Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Looks great! Would like to make one myself. Do you have a parts list that you would be willing to share?
Thanks!

You need to make sure it will cover the width and depth you require and remember you loose some of this putting in the supports.

I used these boards from Ikea
https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/aptitlig-chopping-board-bamboo-60233426/ they do a bigger one but it’s twice the size and would need larger supports. Also I am sure you could find others if you look I know Asda do some small one in the UK but don’t look as nice.

Then just used some stainless steel M6 threaded rods they come in 100cm size in the UK so just cut them down with a junior hacksaw. M6 washers and nuts and finished each end with these. Drill holes for them in the corners, this is the hardest hit to get right as too close to edge it will break, too far in you loose the width of the boards to stand on.

Not sure what part of the globe your in but the parts are pretty easy to get hold off from any decent diy or trade shop or online.

1 Like

Just a quick update on the new DAC (RME ADI-2) and a move from under the telly into a stand alone dedicated rack (Ikea Besta! :blush:)

Roon Rock on Intel NUC 5i (under a desk at back of room), wirelessly feeding Raspberry Pi4 (tucked behind DAC), plain vanilla USB out into RME ADI-2 DAC then Heed Obelisk SI integrated amp and finally into my lovely DIY full range speakers. Cables are a motley crew - stock USB came with DAC, Audioquest Turquoise interconnects and DNM Reson speaker cables - both left over from decades ago after many, many hundreds of pounds spent on upgrades, long since sold on when I went active. Ain’t it a fun hobby! :sunglasses:

31 Likes

It’s a lovely room that invites you to listen to some music. :wink:

2 Likes

Hercule Poirot would enjoy the symmetry of that room for sure…

3 Likes

Ah mon ami you have spotted the symmetry of my little grey cells…! :joy::sunglasses:

3 Likes

The placement of the remotes can be improved though. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Actually, in the the head on pic, that book on the right is not quite straight… Bad, very bad, bordering on slovenly :joy:

1 Like

Nice build on the speakers. Are these your design or are they from plans?

Very nice room :+1:

1 Like

KEF LS50W’s fed by my Mac mini to a dragonfly red DAC via Cinnamon cable to the KEF’s. I am running Roon on my 2020 IPad Pro. I used to run Audirvana but Roon is sooooo much nicer!

6 Likes

Does it sounds better with the Dragonfly connected to the analog input on the Kefs? Can you hear difference when simply connected through usb?

While I’m not opposed to some symmetry my wife insists otherwise - she says it creates a funeral style alter looking setup and won’t allow it. Speaker symmetry is about as good as I can get mostly, and even then it’s a bit of a compromise. Still at least for the most part the speaker placements is not challenged too much.

2 Likes

It sure does. Better dynamics, fuller and more musical with the DAC. I have tried both ways so far. I had read a big thread about the analog input on the LS50w’s and the consensus was that the analog input was definitely better than the USB. I am going to acquire a jitterbug from Audioquest and see if the USB input gets better with less jitter.

1 Like

The are Wireless, aren’t they? :wink: Why not use them as networked endpoints?
It makes little sense feeding them an analog signal (that was digital originally) for the KEF’s to digitze that signal again and perform it’s DSP magic.
That does not mean you cant prefer this method of course, just saying.

Ah… that’s my nod to the true chaotic nature of reality! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: (and it’s the Tao te Ching so it flows where it will…)

1 Like

Thanks @Jason they should be veneered really, but the birch ply looks so good I just waxed them. They are a kit from a design by Dr. Scott Lindgren for a modified transmission line box to fit Mark Audio drivers, marketed by Stefan at KJF Audio. I can’t get over the transparency of these speakers, just a single driver with a metre of internal Van Damme cable to the terminals at the back - so simple.

I’m now not actually a fan of Van Damme cables. I did make a 3 metre run back to the amp initially, but after swapping out with some old speaker wire I had from decades back the sound really improved, liquid, tight. Same goes for the interconnects, bought some Van Damme at the same time as the build (because the studio guys say nothing more esoteric is ever required!) and was mightily disappointed - thick, grainy sound. Swapped out for some Audioquest Turquoise I hadn’t used since the 90’s and what a difference - sweet, lucid and so revealing.

1 Like

Hi Tim,
Have you considered replacing the internal Van Damme cable?

Alex.

@Axel Very good question. Always amazed at what look like lower cost cables used inside a speaker cabinet against the higher costs of cable to the speaker from the amp. Has anyone swopped out internal cables and heard a differance???

2 Likes

I haven’t tried it myself, but you might find that it gives even more of an improvement.

1 Like

Here is my roon player. Not the server thats else where.

Its actually running Daphile which sounds superb.

2 Likes