Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Cool setup. Are you on Devialetchat? Can you give us your feedback and/or impressions on a pair of Phantoms performance? Thanks.

My Roon setup just lost its remote:
Nvidia has recalled my shield tablet, seemingly as using Roon on it would be able to put it on fire!

We all know that Roon is on fire, but its amazing to see Nvidia realize this as well.

Now eagerly awaiting a fire proof iOS appā€¦

1 Like

Roon running on NUC and remote on Lenovo Helix (win 10) on tablet mode. Perfect.

3 Likes

My system will be built this payday, the 26th. But even though itā€™s my idea iā€™d like some input from more knowledgeable people than me.
Iā€™m aiming for silent, so i5 4590t with a nofan cr80eh cooler
ive got a a seasonic 460w platinum fanless psu.
low profile memory 8gb corsair vengeance ddr3
my old corsair v64 ssd running windows 10 and roon
and a streacom f12c case. i thought the hieght and top outlets would aid the convection of the cpu cooler

http://www.corsair.com/en/vengeance-low-profile-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9r
http://www.seasonicusa.com/NEW_X-series_Fanless.htm

iā€™m hoping its gonna be a belter, it will be usb into an audiolab q-dac, meridian 501, meridian 555 and B&W cm5 speakers

1 Like

can I ask? is the touch screen not too big? I want one for my new build but i was thinking more 18inch
Iā€™m so waiting for the ios remote for my ipad air.

Hello,
This is my setup:
1- HDPlex fanless music server with dual boot windows 10 and windows server 2012r2 essentials + AO + Fedilzer + Jplay + Tidal / Roon server 1.1 Trial extended Running grate so far.
2- Primaluna Dialog two tube amp
3- Qnap 269L Nas
4- Brodmann F2 speakers
5- Unison Research Giro Turntable

I will not specify all the rest of the cables, power cords, power distributor, etcā€¦
Unless someone will ask :smile:

I will upload pictures soon
Regards

Nir

Did you build the server yourself Alicenir? If so, what components did you use?

Case has arrived Streacom f12c
and if i can work out how to post pictures Iā€™ll plonk some on

Iā€™ve just set up my first full-time system for work/family use. Iā€™m an alpha tester so for the past god-only-knows-how-long Iā€™ve had various builds of Roon littered around my house on four different machines, with music all over the place.

I now have the following running the official 1.1 build:

NUC:
Core i5 4250U (1.3GHz, turbo 2.6GHz)
8Gb DDR PC3-12800 memory
Intel SSD 240Gb MSATA 6GB/S, 20NM, MLC

Touchscreen:
Acer T232HL 23ā€™

The NUC is mounted on the back of the touchscreen (in the sitting room) and is hardwired into the network. Thereā€™s a Synology NAS in the basement. I have a QNAP NAS on order which will be exclusively for music: I have to do a lot of moving off various machines and discs to consolidate the collection.

The one problem with the system right now is that the fan on the NUC spins up rather a lot. (I have it set in the BIOS to the quietest safe setting.) Iā€™ll be getting a Gigabyte BRIX PRO for the basement in a month or two to speed things up and take the processing out of the sitting room. Hopefully the fan wonā€™t spin up when itā€™s just being a remote controlling the basement BRIX.

The touchscreen is only just good enough image quality (when one lives most of the time with Mac Retina displays) but was dirt cheap.

Audio is Meridian 818/861/8000SE.

1 Like

1 Like

Looks the mutts nuts
Just got to fill with silicon goodness now

1 Like

If the machine is going to be in the basement, you donā€™t need to go small. In fact you can go large and put a storage array IN the Roon Core and just use the NAS for backup. Having the data local to the Core does impact the system and removes a failure point ( communication between Core and Storage)

1 Like

Since 2011 with several upgrades along the way now with a life-time membership/license and the latest roon V1.1:

Software: OS X Yosemite, iTunes, Amarra SymphonywiRC, Amarra sQ+wiRC, Amarra For TidalwiRC, Audirvana Plus+, BitPerfect & DSD Master, Decibel, Fidelia, HQPlayer, Pure Music, roon & Dirac Live (Full), TIDAL HIFI; Computer: Mac Mini (2011, 2.7 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo i7, 16GB, int. SSD 256GB); Video: 27" Cinema Thunderbolt Display; Storage: Promise Pegasus 12TB R6 Raid 5 & 8TB R4 Raid 5; Digital: Oppo BDP-95; Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSDse & Femto Grade Clock Mod; Uptone Audio JS-2 LPS, USB Regen Amber, MMK (Mac mini DC-Conversion / Linear Fan Controller Kit ); AudioQuest JitterBug X2; Atlona AT-HD577; Preamplification: Wyred 4 Sound STP-SE Stage 2; Amplification: W4S SX1000 (x2); Bryston 10B Sub LR 50Hz, 24dB/Octave/2-way active crossover; Speakers: KEF Reference 107; JL Audio F112 x 2 set to mono on Sound Anchor stands; KEF X300A on Sound Anchor stands; Cables: Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB (standard); Synergistic Research: Active SE USB, Tesla LE Acoustic Reference & Precision Reference XLR ICs, Tesla LE Acoustic Reference speaker cables, Tesla LE Subwoofer 2 cables, Tranqility Base, QLS9 & T2 power cable; Black Cat Veloce 75 ohm; DH Lab Silver HDMI 1.4; W4S P1 Ultra Power cables; DH Labs Power Plus AC Cable; Shunyata Venom 3. Pioneer BDR-208. iPad Air 2. Limited Edition NY Chrome Pono Player.

3 Likes

Core - INTEL NUC i5 in TranquilPC fanless chassis, 16 GB ram and SSD > Musical Fidelity V-Link II > Naim ND5-XS > Naim NAC 202 > Exposure Dual Regulated 4 > Shahinian Compass

Remote 1 - Office PC > Musical Fidelity V-Link > Naim UnitiQute > QUAD 77-11L or Sennheiser HD650

Remote 2 - iPAD Air lined up ready to go

Once the iPAD remote is working will probably ditch the Naim streamer and buy a standalone DAC

@REShaman - Boy oh boy - Con Edison must LOVE you!

p.s. That is a great setup and looks wonderful.

Hello bplexico,

Youā€™re not kidding. I considered buying stock in Con Edison (smile) to try and get even. Still, the musicā€™s delightful.
Best,
Richard

Hi extracampine,

Yes I built the server myself, please see below the parts:
1.- HD-Plex case
2.- HD-Plex Linear P.S
3.- HD-Plex ATX-PSU also from
4.- Gigabyte M.B with DAC up module
5.- SSD hard Drive: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO - 2.5 inch - SATA3 6GB - 7mm - 540/410 MB/s Retail but i recommend Paul Pang SSD
6.-RAM by Crucial: GB DDR3 PC3-12800 CL9-9-9-24 - DDR3-1600 - 1.35V - 1024Meg x 64 - Low Profile - Ballistix 240-pin DIMM
7.- CPU: i5-4570T Dual core CPU - LGA1150 - 2.9 GHz - 4MB cache - 22nm - 35W TDP - Integrated HD Graphics 4600 - Haswell Series - Tray - Special Order

Next for me is to replace the SATA cable inside and SSD to Paul Pang
Picture that I promised:

4 Likes

I use same motherboard but with an i7.

Hi Rugby,

i found i7 is not adding any real value to sound quality because all the Optimization apps like Jplay, Audiophile Optimizer, Fidelizer actually reduce the CPU thread behavior and some other clocking adjustments(Assuming it is used only for Audio Server)

Cheers
Nir