Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I don’t take it’s temperature and perhaps I should. The HDD and power LEDs are configurable through the NUC BIOS settings and can be dimmed, colour changed or turned off. This is the settings glossary. Page 10 covers the HDD light, page 35 the power light. Hope this cures that annoyance.

2 Likes

I thought I might as well post the whole system, minus the Harbeth speakers.

Thanks to Roon, if I didn’t like vinyl, I could simply hang the Devialet on the wall, move the server back up to my office upstairs (where it has been for the last year), and just have the speakers. The turntable, power supply and the phono stage (I have been using the Devialet internal one, but wanted to try some valves) take up a lot of space, but the whole family enjoy it.

The Shunyata stuff does improve things.

Roon has worked faultlessly since I subscribed in February 2019. I think I’ve had to reboot the server about twice (takes 20 seconds), that’s about it.

cf1c0c122ef098a3034e91ba7c8a661b58dacf12_2_666x500

5 Likes

This is my “modern vintage” equipment:

Power amplifiers, (phono) preamp and tuner are Toshiba Aurex System 15 from 1980. The record player is a Dual 701 from ca. 1975 and the CD Player a Philips CD 100. Loudspeakers are Canton GL 50 and Nubert nuLine 264, headphones are Beyerdynamic DT880. The TV is a Samsung “The Frame”.

But the modern magic happens under the hood :slight_smile: :

There are two Synology NAS, an Intel NUC as Roon and Plex Core and the TV head unit in one closet. In another one are an Yamaha Blue-Ray player, the matching Aurex tape deck and a Dodcus line switcher (remote controlled). The last one holds the LAN switch, Fire TV, Hue hub and the SONOS Port which works as the preamp to the Toshiba amps. There is a Harmony hub hidden behind the right Canton speaker.

I also programmed an Alexa Skill so I can say something like “Alexa, tell my stereo I want to listen to a record” (in German :wink:). Now the Dodocus is set to the correct input and volume and the Sonos Port starts playing from it’s line input with a set volume. So I can listen to a record without fumbling with my iPhone before.

The Roon remote is an iPad Pro which is an overkill but I like it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

OMG is it Data petting a cat on the painting? Is it a poster or real „oil on canvas” painting?

3 Likes

It’s called “Ode to Spot” and I bought it as a poster and we had it laminated for a canvas effect and framed so it looks like a “real” painting.

Edit: The artist’s web page: https://www.jonathanengland.com/

5 Likes

I have a pair of DAWs and truly love them.

1 Like

Nicely Done!

1 Like

Thank you for your kind words John. Guarneris do pair very well with tubes, IMHO.

I have always thought the Gryphon amps were amazing and your system is incredible. As is reflected in my other comments, I’m a big fan of DCS on the front end: incredible sound, build quality, and always current through software upgrades.

I’ve been thinking about the Rossini, but everything works so well now with the Puccini and Clock that, well, I like simplicity and inertia is a powerful force…

Cheers : )

Save your money and enjoy the music. The system you have will bring you plenty of enjoyment. The one thing it will be lacking is at the bottom end. When I had Guarneri speakers I did add a Rel Stadium at the time. Suggest you try the option to add a good sub and you will get closer to a full range speaker system and you may never want to change your system. I’m currently running the Wilson Alexia speakers with 2 Rel Stadium III subs - don’t always need them as the Alexia speakers go pretty low, but every now and then it completes the picture.

Thanks for an advice, I will check it. HDD in akasa…hm…I am using nvme as system drive and additional 4tb inside in ssd +2 tb ssd on usb. No

Sorry, that’s just the generic term for the second LED on a NUC. I also have an M2 drive and an SSD, the light flashes all the same :wink:

I upgrade the system with new speakers: Sonus Faber Olympica Nova 1 and better interlink from Audioquest.
The speakers have better bass and smoother Trebble, I’m very content with them!

9 Likes

Wilson Alexa is a no joking around speaker John.

Congratulations! It must be amazing!

1 Like

no need to say much more :wink: plates are from displate.com - still need to remove the plastic protection wrap

the doors are steel frame with glass steel wire reinforced and the plates are magnetic so can be changed/moved easily and are held up with hobby type magnets along the top and lower corners.

9 Likes

Enter at your own risk thumbs-up

Just reinstalled the IsoAcoustics iso-200sub isolators under the JL’s. Man, putting the subs on these and getting them off the suspended wood floor, it’s like the subs gained a solid 3+ dB of output below 30 Hz, now easily pumping out very usable output below 20 Hz. I actually had to turn the gains down a touch. Apparently, the suspended wood floors soak up a lot of that low frequency energy. I listened to the Greyhound soundtrack (Tom Hanks movie) the other day with these subs, and there was plenty of deep bass, but not like now. Now it’s really deep.

And of course, my “little” music girl, Charlie.

13 Likes

8 Likes

Great. Looks just like mine :grinning:

7 Likes

NUC 8i7 (Core, HQPlayer) > NUC 8i5 (Audiolinux, NAA) > Chord Dave > Parasound JC2BP > Parasound JC5 > KEF Reference 1

20 Likes

Nice setup and room! Mine looks similar in size, it’s 15’7" by 10’11" with 10’ ceilings. Are those GIK acoustic panels? Love the equipment rack!

1 Like