Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Yes roon end point

You can swop them over if you move to the Southern Hemisphere…

3 Likes

That’s right, you have to factor in coriolis force!
:dizzy_face:

1 Like

Don’t forget to reverse the phase too.
I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve had new gear arrive here in Australia and thought it sounded a bit off until I realised it was still northern-hemisphere-normative. Switched the phasing and bam! Inky blacks, holographic imaging, 10x soundstage etc…

8 Likes

That’s funny😂

1 Like

Not necessarily. I started with Roon on a Mac mini, then I did a Win-based server, two different Synology NAS, built my own NUC, and then finally decided that a Nucleus+ was what I wanted. And I have never looked back. My Nucleus+ feeds my speaker system and my headphone rack. It is located just to the left of the latter:

33 Likes

:joy::+1:t6: Good stuff!

Talented man with great creativity.

1 Like

Awesome… setup… :slight_smile: When I see such setup I feel the world is not bad after all… :slight_smile:

1 Like

The bath water goes anti clockwise :star_struck:

2 Likes

Nice collection of headphones. I keep most of mine in Seahorse type cases.

I thought about adding a Nucleus at one point, but the imac desktop seems to work pretty good.

Thanks. At my previous residence, I kept each headphone in its case, but here, I have a low-humidity, low-dust, HEPA-filtered environment. Nicer—for me anyway—to have each accessible.

1 Like

A few changes in my basement dungeon…

I put black socks on the magnepan .7’s (they had been off-white, and a bit too Office Space-y), and put my Raspberry Pi + Pi2AES streamer (in the walnut case) and Topping D70 DAC down here. (Moved the Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + TEAC UD-501 DAC back up to my office.)

Running RoPieeeXL + HQPlayer NAA on the Pi, and the Pi2AES HAT is connected to the D70 via I2S (HDMI).

Compared both streamer setups before swapping them, and I really do have a hard time differentiating. But I think the Pi + HAT streamer just sounds a bit better down here. Ahdunno. They both sounded good.

Integrated is a Rogue Sphinx V3.

11 Likes

Back to simplicity, just purchase a used Surface 3 (non pro) 64GB 2GB, for USD75 not fast enough for web surfing, but fast enough as Roon Endpoint and Display, by using the 5GHz AC WiFi, no dropout even DSD512 playback. The cost even lower than Raspberry Pi with 7” Touch Screen Solution.

Surface 3 just powered by 5V Micro USB, and by updating its BIOS with Kisok Mode, you can keep it plugged to USB power all the times at 50% capacity that keep the battery cool and long life without overcharging.

So my bedroom system as simple as:

Lenovo M93p i5-4590T running ROCK
Surface 3 x7-Z8700 as Endpoint and Display via 5GHz AC WiFi
and USB connection to Cyrus 82DAC QXR integrated Amplifier with QXR DAC Card (768K PCM / DSD512) and PSX-R2 PSU

Add images

8 Likes

18 Likes

Covered my Quad 2905 in white

2 Likes

Is that to listen to music or celebrate the solstice? :wink:

Very nice, if somewhat imposing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Andrew_Stoneman - could you please pass on from where you sourced the white covers/speaker cloth for your 2905s? Did you recover your original frames, or buy new white frames?

I like the black, but the white looks cool (to me and you at least!), and would work pretty well here. Thanks, John

Helluva a room. Lots of complex angles and surfaces. Not to mention the mostly bare floor and all that glass.

Room correction must be a nightmare?