Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Thought I would do a before and after. On Tuesday a set of Dutch & Dutch 8cs arrive. And if I can get them sounding great most of this will be sold. I start putting this system together around 2003.

Currently it’s:

Naim Nac52 & 52ps
Linn Lp12 with Naim Armageddon and hi-capped stage line.
Cartridge is ZU Dl-103r
Naim DAC, Naim PS555 DR and Lumin X1 mini
Naim Nap 250
Naim SL2 speakers
Naim Fraim Lite and Hutter racks
Roon Nucleus

18 Likes

Please do post pictures of your setup also, as the thread title suggests - we’re curious!
Enjoy and stay safe!

1 Like

A lot of folks just want to listen to music and are not drawn to the DIY side of the hobby. DIY is a hobby within a hobby. Also you do not necessarily save money by doing DIY, especially if you are trying to uncover that last bit of quality from your recordings. By the time you add linear power supplies, audiophile ethernet and USB cards, low noise ram and a good fanless case you can be way past a Nucleus.

I always loved the sign that one of the project managers had in her office where I worked. “Fast, cheap, accurate. Pick two”.

3 Likes

Done. See original post above. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey Nathan,

What’s that contraption with the clear plastic lid on the left??? :rofl:

My simple and pretty modest living room setup. It’s kind of temporary as I’d like to get the floor stands and hide all the cabling away eventually. But for now it’s keeping the tunes flowing, sounds good and doesn’t take over the room…

12 Likes

Cool looking speakers…What are they called? Thanks for sharing!

I owned this Marantz Model 40 years ago. Pretty nice stuff. Unfortunately I left it with a former girlfriend. So sad- and I don‘t mean because of the girl !

3 Likes

Thanks :pray: They are Bang and Olufsen Beolab 3 speakers. They are analogue active speakers of early 2000s vintage, although mine are from 2012. They are not everyone’s cup of tea I guess but they sound great to me and are impressive for their very small size.

2 Likes

I’m a big fan of B&O…I had their straight line tracker TT back in the day and always enjoyed their outside the box thinking…

2 Likes

Love those turntables! They just ‘recreated’ the Beogram 4000c as part of the celebration of their 95th anniversary

Not cheap though, they are only making 95 and they are £9k each in the UK!

1 Like

Yep…that’s the same one I had…I was trying to find out what £9k was in US dollars…it’s saying $120.00? That can’t be right… The show a Used one on E-Bay for $850.00 but it’s 50 years old…
I sure loved how the tone arm lived in it’s own little house…until it literally came out to play…

That’s about $12,000!

You can still get a lot of vintage B&O stuff on ebay, fortunately not that expensive usually.

$12,000…YIKES…that’s a little pricy for sure! These are brand new right? And they just made more of the same 4000c? It’s funny as I also had a Harmon Kardon and Yamaha straight line trackers as well…my last table was Micro Sieki where I used two tone arms on two of the three “legs” it had as a base.
Thanks for the memories…

No they are refabricated from 95 original examples. Like a remaster I guess! They have stripped them right back, replaced some of the old electronics and motors with modern ones, refinished all the materials including the gold finish, added an RIAA pre-amplifier (so you can use it with their current speakers directly) and designed a new cartridge for it… as much as I’d love one I am not sure it is really worth $12,000 unless as a collectors item.

1 Like

I use a B&O A1 Bluetooth in the kitchen, it sounds better than my mega Soundbar

I still think I should have got the A6, WAF is real :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I made a thing! :sunglasses:

I wanted a very short link between my little Topping DAC and headphone amp, all I had to hand was various shielded interconnect cables but to try and get them to bend and fit into such a short loop proved impossible. In the cupboard from many years ago was some off cuts of DNM Reson speaker cable (3 meters of which has been recently reinstalled in my main system with great results by the way!) so I thought why not use that?

There are probably lots of technical reasons why not, but it was all I had so I stripped it down to two single cores, wrapped them around a bit (attempt at a twisted pair arrangement!) attached some DNM plugs and there you go. I had to cut off the strain taking plastic so it’s a toss up how long they will last, but if I don’t take them out we should be ok for a while! What you reckon?

Add images

11 Likes

Great solution!

Good work there, you even have the right channel wires twisted clockwise and the left channel ones counterclockwise for better channel separation! :kissing_heart:

6 Likes

Hah! Never noticed that! :joy: must’ve been my audiophile instinct!