Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Siegfried Linkwitz knew what he was doing, and his designs are solid (and was a great and generous person to boot). I share @killdozer sentiments about the drainpipe in a home environment. I much prefer the looks of the previous and more expensive Orion design.

2 Likes

Simple Home Office Roon Endpoint

Klipsch The Three w/ Google Assistantā€¦ via Chromecast, with the added bonus of voice controlā€¦ great for when Iā€™m working. Plus, it has the heritage Klipsch sound in a small box.

4 Likes

Edit. Apologies, understand GA is built in so my question was dumb.

These are $299 at Walmart. I was not familiar and gather that they are a Roon Endpoint using Chomecast. The photos at Walmart do not show the rear connection (s).

I also have MBL speakers(116F) and on the same Townsend platforms
Tried still points amongst other things and they were nowhere near as good as the Townsends.
Equipment is on Finite elemente racks.

Seeing those speakers has caused me to go get a toblerone.

6 Likes

I thought you might enjoy a Roon interlude.

11 Likes

Wow, forget Roon, I want to see a tour video of your entire house. :smiley:

1 Like

:wink: Thanks

Very much so. Once tuned and setup properly, it sounds way better than it should ā€“ and meets my threshold for musical enjoyment without audiophilia nervosa.

Playback quality aside, I particularly appreciate the way it integrates in my life effortlessly. It plays whatever my family and I throw at it (Roon, Sonos Radio, Podcasts, Apple Music, Qobuz, Tidal, Spotify) without as much as a hiccup.

Apple Music has become my daily driver (the iOS14 version is becoming seriously good with Roon Radio-like features), with Roon taking the nightshift. AM is the only music service that offers anything seriously resembling a library and consolidates my listening wherever I am and whatever I do (home, work, car, running, travel, holidays). Throw in a few remotes and automation buttons around the house and Iā€™m golden.

The button for starting morning radio is next to my coffee maker ā€“ beat that! :smiley:

5 Likes

Rene ā€¦ that button thingy you describe is unbeatable :smile:

1 Like

I m not happy at all, I thought my set up was nice but the last ones I sawā€¦makes me want buying a new house! :wink::sweat_smile:
Please stop (keep) posting very very nice set up in beautiful environment
I mean set up is a thing but in a good place it is decoration at his highest level!
Congrats :tada:

3 Likes

Being dipoles is precisely the biggest issue they have to be very far from the rear wall or time smearing of the sound will occur making them sound dull. Unless you have a room to match the speakers instead of the other way around they donā€™t sound good at all. They are also notoriously hard to drive

Ah, thanks for that info.

Iā€™m always on the hunt for new speaker suggestions, but my space wonā€™t support these.

I guess all B&Ws are dipole? Say the 700 series, e.g.?

You mean cone? Quads are dipole ergo they radiate front and back. All B&W use cones. For smaller rooms, if you are looking for the 800 series there are the 804 towers and the 805 standmount. Both have the signature diamond tweeter. As all the 800 series they are on the expensive side of the speaker universe but sound spectacular. The 700 series are also very good more affordable speakers. The 600 series are general consumer grade. Only the 800 series is still made wholly in the UK.

Ah, ok. I got mixed up because you posted B&W, but were replying about something else. Didnā€™t read deep enough.

Wasnā€™t sure if cones could be dipole. I guess not if theyā€™re in a box.

Thanks.

1 Like

JansZen makes hybrid electrostatic speakers such as these:

Their design strategy is to combine the best of conventional electrodynamic and electrostatic speakers. So they arenā€™t 7 feet tall, allegedly arenā€™t so restricted in placement as many other electrostatic loudspeakers, and allegedly do have good bass response.

1 Like

Hmm, very interesting and well within my target price rangeā€¦

Thanks.

Audiphila nervosaā€¦ You have to trademark it :joy: :+1:

It already is, Iā€™m afraid:

1 Like