Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

i have the same questions about how you’re using these, but also, they seemed to be toed out- is that just an artifact of the photo?

Hi @Tim_Woodward,
Thanks for the reply and insight.

I have taken up wood working the past couple of years and building furniture for the house. For just as long I’ve been thinking about building a pair of speakers but haven’t settled on a project. I live in a pretty small house and a new pair of speakers would need a place to stay before I start. I’ll check out the link for sure.
Cheers,
Jay

1 Like

Those KJF Audio speakers look great. I have been thinking about building a set of speakers. Do you have any advice from your experience? What model did you build, and driver did you use?

great call there… they really are striking. so simple, so minimal, so beautiful.

1 Like

I could but the router is in another room. I used to have the router in my entertainment cabinet but it made too much noise. I prefer it this way at the moment. As I also mentioned in my first reply the reason that the analog input sounds better than the USB input may be down to jitter coming out of the Mac Mini. I am going to get a jitter bug from Audioquest and see if that makes a difference coming straight out of the mini digitally.

1 Like

No what you are seeing is correct. In this room when the speakers were toed in they were giving me a balance issue where the vocals were always forced to the left. Once I straightened them out the imaging was much better even though I believe KEF states to toe them in as well.

1 Like

Dear Roon-friends - My first post here, since I’ve added Roon (for Qobuz en local FLAC library) to my setup. I have enjoyed it tremendously. I think it has resulted in playing a little less CD’s, but actually listening (and buying) more records!

Sources:

• Linn LP12 Akurate & Audio Origami tone arm & Linn Krystal cartridge - record player
  • Nagra CD - cd player
  • Roon - MacMini - Chord Hugo TT - streaming

Amplification:

• Nagra BPS - phono stage
  • Nagra PL-L - pre amp
  • Nagra VPA - power amps
  • Stax SRM006tII - headphone driver

Output:

• AudioNote AN-E/LX HE - speakers
  • Stax SR404 - open headphones
  • Audeze LCD-XC Limited - closed headphones

Cables:

• AudioQuest USB (MacMini -> Hugo)
  • AudioNote Sogon Silver (Hugo -> PL-L)
  • Cardas Golden Cross BNC (BPS -> PL-L)
  • Cardas Golden Cross XLR (CD -> PL-L)
  • Cardas Golden Cross XLR (PL-L -> VPS)
  • Nordost Frey (VPS -> AN-E)

Sweet Spot:

• Eames Lounge Chair & Ottoman
39 Likes

Great looking room!

Eames Lounge chair with ottoman has been #1 on my wish list for years now.

1 Like

Yes @Axel it’s on the cards, I think it will soon be time to clear off the old wax (it tends to dry out with age and its a couple or three years old now) and think about maybe using oil to bring out the grain. Whilst doing that I will remove the drivers and that might be an ideal time for a rewire - but what who knows? I have plenty of the old DNM Reson left so maybe I will use that, if I can solder it onto the terminals without it breaking - it’s a bit of a bugger to work with! :blush:

Hi @huang, I went for the Pensil 11’s as I was always a transmission line fan as a young man. The fun bit after the actual assembly is tuning the boxes with the acoustic loose fill speaker stuffing to suit the room and get the best compromise of bass and airiness - too much stuffing and the life goes out of the music, too little and the bass can get out of hand!

I tuned mine firing down the room, using around 400 grams of the 500 grams provided per box, but when I placed them in position along the long wall I needn’t have worried as the distance from the speakers just missed all low frequency standing waves! Stefan was a great help, but I’m not a speaker designer by any means (this was my first time build!) so trying to arrive at the tuning I thought was accurate was a bit of a hit and miss affair. Having been used to just buying speakers off the shelf and ready to go it takes a time and patience - but it is well worth the effort to get a speaker system with bass response exactly suited to your actual room. And of course you can tweak and tweak as often as you like - next time I think I will use a calibration microphone and REW software to prove what my ears are hearing, just like the professionals! :blush:

PS. I hear the Frugal Horns are an easier build and very open and clear - might build a pair of those next, it is addictive!

I’ve posted on my system before (which is being upgraded) but thought I’d share my network diagram, which I’ve just created.

Thought I’d share, its also a work in progress. I just added a sine wave ups to the main server/das complex. Having too many brownouts where I’m out.

4 Likes

Ah… I have been wifeless for some years now so I’m afraid I’ve just run amok! :blush:

Very nice setup. I remember when the Nagra’s came to the home consumer market. I worked in TV/Film for a large chunk of my career, and Nagra was well known in professional sound recording circles (I’m assuming it’s the same Nagra).

And, just how comfortable is the Eames? What do you enjoy the most… and the least?

Maybe we need a thread Showing Off Your Chair …

From my Eames Lounge and Ottoman …

:smiling_imp:

2 Likes

Can’t manage more than 12 hours a day without a break …

:crazy_face:

Ditto on the UPS systems. Have one for the entertainment system and one for the network and NUC components. Needed to keep the internet up without interruption for my wife while she works from home. They only need to supply power for about 30 seconds for the backup generator to start up and kick in.

Thanks Tim, I am a decent wood butcherer. I am fairly certain I will undertake a build at some point. Your post is encouraging.

1 Like

Bit of a rubbish picture (again) but this is a new addition. Reading a couple of threads made up my mind to stop running Roon as a docker container on my workstation go for a dedicated device. It’s an 8th gen i7 NUC in a fanless case running RoonServer on a stripped-back Debian, rather than ROCK. It cuts a slow network link from the office out in most circumstances, and Roon is certainly snappier. To my ears, it sounds the same. Been up a couple of days and so far am very happy with it.

7 Likes

I added one to my 2 channel system as well. Generator is on a roadmap (wanted tesla battery walls for that)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It does provide some peace of mind. Had it installed while we were under stay at home orders and it was just finished about 3 weeks back. Took several months to get through the permit processes while the city was short staffed. I had a 500 gallon propane tank upgrade added with the 27KW liquid cooled generator so we can survive 3 weeks to a month between fuel deliveries with full house power. We’re close enough to the Gulf of Mexico to have issues with Hurricanes and extended power outages.

Nice system map by the way. My systems are not sophisticated enough to need one.

2 Likes