Is there a difference? Huge differences I can say.
Different topic, sorry :neutral_face:

1 Like

How are the IER Z1R?

They sound great with strong bass and wide imaging but it will depend on how they wear on you as they are like 3 times heavier than the Shure 1200 and twice as heavy as the Audeze LCD-i4. (not literal)

Wow man, you’ve got your sh*t locked down :blush:

Yeah different topic but I don’t leave my judgement purely in the science book. I will give most things a go before casting judgement.

loved the display, I would get one just for Roon :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I’ve been quite lucky that all IEMs have fitted me quite well up to now. A few people have mentioned about the fit being an issue though.

Are they Nagra isolation stands under your Sony/Nucleus? If so, have you had/got any Nagra gear?

I have a Cyrus Audio system setup running B&W 702 S2 speakers. For the Roon endpoint I have a Raspberry Pi running DietPi with an Allo Boss HAT. My Roon Core is a virtual machine using VMware ESXi 6.5 server running Debian performing the first MQA unfold from my Tidal Hifi account. I also have another VM running FreeNAS to SMB share my locally ripped CD collection.

The Pi is unable to perform the second MQA unfold so I am ‘stuck’ at a 96Khz max MQA stream currently - which sounds awesome to be fair.

Loving the integration between Roon, my local NAS and Tidal. Sweet as a nut.

16 Likes

Nice looking setup and your B&W speakers are the ones I want to replace my B&W 600 series.

1 Like

…sweeet…

Do I detect a didgeridoo behind the right B&W?
Do you play it at all?

Yes, those are Nagra VFS (Vibration Free System) for a Nagra Reel Recorder that I no longer actively use.

I still use the Nagra HD DAC (under 忍野忍 Shinobu) as my main DAC, although it only goes up to DSD128 - it still sounds the best in my system.

4 Likes

It’s the misses‘s and unless she a secret didgeridoo player then that’s a negative…

I see a fellow mechanical keyboard lover. Love the SA Keycaps.
I currently have a RAMA M-60A

RAMA! what switches are you using?