Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Love the naming of your servers!

1 Like

Our son has set up a server in his apartment ~15 miles from home. Using PLEX, we can see family photos and watch the years of family videos. The musical interests among the kids is very different (from each other and us) although there was a time when we had rock music that all liked on a NAS. (We also kept homework files there back in the day).

3 Likes

Quick snap of my PC room setup, very simple and cheap but the sq far exceeded my expectations and belies the simplicity involved.
Google Chromecast Audio puck feeds an aux input of the old Sansui integrated amp controlled usually by the desktop pc when I am working on it.
Headphones donā€™t get much use as the Wharfedale Diamond speakers far outperform their cost ($120 used).

This rig gets a lot of usage!

6 Likes

That tape deck on the floor brings back a lot of memories. Iā€™m pretty sure itā€™s identical to the model my Dad owned, that I started home taping on back in the late 70s. I canā€™t even remember the brandā€¦

1 Like

Nakamichi, the only tape deck worth having.
Thatā€™s an old 500 model, 2 head deck in full working order

1 Like

Ha, I knew I would get into trouble by posting. :smile:

Thanks for the input, Rockhound. I normally donā€™t play very loud, typically staying within 75 dbs. Do you think these higher power amps would still make an easily audible difference at ā€˜normalā€™ volume? Are both of these Roon ready?

How does your mess network perform?

is Marvin the NAS with depressive music? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Definitely not what my Dad owned, but thatā€™s the aesthetic. This was definitely cheaper, much cheaper, though I thought it was worth it at the time :slight_smile:

I have a DR1 somewhereā€¦ belts are probably bad now.

And it most likely was good at the time.
Most of the Japanese companies made similar looking decks mid 70s. Akai, Aiwa, Technics etc.

Very possible or even more likely all the internal grease has dried and hardened making playback near impossible.

How does your mess network perform?

Pretty well. I have a three unit package, but only needed two to cover the entire 3 story house (about 3000 sq ft) with good signals.

1 Like

And the living room rig while I am about it.
Again Chromecast Audio puck delivers the goods controlled by any phone or ipad.
And yes that is an old Technics linear tracking turntable at the bottom again in full working order.
The Parasound integrated amp does the job quite nicely with the Totem Sky speakers and unseen is a 12inch PSB sub.

8 Likes

I would certainly expect a significant SQ improvement at lower volume levels because of the excellent control that these amps have over speakers. Gryphon is not Roon ready, Hegel is on the way (should be pretty soon). Another outstanding option, which is Roon ready, would be a Boulder 866.

I was at a release party for the totem sky, not the sky towers which is what you have. Loved them. However, i loved the totem tribe towers better so that is what I got :smiley:. I really like the totem speaker sound, I also have a pair of totem arros and dreamcatchers. As well as their sub.

1 Like

My cat is jealous of your cat :smiley:

(Totem Hawk owner here.)

1 Like

Hi Leif - apart from the amp we have the same system. A man of taste and discernment! I use the optical input on the Qutest. It handles 24/192 perfectly, so long as you keep the cable really short.

Iā€™m loving the hats. I have the head of an Indian deity on mine :slight_smile:

My garage system. Sonos, Cambridge Audio A1 amp and in wall speakers in old cabinets so they can withstand knocks.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve heard a lot of good thing about the Hegel. But since I just got the KEFs (as store demo, so a good price), I will let them settle in a bit before I venture out and try new things.

I had the Legacy Signature SE before. They are very fine speakers (and a huge value), but I think they are a bit too much for my room.

2 Likes